KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Hello fellow English Bulldog owners.

Frist and foremost, it is an honor to be on this forum. I am excited to be a part of this group. I am on this site in hopes to get more knowledgeable of my baby’s species. In all honesty, I am new to this kind of breed. In fact, I don’t even know if my baby is an English Bulldog. In my eyes, he has the looks and mannerism of being an English Bulldog. I am hoping that someone on this site can tell me if he is an English, or a Victorian, or Olde English bulldog. If not, that is okay too. In all reality, I don’t care what he is – I will love him for who he is…

A little bit about myself: My name is Sal Chavez (Aka KillRbee18), I am happily married to my beautiful wife –Donna (31 years). I have four beautiful adult children. In 2020, I retired from the military (6 years Navy Active and 24 years Naval Reserves). As for my civilian job, I currently work for the Department of Defense (Navy). I have work there for 35 years. I have four years left and I will be able to say goodbye to that place as well (Happily retired). We currently reside in Washington State (Port Orchard).

A little bit about Gunny: Gunny came to us through Craigslist. Gunny is a rescue. We have had him for at least three weeks now. We are his third and forever family. From the looks of his past, we think Gunny had a hard life. Gunny has issues, he is aggressive towards dogs and cats. He currently has a cherry eye, he is still intact, and his right ear is infected. We are hoping that in the near future a vet will be able to take care of his issues for us; he is schedule for an appointment in the coming weeks. As for his current situation, Gunny is now with a family, who will love him dearly and attend to his needs (medical insurance/ open space/ baths/ best of foods/ walks and so on). In all honesty, he is a hand full. Last but not least – Boy can he snore! I am so tempted to put my CPAP machine on him (lol).

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction. Soooooooooo is he an English, Victorian, or Olde English bulldog?

Height = 15” (38.1 cm)

Length = 23” (58 cm)

Neck = 22” (56 cm)

Chest = 31” (79 cm)

Attachments

• Acting Innocent.jpg
    Acting Innocent.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Handsome pose.jpg
    Handsome pose.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • Sleepy time.JPG
    Sleepy time.JPG
    967.7 KB · Views: 26

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello fellow English Bulldog owners.

Frist and foremost, it is an honor to be on this forum. I am excited to be a part of this group. I am on this site in hopes to get more knowledgeable of my baby’s species. In all honesty, I am new to this kind of breed. In fact, I don’t even know if my baby is an English Bulldog. In my eyes, he has the looks and mannerism of being an English Bulldog. I am hoping that someone on this site can tell me if he is an English, or a Victorian, or Olde English bulldog. If not, that is okay too. In all reality, I don’t care what he is – I will love him for who he is…

A little bit about myself: My name is Sal Chavez (Aka KillRbee18), I am happily married to my beautiful wife –Donna (31 years). I have four beautiful adult children. In 2020, I retired from the military (6 years Navy Active and 24 years Naval Reserves). As for my civilian job, I currently work for the Department of Defense (Navy). I have work there for 35 years. I have four years left and I will be able to say goodbye to that place as well (Happily retired). We currently reside in Washington State (Port Orchard).

A little bit about Gunny: Gunny came to us through Craigslist. Gunny is a rescue. We have had him for at least three weeks now. We are his third and forever family. From the looks of his past, we think Gunny had a hard life. Gunny has issues, he is aggressive towards dogs and cats. He currently has a cherry eye, he is still intact, and his right ear is infected. We are hoping that in the near future a vet will be able to take care of his issues for us; he is schedule for an appointment in the coming weeks. As for his current situation, Gunny is now with a family, who will love him dearly and attend to his needs (medical insurance/ open space/ baths/ best of foods/ walks and so on). In all honesty, he is a hand full. Last but not least – Boy can he snore! I am so tempted to put my CPAP machine on him (lol).

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction. Soooooooooo is he an English, Victorian, or Olde English bulldog?

Height = 15” (38.1 cm)

Length = 23” (58 cm)

Neck = 22” (56 cm)

Chest = 31” (79 cm)

Welcome!

To me, he doesn’t look like a full English bulldog, maybe a mix if at all English Bulldog, it’s hard to tell. He has a long tail and not as short nose like most English Bulldogs. I’m unsure what he is🙂

Ear infections are usually from allergies and related to low quality dog food(can cause yeast too), sometimes just a food switch can make a huge difference.

What do you currently feed him??

How old is he?

Does he show any other allergy symptoms like hives, bumps, itchy, paw licking, fur loss, red skin??

Sometimes dogs will only show allergies in the form of ear infections and no other symptoms.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
He has a long tail and not as short nose like most English Bulldogs.

Actually that tail is closer to the standard than most of what you will see! I wish Millie had this tail 😍

Even with the tail, @Bulldog2001 is correct in stating that he isn’t purebred. But what a lucky boy he is to have found his way into your home. Congratulations Sal, and thank you for your service 🥰

Welcome to EBN!

If you are curious, I highly suggest looking up the illustrated standard: https://bulldogclubofamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/illustratedstandard.pdf
IMG_9923.jpeg

Last edited:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hi there and welcome! As stated above, he is definitely a mix but a cutie nonetheless and it sounds like he hit the jackpot for his forever home.

And as Benny said, there is nothing wrong with that tail and breeders/show people actually prefer a bit of a tail like that. One of my girls has a longer tail and it goes crazy wagging when she is happy while my others just wiggle their butts lol.

I’m in Everett, WA!

Good luck with your new boy!

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Welcome!

To me, he doesn’t look like a full English bulldog, maybe a mix if at all English Bulldog, it’s hard to tell. He has a long tail and not as short nose like most English Bulldogs. I’m unsure what he is🙂

Ear infections are usually from allergies and related to low quality dog food(can cause yeast too), sometimes just a food switch can make a huge difference.

What do you currently feed him??

How old is he?

Does he show any other allergy symptoms like hives, bumps, itchy, paw licking, fur loss, red skin??

Sometimes dogs will only show allergies in the form of ear infections and no other symptoms.

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Bulldog2001,
Thank you for your information. His past owners tell me he is 3 years old. The food he is currently eating is Iams (Kibbles). His pat owners told me they use to feed him Kirkland (Costco brand). His snacks are a Kirkland dog biscuit. Although he seems to like it but I am afraid that type of food may be bad for him. Tomorrow, he will have his first wellness check and that will be one of the many questions I will ask. His fur is starting to show signs of dry skin. I have noticed that he is licking his paws. I thought that because of the harsh pollen we have in the great Northwest that was why he was experiencing the allergies. Thanks again for the advice.

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Actually that tail is closer to the standard than most of what you will see! I wish Millie had this tail 😍

Even with the tail, @Bulldog2001 is correct in stating that he isn’t purebred. But what a lucky boy he bud to have found his way into your home. Congratulations Sal, and thank you for your service 🥰

Welcome to EBN!

If you are curious, I highly suggest looking up the illustrated standard: https://bulldogclubofamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/illustratedstandard.pdf
View attachment 124656
Thank you for the information.

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Hi there and welcome! As stated above, he is definitely a mix but a cutie nonetheless and it sounds like he hit the jackpot for his forever home.

And as Benny said, there is nothing wrong with that tail and breeders/show people actually prefer a bit of a tail like that. One of my girls has a longer tail and it goes crazy wagging when she is happy while my others just wiggle their butts lol.

I’m in Everett, WA!

Good luck with your new boy!
Hello fellow Washingtonian,
I am sure you all are right. I too crossed out that he wasn’t a purebred EB, and that is why I am sliding towards a Olde English or Victorian. I wonder if those types of breeds have a forum? I bought an expensive DNA kit, but I do not think it could tell me if he is a Victorian or Olde English Bulldogge (spelled correctly).
These types of breeds are mixed with Mastiff, Boxer, Pitbull, and Bulldog

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Bulldog2001,
Thank you for your information. His past owners tell me he is 3 years old. The food he is currently eating is Iams (Kibbles). His pat owners told me they use to feed him Kirkland (Costco brand). His snacks are a Kirkland dog biscuit. Although he seems to like it but I am afraid that type of food may be bad for him. Tomorrow, he will have his first wellness check and that will be one of the many questions I will ask. His fur is starting to show signs of dry skin. I have noticed that he is licking his paws. I thought that because of the harsh pollen we have in the great Northwest that was why he was experiencing the allergies. Thanks again for the advice.
Bulldog2001,

That’s good at age 3 he has found his forever home!

Iams is very low quality food, full of by products and corn and other fillers and most ingredients is literally from garbage bin!! It also uses chicken and other inflammatory ingredients which =allergies and other health issues.

Since he is licking his paws, that’s very likely food allergies(environmental allergies can be common too), but helping the immune system thru food is sometimes enough.

Even if he isn’t allergic to his food, I would change his food to higher quality cause you don’t want him ending up at vet lots for health issues.

AVOID these low quality foods as they are all fillers/garbge:
-Purina
-Iams
-Royal canin
-Hills
-Science diet
-Anything from Vet or grocery store(same low quality ingredients are in vet food too!)

Good quality kibble brands:
-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Both Natures Logic and Carna 4 are synthetic free and have probiotics in it.
Natures Logic is easier to find than Carna 4.

Chicken is the most common allergy(other than corn and brewers rice and by products), so I recommend avoid chicken and try fish or lamb or beef or duck or sardine for proteins.

Rotating proteins in his food(rotate between 1 bag lamb, next bag fish, next bag Pork for example), that prevents new food Allergies and picky eater.

IF Natures Logic or Carna 4 isn’t a option then the next best is Farmina N&D.

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
That’s good at age 3 he has found his forever home!

Iams is very low quality food, full of by products and corn and other fillers and most ingredients is literally from garbage bin!! It also uses chicken and other inflammatory ingredients which =allergies and other health issues.

Since he is licking his paws, that’s very likely food allergies(environmental allergies can be common too), but helping the immune system thru food is sometimes enough.

Even if he isn’t allergic to his food, I would change his food to higher quality cause you don’t want him ending up at vet lots for health issues.

AVOID these low quality foods as they are all fillers/garbge:
-Purina
-Iams
-Royal canin
-Hills
-Science diet
-Anything from Vet or grocery store(same low quality ingredients are in vet food too!)

Good quality kibble brands:
-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Both Natures Logic and Carna 4 are synthetic free and have probiotics in it.
Natures Logic is easier to find than Carna 4.

Chicken is the most common allergy(other than corn and brewers rice and by products), so I recommend avoid chicken and try fish or lamb or beef or duck or sardine for proteins.

Rotating proteins in his food(rotate between 1 bag lamb, next bag fish, next bag Pork for example), that prevents new food Allergies and picky eater.

IF Natures Logic or Carna 4 isn’t an option then the next best is Farmina N&D.
Thank you very much— I will definitely switch to that. I’m sure I can find it at my local pet store. Thanks again!

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
While it could be allergies, keep in mind that not all licking is allergy related. Just as humans might thumb-suck for comfort, some dogs pacify themselves by licking their paws. Breaking this habit can be quite a challenge and may not be necessary.

- Is his webbing very red?
- Does he lick them to the point they become raw?
- Is he also nibbling or scratching at them?
- Will he stop licking if you divert his attention?

Additionally, it's a good idea to check his gums. Hair splinters can sometimes be a concern for dogs that frequently lick their paws.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
since your dog also has ear infections, and licks his paws, I would still change his food to better quality whether he for sure has allergies or not.

Licking paws also can be yeast related too. Which good food should improve.

Even if he doesn’t have red/irritated skin, doesn’t rule out allergies 🙂

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you very much— I will definitely switch to that. I’m sure I can find it at my local pet store. Thanks again!
Your very welcome, it should help his dry skin too.

keep us updated 🙂

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
While it could be allergies, keep in mind that not all licking is allergy related. Just as humans might thumb-suck for comfort, some dogs pacify themselves by licking their paws. Breaking this habit can be quite a challenge and may not be necessary.

- Is his webbing very red?
- Does he lick them to the point they become raw?
- Is he also nibbling or scratching at them?
- Will he stop licking if you divert his attention?

Additionally, it's a good idea to check his gums. Hair splinters can sometimes be a concern for dogs that frequently lick their paws.
Hey Benny,
So far I do not see red in his webbing.
He licks them but not excessively and yes he will stop if his attention is diverted. Believe it or not, I brush his teeth daily and so far his gums looks good.

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
So one thing I do too, is every morning I give him a wipe down (wrinkles and eyes). I usually use Bertbee hypoallergenic wipes and an eye wipe, and then I follow it up with brushing his teeth. Armour Hammer toothpaste. Could this be a possibility of dry skin. Do any of you put fish oil in their food?

Members online

No members online now.