Red face

riko bandito

Nov 9, 2023
Country
switzerland
Bulldog(s) Names
Riko
Hello

We got our baby 1 week ago, his face is looking a bit red now. We made no changes in food. Do you know maybe what causes this and how to get the face again white? Is there maybe a list of the most important things
about the care of the bulldog?

Attachments

• 452F253C-B88D-4A35-85FE-30E9A375D1C1.jpeg
    452F253C-B88D-4A35-85FE-30E9A375D1C1.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2D41E5F0-E116-48AA-8BE0-6FF01359558D.jpeg
    2D41E5F0-E116-48AA-8BE0-6FF01359558D.jpeg
    965.2 KB · Views: 22

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello

We got our baby 1 week ago, his face is looking a bit red now. We made no changes in food. Do you know maybe what causes this and how to get the face again white? Is there maybe a list of the most important things
about the care of the bulldog?
Hello, beautiful baby there 🥰

What’s the food you’re feeding him? It’s mostly a food issue. Royal Canin, Science Hill, Purina are some of these food issues. Bear in mind, puppies especially at that age rarely have allergies cause they have Mom’s milk in their system.

Oh n keep them fold dry on daily basis

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Are you talking about the circled area? (I don't see anything on the second image)
It is totally normal for a white faced puppy to look flushed like that sometimes.

The darkness in the eye fold (not circled, but to the left of the circle) is caused by excess moisture and perhaps the minerals in it. This is going to happen pretty often during teething. The only thing you can do about it right now is to try to keep it clean and dry it whenever you notice it getting wet. @paw7004 has had some good experience recently with the eye folds.
1699549728645.png

OP
R

riko bandito

Nov 9, 2023
Country
switzerland
Bulldog(s) Names
Riko
Thank you so much for your answers!
Yes we are feeding Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy because the breeder fed this and vet told us so. Hes 4 Months old and the breeder gave us this food also. We are worrying because at the begin his face was whiter than now. Have you maybe some advidce to keep the face white? We thought maybe put coco oil on it and his ose or its a bad idea? The vet also said that he has ear mites can this maybe also be a reason for this? Do you think its something to worry about or will it heal after a time?

Attachments

• 13820049-CFF9-4060-BA4F-16E4A1E44069.jpeg
    13820049-CFF9-4060-BA4F-16E4A1E44069.jpeg
    671.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 97D99128-79D8-4931-8C88-B1AAA7FADA96.jpeg
    97D99128-79D8-4931-8C88-B1AAA7FADA96.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 14

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The little bit of red around his face mouth area that @benny pointed out is normal especially with the white-faced dogs. You just notice it more. I have 3 with white faces and some days might be a little bit more red than others. I just clean their faces and folds a couple times a week with chlorhexidine wipes and I try to wipe their faces after they eat/drink to help keep clean and dry.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
face is normal. Ear mites not uncommon in younger dogs that interact with other pups. We haven't had a single case of ear mites, Demodex, or heart worms since we started dosing Nexgard. Effectively treated, the ear mites should be gone in about 2 weeks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! your baby is beautiful!

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
If you are concerned about tear stains in the creases, it's not harmful except to our eyes. :-) When the red blood cells break down (a normal process), some of the byproducts are found in their tears and sweat. You may notice the paws, between the toes, turning a shade of red. I show my bulldog & spoke to others on how to prevent the stains, as Tebow's were getting really dark. A bischon breeder & handler said he uses distilled water to both clean the area as well as the drinking water. A renown bulldog breeder and judge (96 yrs old) said "Tomatoes!" So Tebow gets 2-3 cherry tomatoes each day with his bowl filled with distilled water. A pro handler said he cleans the folds with Plush Puppy Self-Rinsing Shampoo, dries it and then applies Desitin ointment to the stained area, leaving it there for 3 days, repeating this process every 3 days. I have used all of the above for greater than a month, though I forget the Desitin routine some. The tear stains are pretty much gone and the red stains between his toes are gone. I can't say which one works or the best. I'm leaning towards the distilled water as the bischon breeder didn't use Desitin nor feed his dogs tomatoes. (Tebow LOVES his cherry tomatoes!) Also what @benny said-wipe out the folds with a dry cotton ball or cotton makeup pad to keep the area dry but keep in mind, their eyes are going to produce tears no matter what and those folds are like little canals for the tears to drain.

The other thing I did was stopped his Nupro supplement that had been recommended to me by his breeder. It was high in iron, a component in red blood cells. The iron content in his food met his daily needs. I thought it possible that too much iron could also be a root cause to the staining.

Members online

No members online now.