ksmith

Nov 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hi All!

My 4 year old EB Winston (we call him Winnie) had his BOAS surgery on Thursday of this week (11/9). First off, can I just say how thankful I am to come across this forum?! I spent the entire week leading up surgery reading these threads about what to expect, and it greatly helped ease my anxiety going into it.

Anyways, he did great! Nares corrected, removed about an inch of soft palate, and removed tonsils too. I was told it was a smooth surgery, and he woke up beautifully. He got to go home 8 hours later, and it truly has been a smooth ride so far. However, last night he did start to sound a little congested, like a rumbly sound. It's not when breathing, but just occasionally, as if he's trying to clear his throat of phlegm. Is this normal?

I'm in medicine, so of course I'm looking for red flags that something could be wrong or this could be early signs of aspiration pneumonia, but he's acting fine - normal respiratory rate, no labored breathing, gums are pink, not coughing up any mucous, and he's acting like his normal curious and playful self albeit sleepy because of his medications. Eating and drinking is fine, and no episodes of vomiting since he's been home.

I'm hoping it's just surgical irritation, and of course I'm calling his vet today and planning to get a vaporizer to break up some of that mucous I'm hearing. I just wanted to see if any one else experienced this as part of your baby's recovery.

Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is not uncommon for them to sound this way the day of/after surgery, but as you are doing, keep a close eye for any signs it is getting worse. As you stated, it can go into an aspiration situation very quickly.

others might have more insight and suggestions. @oscarmayer @Manydogs @Cbrugs

Last edited:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
His airway is likely a bit swollen. Three days out from surgery and you should see him almost back to normal. Are you feeding soft(canned) food? If not, you should be, IMO.
I would not be too concerned unless you hear him rattling all the time and having labored breathing. Any amount of vomiting means GO TO YOUR VET right away. Do not call them, just GO!

OP
ksmith

ksmith

Nov 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Thank you both! I am feeding soft food for a few weeks as he recovers. I spoke to the surgery center and they assured me it was normal and to put him in the bathroom and turn on the shower to give him a little bit of steam to break that mucous up. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on him.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Sounds like you're already doing everything I would advise. 👍

Joed320

Feb 25, 2024
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy/Gabby
Hi All!

My 4 year old EB Winston (we call him Winnie) had his BOAS surgery on Thursday of this week (11/9). First off, can I just say how thankful I am to come across this forum?! I spent the entire week leading up surgery reading these threads about what to expect, and it greatly helped ease my anxiety going into it.

Anyways, he did great! Nares corrected, removed about an inch of soft palate, and removed tonsils too. I was told it was a smooth surgery, and he woke up beautifully. He got to go home 8 hours later, and it truly has been a smooth ride so far. However, last night he did start to sound a little congested, like a rumbly sound. It's not when breathing, but just occasionally, as if he's trying to clear his throat of phlegm. Is this normal?

I'm in medicine, so of course I'm looking for red flags that something could be wrong or this could be early signs of aspiration pneumonia, but he's acting fine - normal respiratory rate, no labored breathing, gums are pink, not coughing up any mucous, and he's acting like his normal curious and playful self albeit sleepy because of his medications. Eating and drinking is fine, and no episodes of vomiting since he's been home.

I'm hoping it's just surgical irritation, and of course I'm calling his vet today and planning to get a vaporizer to break up some of that mucous I'm hearing. I just wanted to see if any one else experienced this as part of your baby's recovery.

Thanks!
Hi my Daisy ended up with the same. Kept brining her in to the emergency room but all vitals were good. No fever, nice pink tongue and gums. After two weeks it started to get worse. Restless and unable to sleep.. Brought her in and they did an xray and she had pnermonia in both lungs. Have them check for pneumonia

Members online

No members online now.