URGENT!!! Puppy diarrhea- Parvo case

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Puppy diarrhea

Secretly I think they are the prettiest coats! But honestly Iā€™m probably biased too. Heā€™s doing really well! He took his morning and noon medicine like a champ and his iv went without issue, he has not vomited once and he has pooped twice today; it came out soft and yellow but not liquidy and absolutely no rotten blood parvo smell!! Iā€™ve read how sometimes the virus works in waves how heā€™s seemingly doing good then gets really bad then back to good so Iā€™m keeping my fingers crossed but also am prepared. We already ordered some chemicals to clean the house with so we have that to look forward too. Bear has had lots of energy heā€™s chewed my hands and bit my feet already today and was following me around while I did some work. He even ate a container of chicken and gravy baby food without a syringe!! He hasnā€™t thrown that up or anything so Iā€™m really happy! Honestly heā€™s acting like himself again and I hope it doesnā€™t get too bad!! Sorry for the long message hahaha

Great progress! Stay diligent and as hard as it is, try to keep him calm not too much activity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Secretly I think they are the prettiest coats! But honestly Iā€™m probably biased too. Heā€™s doing really well! He took his morning and noon medicine like a champ and his iv went without issue, he has not vomited once and he has pooped twice today; it came out soft and yellow but not liquidy and absolutely no rotten blood parvo smell!! Iā€™ve read how sometimes the virus works in waves how heā€™s seemingly doing good then gets really bad then back to good so Iā€™m keeping my fingers crossed but also am prepared. We already ordered some chemicals to clean the house with so we have that to look forward too. Bear has had lots of energy heā€™s chewed my hands and bit my feet already today and was following me around while I did some work. He even ate a container of chicken and gravy baby food without a syringe!! He hasnā€™t thrown that up or anything so Iā€™m really happy! Honestly heā€™s acting like himself again and I hope it doesnā€™t get too bad!! Sorry for the long message hahaha

Very good news! I guess it is perhaps not interesting at this stage how he got the infection, but did your vet have any ideas? I am so glad to hear he is doing well - hug the little brindle boy from me and Castor.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Wonderful news, I'm so glad to hear he's on the mend... my goodness, he is precious!!!

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Very good news! I guess it is perhaps not interesting at this stage how he got the infection, but did your vet have any ideas? I am so glad to hear he is doing well - hug the little brindle boy from me and Castor.

We were told by the breeder that he wasnā€™t allowed outside at all before we got him so we kept that up, the vet said he most likely got it with her. (As heā€™s only been to the vet and has been under close supervision) We contacted her and sheā€™s notified the other families of the situation.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Great progress! Stay diligent and as hard as it is, try to keep him calm not too much activity

He made it through the night!! I just got done with his morning iv and medicine and heā€™s sleeping it off. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s normal but he has not thrown up once yet and he was pooping normal colors by late last night! We are under orders from the vet however to administer all of his medications even if he gets to feeling better so I suppose we will have sleepy bear for a while.
302587aba120c5fc6d1197a70d98be30.jpg

He loves couch sleeping so heā€™s back up here while Iā€™m awake and can monitor him!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

He made it through the night!! I just got done with his morning iv and medicine and heā€™s sleeping it off. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s normal but he has not thrown up once yet and he was pooping normal colors by late last night! We are under orders from the vet however to administer all of his medications even if he gets to feeling better so I suppose we will have sleepy bear for a while.
302587aba120c5fc6d1197a70d98be30.jpg

He loves couch sleeping so heā€™s back up here while Iā€™m awake and can monitor him!

Iā€™m not a med person BUT in youā€™re case definitely keep the meds going to the end. Certain situations you have no choice n yours is one. Heā€™s progressing very well so yes, see it through the end. Most meds will calm a dog down so donā€™t worry. When heā€™s awake make him move a bit with a toy he likes so his joints n body exercises a bit. Keep up the updates going as itā€™s great for other members to learn your progress but mostly we want to see how the little guy is doing :yes:

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Iā€™m not a med person BUT in youā€™re case definitely keep the meds going to the end. Certain situations you have no choice n yours is one. Heā€™s progressing very well so yes, see it through the end. Most meds will calm a dog down so donā€™t worry. When heā€™s awake make him move a bit with a toy he likes so his joints n body exercises a bit. Keep up the updates going as itā€™s great for other members to learn your progress but mostly we want to see how the little guy is doing :yes:

Yeah heā€™s really limp and sleepy right now, he threw up for the first time, just liquid and some anti diarrhea gel but his antibiotics were also for anti diarrhea so Iā€™m not too worried, I gave him 2 more syringes full of baby food just to try and settle his stomach and some water to help and heā€™s been asleep since
9d9761d831a7a3d7ba8f56cc0f6cd0ac.jpg

I can put the pictures of his throw up and stool if anyone wants for reference but I wonā€™t just post them for my soft stomach friends. Also he always sleeps with his tongue out so no worries!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Meds are hard on any stomach n intestines. Only thing that will settle that is Greek Yogurt. Ask your vet if itā€™s ok. GY has naturally probiotics which helps restore the good gut flora.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Meds are hard on any stomach n intestines. Only thing that will settle that is Greek Yogurt. Ask your vet if itā€™s ok. GY has naturally probiotics which helps restore the good gut flora.

When she calls I will ask thank you!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)

Okay so awful news that honestly feels like a joke, we took him in and it turns out he has parvo, the vet was speaking to us about putting him down but I believe heā€™s a fighter and so we are taking him home to try and nurse him back to health. I wish this was a joke [emoji854]

So glad to hear that he is doing better!! Prayers for all of you!

I donā€™t understand why your vet would discuss putting him down..... [emoji22]
I think I would find another vet!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

No No...this Vet has gone above and beyond...
The survival rate for young puppies is LOW, very low depending on how far the disease has progressed at the time of diagnosis. The Vet was likely advising based on experience, expectations. It is a particularly nasty virus, BTW...imagine a puppy literally pooping itself to death...along with muscle cramps brought on by severe dehydration. Most owners would not be able to nor want to take on this much responsibility and work. This says a lot about the owners.
This pup has been extremely lucky to survive this long, at home, outside of constant care from a Vet. One reason it has survived is due to the Vet's involvement and very generous supervision while the pup was getting constant "at home" care...in an effort to save $Thousands$. Many Vets would not do this.

I wish the OP the best of luck and continued success, improvement.
BTW, when the stool changes from yellow to brown that is a good sign...the liver is starting to work like it should.
When you are satisfied that the pup is recovered, get him on Puppy food for at least the first 6 months...a grain free kibble is best.
Additionally, when your pup recovers...watch out...he'll feel sooo good, he'll be bouncing off the walls, the ceiling even!

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

I wasnā€™t in the room with them when it was discussed, there was only one person allowed so my mom went in with him, I expressed how much I did not want that but they were saying how weak he already was.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

No No...this Vet has gone above and beyond...
The survival rate for young puppies is LOW, very low depending on how far the disease has progressed at the time of diagnosis. The Vet was likely advising based on experience, expectations. It is a particularly nasty virus, BTW...imagine a puppy literally pooping itself to death...along with muscle cramps brought on by severe dehydration. Most owners would not be able to nor want to take on this much responsibility and work. This says a lot about the owners.
This pup has been extremely lucky to survive this long, at home, outside of constant care from a Vet. One reason it has survived is due to the Vet's involvement and very generous supervision while the pup was getting constant "at home" care...in an effort to save $Thousands$. Many Vets would not do this.

I wish the OP the best of luck and continued success, improvement.
BTW, when the stool changes from yellow to brown that is a good sign...the liver is starting to work like it should.
When you are satisfied that the pup is recovered, get him on Puppy food for at least the first 6 months...a grain free kibble is best.
Additionally, when your pup recovers...watch out...he'll feel sooo good, he'll be bouncing off the walls, the ceiling even!

Iā€™ve read a lot about the virus and how it sometimes goes in waves how he seems better then gets worse, heā€™s thrown up only once today and has had quite a bit of diarrhea with a mucus-y texture. The vet thinks the throwing up was because I didnā€™t feed him before I gave him his antibiotics and the diarrhea is just expelling the parvo. Heā€™s getting weaker and I think tonight and tomorrow are going to be rough, heā€™s not accepting food or water or broth and when I give it to him in a syringe he wonā€™t swallow, My moms coming down from Dallas tonight to help me help him and take some load off me...I havenā€™t slept in like 3 days Iā€™m constantly checking to make sure heā€™s breathing.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Iā€™ve read a lot about the virus and how it sometimes goes in waves how he seems better then gets worse, heā€™s thrown up only once today and has had quite a bit of diarrhea with a mucus-y texture. The vet thinks the throwing up was because I didnā€™t feed him before I gave him his antibiotics and the diarrhea is just expelling the parvo. Heā€™s getting weaker and I think tonight and tomorrow are going to be rough, heā€™s not accepting food or water or broth and when I give it to him in a syringe he wonā€™t swallow, My moms coming down from Dallas tonight to help me help him and take some load off me...I havenā€™t slept in like 3 days Iā€™m constantly checking to make sure heā€™s breathing.

Just do your steps as I said previously, youā€™re doing a good job. Like Chip said this isnā€™t an easy situation. Never blame yourself. Great idea getting some help. Definitely 3 days non stop we can forget something. We are all human. Antibiotics is extremely hard on a stomach, why your vet said feed him first. Itā€™s to coat the stomach. You got this!!

Staff online

Members online