Loose stool

Choco

Jun 12, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Choco
Hello everyone,

We recently adopted a 5 month old Bulldog puppy 3 weeks ago and he has had loose stool and some bouts of diarrhea since the day he came home. At first, I attributed his loose stool to being nervous, staying at the dog park 5 minutes too long (got overheated in less than 12 minutes) and his food. The Shelter we got him from was feeding him Pedigree Puppy food. I was reading some of the comments in this forum and decided that we should slowly switch to a more nutritious, bulldog friendly food (Earthbound Holistic). It's been about a week since he has 100% switched over and he still has loose stools and sometimes diarrhea. I tried to introduce pumpkin in his food, but he wasn't a big fan of it. I'm not sure what else we can do to help the little guy out. I would appreciate any suggestions you may be able to give

Thanks!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello everyone,

We recently adopted a 5 month old Bulldog puppy 3 weeks ago and he has had loose stool and some bouts of diarrhea since the day he came home. At first, I attributed his loose stool to being nervous, staying at the dog park 5 minutes too long (got overheated in less than 12 minutes) and his food. The Shelter we got him from was feeding him Pedigree Puppy food. I was reading some of the comments in this forum and decided that we should slowly switch to a more nutritious, bulldog friendly food (Earthbound Holistic). It's been about a week since he has 100% switched over and he still has loose stools and sometimes diarrhea. I tried to introduce pumpkin in his food, but he wasn't a big fan of it. I'm not sure what else we can do to help the little guy out. I would appreciate any suggestions you may be able to give

Thanks!

Welcome!

Thatā€™s great you got him off pedigree brand(garbage).

Is it possible that the new food isnā€™t agreeing with him?

What protein did you start him on?

Good brands of kibble:
-Carna 4
-Natures Logic
-Farmina N&D

Carna 4 and Natures logic both have probiotics in it and are the most easiest to digest kibbles and are all whole food based, no synthetics.

If you are wanting to stick with what you just put him on, Earthborn holistic, than I recommend adding a high quality probiotic, I highly recommend Adored Beast Gut Soothe OR Four Leaf Rover Gut Guard.

Both of these are very good for soothing the gut and are probiotics with additional gut soothing foods in it. I have one of these jars on hand in the fridge just in case I need it(if one of the dogs vomit or diarrhea or any other digestion issues, I give them one of these either Adored Beast brand Gut Soothe OR Four Leaf Rover brand Gut Guard).

My dog doesnā€™t like pumpkin either, some dogs just donā€™t like it.

It definitely could be related to the new home and being confused or stressed OR the new food may be not sitting well with him possibly. Or he simply has a irritated gut and he could use a probiotic that should clear it up.

I recommend avoiding the probiotics from the vet and avoid any food or treat from the vet as they are ALL fillers/garbage and any probiotics from the vet I find not effective and they also have fillers and not enough probiotics in it either.

Some vets will just give a antibiotic which may help in short term, but they immune system and everything is ruined usually too and one of my dogs has severe diarrhea, took her to vet and they gave antibiotics which helped for a bit until they were finished, then she was 10X worse!! Then thatā€™s when I found Adored Beast Gut Soothe and Four Leaf Rover Gut Guard probiotics and not even a week later I didnā€™t need to give anymore of the probiotic(you can continue probiotics), but it cleared her up much quicker and it didnā€™t come back or get worse. Now I use it for them as needed.
So I found those to be way more better for their health and worked much better than the antibiotics.

What treats are you giving??

One of the ones I listed above should help improve him.

Have you had him tested for parasites?
Just a thought.

Any photos of your pup?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Have you had him tested for parasites? Giardia and other parasites can cause diarrhea regardless of what you feed and can be common in puppies. Overfeeding can also cause issues as well.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Overfeeding is the #1 cause of loose stools. Dial back the quantity by 1/2 for a few days and observe. If you don't see near immediate improvement, then keep searching for a reason. My next step would be to change proteins. If that doesn't help then see Vet for a fecal exam.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
As stated above... how much you feed and since he is a puppy have him checked for parasites (very common in pups)

Members online

No members online now.