Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
While I don't agree that antibiotics *must* be given for diarrhea, I think that since you are giving them you might want to also include a probiotic which can be given 2 hours after the antibiotic. It will help keep the good gut bacteria as antibiotics will kill it.

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
Super! I hope that Finn and Violet respond quickly! Hmmmm maybe some recent photos might help us not worry too much :)

Don't have to tell me twice! :D

Attachments

• IMG_5971.JPG
    IMG_5971.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5956.JPG
    IMG_5956.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
While I don't agree that antibiotics *must* be given for diarrhea, I think that since you are giving them you might want to also include a probiotic which can be given 2 hours after the antibiotic. It will help keep the good gut bacteria as antibiotics will kill it.

Yes! We also give them FortiFlora.

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION].. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

Tagged some breeders for you.

Agree with others, so many changes, any could cause loose stools
plus added factor of common puppy issues. Main thing is to watch
for signs of dehydration & act immediately. Stop currant food as it's
not what you want to keep feeding, put on bland diet, white rice &
boiled, well drained hamburger, add 1 TBSP of pure pumpkin (not
the pie filling), it won't upset tummies further. Make sure they are
drinking plenty of fresh water (use stainless steel bowls for drinking
& eating). Later, switch to Fromm's Puppy. If they become lethargic
take to Vet before Saturday. Sending love & prayers it's a simple fix.

Forgive my ignorance here... I see a lot of folks recommending the bland diet until the diarrhea passes. We never did that with our last bully so just to be sure I know what I'm doing, I'm boiling chicken or sirloin and white rice, right? How do I know how much of that to give them? Would I give them that 3 times a day still? Is it as filling as their kibble?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Don't have to tell me twice! :D

What beauties.... I hope they are feeling better soon! keep us posted.

And, yes, bland diet is boiled meat with white rice

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
That's where my mind goes as well. :( We have an appointment with the vet this upcoming Saturday anyway but if we don't see the poo improving once starting the antibiotic, we'll go before. The breeder recommended pumpkin to help with the loose stools. Should I try that now as well? I don't want to do too much that might make anything harder on their bellies. Other than that, they appear to be fine and playful and eating/drinking like normal.

I just went through all of this with Duke the newest member. When I brought him home 2 months ago he was 3months old. His stool was loose and very "bright" red blood in his stools for a good month. If the blood is dark red your pups needs to see a vet immediately but if it's bright red and like slimy, it's stress! I called the breeder a few times(ok many times) and she kept saying "Helene dont worry its stress it will go away!" I didn't go to the vet because I trust this breeder. But THAT'S ME! You do what you feel is right. I gave pumpkin at every meal but the loose stool'sl culprit was the chicken puppy food. Put him on adult Acana. Took 2-3 days for the stool to start looking normal. The bright red blood stayed for a good month and yes I never thought it will ever disappear. Nyala plays very rough with Duke and he was holding his end not giving up. Very hard to tell pups you cant play. He was only 15lbs n her 48. So very stressful hard play. Then both my sons have 3 dogs each....more stress. The bright blood really dissappear on it's own.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you make chicken, give chicken breast with skin removed.
Forgive my ignorance here... I see a lot of folks recommending the bland diet until the diarrhea passes. We never did that with our last bully so just to be sure I know what I'm doing, I'm boiling chicken or sirloin and white rice, right? How do I know how much of that to give them? Would I give them that 3 times a day still? Is it as filling as their kibble?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Most likely it was metronidazole (antibiotic) and fenbendazole (dewormer) which work synergistically to kill giardia and also other parasites. Make sure to clean the environment really well at end of treatment and wash dog well at end of treatment to prevent reinfection. It's a good idea if you are treating that to repeat the fenbendazole empirically after about three weeks.

Thanks everyone! I picked up the antibiotic and she also gave me a de-wormer to give to both pups. I've gone ahead and given them their first round of antibiotics and de-wormer. I called the breeder and she sent their stool sample to the lab on 7/5/17 and it came back negative. The stool sample I submitted yesterday has not yet come back but they will call me as soon as it does.

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
I just went through all of this with Duke the newest member. When I brought him home 2 months ago he was 3months old. His stool was loose and very "bright" red blood in his stools for a good month. If the blood is dark red your pups needs to see a vet immediately but if it's bright red and like slimy, it's stress! I called the breeder a few times(ok many times) and she kept saying "Helene dont worry its stress it will go away!" I didn't go to the vet because I trust this breeder. But THAT'S ME! You do what you feel is right. I gave pumpkin at every meal but the loose stool'sl culprit was the chicken puppy food. Put him on adult Acana. Took 2-3 days for the stool to start looking normal. The bright red blood stayed for a good month and yes I never thought it will ever disappear. Nyala plays very rough with Duke and he was holding his end not giving up. Very hard to tell pups you cant play. He was only 15lbs n her 48. So very stressful hard play. Then both my sons have 3 dogs each....more stress. The bright blood really dissappear on it's own.

Thank you! This makes me feel better. On Finn, it looks pink and slimy. On Violet, it is very bright red and very noticeable. You really have to look to see it in Finn's. Also, Violet is very nervous anyway.. I can tell a huge positive difference in her comfort level in her new home with us compared to how she was when we first brought her home so hopefully it's getting better. We took them to the vet the day after we got home with them too just so our vet could look at them and she mentioned that Violet's heart rate was a lot higher than Finn's and mentioned how nervous she was.
Hopefully it is stress related in our girl. I've been worried sick about her all day. I am going to change their food as well. I had never heard of Fromme until I started snooping around here so I think we may try that. The vet recommends Royal Canin (I think that's what it's called) and Hill's Science Diet. I've read enough in her to know that Royal Canin is a no no so will definitely stay away from that.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
That's where my mind goes as well. :( We have an appointment with the vet this upcoming Saturday anyway but if we don't see the poo improving once starting the antibiotic, we'll go before. The breeder recommended pumpkin to help with the loose stools. Should I try that now as well? I don't want to do too much that might make anything harder on their bellies. Other than that, they appear to be fine and playful and eating/drinking like normal.

How old are your pups?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! This makes me feel better. On Finn, it looks pink and slimy. On Violet, it is very bright red and very noticeable. You really have to look to see it in Finn's. Also, Violet is very nervous anyway.. I can tell a huge positive difference in her comfort level in her new home with us compared to how she was when we first brought her home so hopefully it's getting better. We took them to the vet the drer we got home with them too just so our vet could look at them and she mentioned that Violet's heart rate was a lot higher than Finn's and mentioned how nervous she was.
Hopefully it is stress related in our girl. I've been worried sick about her all day. I am going to change their food as well. I had never heard of Fromme until I started snooping around here so I think we may try that. The vet recommends Royal Canin (I think that's what it's called) and Hill's Science Diet. I've read enough in her to know that Royal Canin is a no no so will definitely stay away from that.

Vets gets a % on RC n Hills please stay away from that as you'll create more issues for your pups. Ask anyone in here. When I see a vet pushing RC, Hills, antibiotics, meds etc etc that's when i start asking questions. I have 2 vets. One for normal stuff as this one is very holistic and wont push any meds unless it's a situation that can harm the dog and one for surgeries (spaying, vasectomy, cherry eye, crystals). J6st keep reading all you can on this site. It will help you enormously as bullies are unique.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
They will be 10 weeks on Friday.

Ahhh ok. I thought they were around 3months old. Was going to question why the vet gave you a dewormer. I personally don't agree on antibiotics for diarrhea. It's just stress. I always had my dogs build their own immune system which im dealing with Duke's right now.

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
Ahhh ok. I thought they were around 3months old. Was going to question why the vet gave you a dewormer. I personally don't agree on antibiotics for diarrhea. It's just stress. I always had my dogs build their own immune system which im dealing with Duke's right now.

Did Duke act normal when he went through this? My girl definitely is not feeling well today. She's been fine but this morning, she's just sleeping and didn't have much interest in her food. We are taking her to the vet as soon as they open.

Members online

No members online now.