jbowen570

Jan 29, 2022
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello all,

First off I want to thank you all as I've learned so much from reading threads on here as well as received answers to so many questions I've had, just by doing a brief search through previous members threads with the same issues I was facing. This is the first time I am having trouble finding info on my current problem so here is my first post and I hope I am putting it in the correct place, please forgive me if not. Winston is my 2 year old EB and he is the best pup I couldve ever asked for. Winston is a little guy, weighing in at only 32 pounds at his last vet visit and he is a complete ball of energy but most of the time I can tire him out before bed by simply throwing his ball around the backyard for thirty minutes or so. Winston has been on Hill's Science Diet since his first vet visit, switching from the puppy chicken & barley to the adult lamb & rice at the time the vet suggested without any issues from either until recently. In the past, Winston would sometimes go into a floor licking frenzy at completely random times but I assumed it was because he was just trying to eat whatever was in sight because with him, if it is on the ground it is going in his mouth and most likely being swallowed so we are very careful to keep the floors clean and the backyard as rock free as we can. Around three months or so ago I've noticed more of the floor licking than normal and the amount of time he does it getting longer, yet still a simple call of his name would distract him and he would stop. Now he seems to start licking the floor only right after meals but it is much more aggressive and he wont stop, if I am able to get his attention it is only for a second before he is right back to it. Normally these bouts last around 10 minutes or so and luckily I have wall to wall hardwood floors but I am going through Swiffer pads like a madman because for one, I don't want him eating all the junk that ends up on the floor (his hair, my hair, dust, pebbles, etc) and then I also don't want a slimy floor so yes, LOTS OF MOPPING:ROFLMAO: with pet safe products of course! Some additional information, he was on the adult food for months before this started so I felt as though if it were due to the food switch it would've happened sooner and there is no vomiting, change in stool or urination. He has inhaled his food since the day I brought him home and I purchased a mat that looks like a maze that goes in his bowl, it definitely slowed him down but he still manages to somehow get it all in his mouth quickly. I read stories on here about EBs eating so fast they vomit and he isn't that bad so I assumed it wasn't an issue. The only other thing I feel that should be mentioned is at times I will make him lay with me after eating and I have noticed a few times his stomach rumbling and maybe a small burp or two yet he doesn't seem to be having any pain from it as he will go right outside to run for as long as I will throw his ball right after eating every single meal if I allowed him to. I am so sorry this is so long but I really didn't want to waste anyone's time by leaving out important details that would have to be asked later, thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Welcome to EBN!!! Have you checked inside his mouth? I know it's hard to do,most of them don't co-operate for that! That behavior started here, and when I checked Maude's mouth, she had a growth called an epilus. She has recently had a second one removed. Not cancerous, but as it grows, they seem to keep licking, trying to dislodge it. At least that is what alerted me to find Maude's. Another reason could be stomach gas. Try giving Winston a famotidine , as it may be just gas. You can get generic at drug store, or Walmart. My other Bullie(Martha) get a growlie stomach occasionally and Famo does the trick. Next thing would be to give him a much better food. Vets recommend Hills because they get a kickback. They are not really taught nutrition in vet school. Many people here recommend food that I cannot afford(as I have 5 dogs) but I feed Taste of the Wild, and that is expensive to me, but it is grain free, and so far, my dogs have never been sick, and the oldest is 10 now. Some will suggest other foods,too, get the best you can afford. I always feed grain free, just my opinion! @jbowen570
That Winston face is so cute!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@jbowen570 - it could be upset belly or anxiety. I agree with Lynn, if you can, get off the Hills... not a good food avoid chicken as it tens to be an issue for a lot o bulldogs.

you say he is a ball of energy... take him for a walk be fore the meal and get some of that energy out of him and see if that helps at all

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello all,

First off I want to thank you all as I've learned so much from reading threads on here as well as received answers to so many questions I've had, just by doing a brief search through previous members threads with the same issues I was facing. This is the first time I am having trouble finding info on my current problem so here is my first post and I hope I am putting it in the correct place, please forgive me if not. Winston is my 2 year old EB and he is the best pup I couldve ever asked for. Winston is a little guy, weighing in at only 32 pounds at his last vet visit and he is a complete ball of energy but most of the time I can tire him out before bed by simply throwing his ball around the backyard for thirty minutes or so. Winston has been on Hill's Science Diet since his first vet visit, switching from the puppy chicken & barley to the adult lamb & rice at the time the vet suggested without any issues from either until recently. In the past, Winston would sometimes go into a floor licking frenzy at completely random times but I assumed it was because he was just trying to eat whatever was in sight because with him, if it is on the ground it is going in his mouth and most likely being swallowed so we are very careful to keep the floors clean and the backyard as rock free as we can. Around three months or so ago I've noticed more of the floor licking than normal and the amount of time he does it getting longer, yet still a simple call of his name would distract him and he would stop. Now he seems to start licking the floor only right after meals but it is much more aggressive and he wont stop, if I am able to get his attention it is only for a second before he is right back to it. Normally these bouts last around 10 minutes or so and luckily I have wall to wall hardwood floors but I am going through Swiffer pads like a madman because for one, I don't want him eating all the junk that ends up on the floor (his hair, my hair, dust, pebbles, etc) and then I also don't want a slimy floor so yes, LOTS OF MOPPING:ROFLMAO: with pet safe products of course! Some additional information, he was on the adult food for months before this started so I felt as though if it were due to the food switch it would've happened sooner and there is no vomiting, change in stool or urination. He has inhaled his food since the day I brought him home and I purchased a mat that looks like a maze that goes in his bowl, it definitely slowed him down but he still manages to somehow get it all in his mouth quickly. I read stories on here about EBs eating so fast they vomit and he isn't that bad so I assumed it wasn't an issue. The only other thing I feel that should be mentioned is at times I will make him lay with me after eating and I have noticed a few times his stomach rumbling and maybe a small burp or two yet he doesn't seem to be having any pain from it as he will go right outside to run for as long as I will throw his ball right after eating every single meal if I allowed him to. I am so sorry this is so long but I really didn't want to waste anyone's time by leaving out important details that would have to be asked later, thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

First thing I recommend, get him off the hills science diet, all fillers and causes many health issues!

Avoid the following brands;
-Purina
-Hills
-Science diet
-Royal Canin
-anything from grocery store
-blue bufflao
-Eukanuba

All the ingredients are literally waste from garbage bin.

Brewers rice, Corn, Corn Gluten meal, By products(Chicken By product for example), avoid chicken cause that common allergy, wheat, and soy-ALL these should be avoided.

But there is lots of good quality foods available such as:

-Natures Logic-has probiotics and no synthetic vitamins, whole food based.

-Carna 4 -oven baked with probiotics

-N&D- no fillers, made in Italy.

-Fromm

definitely recommend getting off the Hills and onto better quality food.
He may be doing this licking the floor cause he may be lacking something in his diet and he maybe looking for more food.

Definitely walk him or play ball in the yard before you feed him dinner.

He may be bored for why licking the floor.

Members online

No members online now.