My last ditch for an aggressive Gunny-SGT!

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Hereā€™s my last attempt to get Gunny-SGT around other dogs! If this doesnā€™t work, then we will have to accept him for who he is (lol). It just sucks when we have family outings and Gunny has to be separated and be placed alone from my other Grand-dogs (9 all together). So we just got this contraption and I am a little worried. My wifeā€˜s hairstylist turned this on to us. Supposedly, she has an aggressive English Bulldog that has to wear it at times when she is with the other dogs in her family. She says it works great! As for his training, I will admit, he has calm down a lot towards the cat. He no longer wants to tear down the door when he hears his meow (yay), but I still donā€™t trust him around other dogs. If this doesnā€™t work, at least he can be the next ā€œJasonā€ in the next Friday 13th movie OR maybe he can try out to be the next goalie for our Seattle Krakens.
IMG_7620.jpeg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hereā€™s my last attempt to get Gunny-SGT around other dogs! If this doesnā€™t work, then we will have to accept him for who he is (lol). It just sucks when we have family outings and Gunny has to be separated and be placed alone from my other Grand-dogs (9 all together). So we just got this contraption and I am a little worried. My wifeā€˜s hairstylist turned this on to us. Supposedly, she has an aggressive English Bulldog that has to wear it at times when she is with the other dogs in her family. She says it works great! As for his training, I will admit, he has calm down a lot towards the cat. He no longer wants to tear down the door when he hears his meow (yay), but I still donā€™t trust him around other dogs. If this doesnā€™t work, at least he can be the next ā€œJasonā€ in the next Friday 13th movie OR maybe he can try out to be the next goalie for our Seattle Krakens.

I have somewhat the same issue with my German Shepherd. Sheā€™s 2.5yrs old. Listens to my commands but when she sees other big dog especially her own kind šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø, stranger with a hoodie or vehicles coming up on the land or parked on our side road acreage, sheā€™ll go after all. I raise my voice n she backs off. I find an electric collars helps enormously to train. Now bare in mind the owner also needs to be trained how to use it. The one I have is made especially for hunting dogs retreating ducks in one piece.

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
I have somewhat the same issue with my German Shepherd. Sheā€™s 2.5yrs old. Listens to my commands but when she sees other big dog especially her own kind šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø, stranger with a hoodie or vehicles coming up on the land or parked on our side road acreage, sheā€™ll go after all. I raise my voice n she backs off. I find an electric collars helps enormously to train. Now bear in mind the owner also needs to be trained how to use it. The one I have is made especially for hunting dogs retreating ducks in one piece.
I too had a GS! I loved that dog dearly! He was before Gunny. He was great with other dogs and that is what I miss. Gunny is totally the opposite, but I do have the patients to work with him or just like I said before - I will accept him for who he is! As for the collar, I am new to the device. I would hate to put something on him to where it hurts him, and you are correct, I would need more information and training if I should go that route. Thank you for the advice!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our girl Banks was a no other dog girl. She did well for many years due to training but could never be trusted without her color on. She was our 9 years training session ā™„ļøā™„ļø. Lambeau was the same way but we opted to accept him as is and didnā€™t bring him around other animals

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
If you do go the collar route, I have the Dogtra. You pay more but made for training hunting dogs. It has a much long distance ratio. So if a dog is 75ft or more further than you, you still have control. It has a ā€œnickā€ button which you control the power of the nick. Its like flicking your finger on someone. Itā€™s a good little flick n brings the dog back to reality. And yes up to you if you want to go that route.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Our girl Banks was a no other dog girl. She did well for many years due to training but could never be trusted without her color on. She was our 9 years training session ā™„ļøā™„ļø. Lambeau was the same way but we opted to accept him as is and didnā€™t bring him around other animals

You do what you have to when dogs are around others. My son came over last week to set up a big run he had on our acreage cause in a couple months we are having a 60th bday for someone n family will be bringing their RVā€™s n pets. Cause of Sadie sheā€™ll be going in the run n weā€™ll switch dogs around to stretch.

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpeg
    IMG_1068.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1066.jpeg
    IMG_1066.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7

DutchandUzi

Mar 8, 2024
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Dutch and Uzi
Hereā€™s my last attempt to get Gunny-SGT around other dogs! If this doesnā€™t work, then we will have to accept him for who he is (lol). It just sucks when we have family outings and Gunny has to be separated and be placed alone from my other Grand-dogs (9 all together). So we just got this contraption and I am a little worried. My wifeā€˜s hairstylist turned this on to us. Supposedly, she has an aggressive English Bulldog that has to wear it at times when she is with the other dogs in her family. She says it works great! As for his training, I will admit, he has calm down a lot towards the cat. He no longer wants to tear down the door when he hears his meow (yay), but I still donā€™t trust him around other dogs. If this doesnā€™t work, at least he can be the next ā€œJasonā€ in the next Friday 13th movie OR maybe he can try out to be the next goalie for our Seattle Krakens. View attachment 125316
We used that mask for both our dogs during training. They were not very pleased, but it kept them from hurting each other. And they actually cuddled together with them on. Almost as if saying "We're in this together!"

Attachments

• Dutch and Tater.jpg
    Dutch and Tater.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 2

Most Reactions