Gunny’s training

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
OMG, where do I begin? Last Sunday, Gunny had his first training lesson in obedience / aggression towards other animals. To say the least, I was amazed in how Gunny responded to the trainer’s command. For the first 30 to 45 minutes of talking to the wife and I (Getting to know us); he was using a clicker and giving Gunny treats. After the conversation, he slipped a slipped knot leash over Gunny’s neck and started leash training. At first, Gunny didn’t like it, but with the tightness and discomfort of the tightening – Gunny started to obey him and at the same time was given treats for good behavior. To make a long story short, the trainer got it to where Gunny was not freaking out in trying to get to the cat. It took some time though (30 minutes), but he got it to where he was able to open up our laundry room door and allow Gunny and Moochie (Our Cat) to look at each other without having Gunny trying to climb the wall to get him. In fact, Gunny got to a point to where he lost interest in the cat and laid down while the Trainer was talking to us. I was completely amazed with that! I feel the trainer is not to concern about Gunny’s behavior or his past – he is mostly concerned about my behavior towards Gunny (Way too soft). I see good things for the future. In the next three weeks, the trainer wants to introduce Gunny to other dogs. He plans to do a pack walk with my daughter and son’s dogs == this will be interesting.

"My behavior (shhhh)-- look at him! -- isn't his hat the boss! (lol)" Wouldn't you give in to him too (lol)?

Attachments

• Gunny Posing 1.jpg
    Gunny Posing 1.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 13
  • truck pose.jpg
    truck pose.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Excellent report! And yes, we tend to spoil our dogs and let them get away with so much so then they get with a trainer who is all business and won't put up with their nonsense like we do and we are amazed at how well they listen to the trainers lol

Keep us posted!

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
That whole attitude change is so hard!

Congratulations on a good first step!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
GREAT first step.... stay focused! He looks so cute as a giant candy corn

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Update on Gunny’s training:
He still has quirks about the cat but it’s not as hectic as in the past. He is now waiting for me to give him the green light to eat his treat. The gentle leash works wonders— Gunny picks up on his discomfort when he tries to pull. Last Saturday, we took Gunny to a boarding place— we left him for 3 hours— lo and behold the building was still standing (lol). The staff told me there were no issues. However, Gunny did have his own private suite (cot and tv) and he was totally isolated from any other dog. Come this Saturday, Gunny, my wife, and myself will integrate him with other dogs by going on a dog walk (fingers crossed)😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Hopefully it’s a leash dog park. 👍
Actually, it’s a 20 acre wooded park with a lot of trails for horseback, mountain biking, joggers, dog walkers and just plain old walkers. Although, you have to be on your guard. Many years ago, a cyclist was badly injured by a momma black bear.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Actually, it’s a 20 acre wooded park with a lot of trails for horseback, mountain biking, joggers, dog walkers and just plain old walkers. Although, you have to be on your guard. Many years ago, a cyclist was badly injured by a momma black bear.
I recall peddling my bike with my previous GS on a trail in Banff. I had to install a “bear bell”. It’s simply a bell size of a golf ball you put under where the chain is or peddles. So if there’s a bear they hear you coming. Go figure right 🤷🏼‍♀️

There’s a 2.5hr trail not too far from me. Goes around a sections of a lake. I’m thinking bringing Sadie but will have to burn her energy first. Being a farm dog she doesn’t get to see anyone but the family, cows n chickens. I’m just debating.

Like you said, stay alert is the key.

OP
KillRbee18

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Update on Gunny's Training:
Well, I had to let the trainer go. The trainer was awesome! Although, he did say he had no concerns with Gunny, but he was worried about me. He felt, Gunny had his paws around me, and HE WAS RIGHT. I am too weak to train Gunny. He has me eating out of his paws! Whatever he wants-- he usually gets. He now sleeps with the wife and I and he mostly takes up the bed. Since the wife will not allow Gunny on our couches, I usually end up sitting on the floor with him, BECAUSE if he sees me sitting on the couch he will jump up and try to sit with me and HE WILL NOT STOP UNTIL I SCOOT DOWN and sit on the floor with him == then he is okay. So why spend a lot of money for something I know I won't do? I know I will keep enabling him to be a stubborn bulldog. However, I now have him show me his bottom teeth and paw shake for his hamburger and fries (it's something) LOL! Anyway, that's the update from a failure Bulldog Owner (LOL).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update on Gunny's Training:
Well, I had to let the trainer go. The trainer was awesome! Although, he did say he had no concerns with Gunny, but he was worried about me. He felt, Gunny had his paws around me, and HE WAS RIGHT. I am too weak to train Gunny. He has me eating out of his paws! Whatever he wants-- he usually gets. He now sleeps with the wife and I and he mostly takes up the bed. Since the wife will not allow Gunny on our couches, I usually end up sitting on the floor with him, BECAUSE if he sees me sitting on the couch he will jump up and try to sit with me and HE WILL NOT STOP UNTIL I SCOOT DOWN and sit on the floor with him == then he is okay. So why spend a lot of money for something I know I won't do? I know I will keep enabling him to be a stubborn bulldog. However, I now have him show me his bottom teeth and paw shake for his hamburger and fries (it's something) LOL! Anyway, that's the update from a failure Bulldog Owner (LOL).
As long as he knows you are the boss, and he listens to your instructions..... enjoy your life with him!!

Members online

No members online now.