Is anyone still happily using Natural Balance??

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
well earlier this evening I fed Jack a full serving of Natural Balance's LID Lamb Meal ..
After 3 days of weening him from NVI I m starting to see his red bumps go away....

I still have my fingers, toes ,eyes and cough cough crossed though.. I'm hoping that by the next 2 weeks or so I continue to see improvement....

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh good deal [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] I hope it keeps up let us know

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
Good Question. Since Rosie only has 3 teeth and other medical issues, I am feeding her Orijen and Taste of the Wild dry foods, but I mix them with Natural Balance Bison and Sweet Potato per my vet's instructions. I always look up foods on the ratings lists and saw that Natural Balance has droopped to around 2 or 3 stars depending on the reviewing list, and so I asked the vet why I should use it. He said it has a lower rating because the canned food only has a couple of ingredients - not enough to make it a complete meal. so, he said that it is still a very good food to use and mix with the dry food for my toothless girl.

I've also discovered (which you all probably know already) that many of the 5 and 6 star rated foods have dropped to 2 stars because of being sold to Proctor an Gamble. Proctor and Gamble is has changed the name it's distributes the food under so you really have to research both the food and the manufacturer. I'm talking about foods such as Innova, Evo and other previously good foods. I'm always concerned with food recalls and regularly check the FDA Food Recall list. Pet Food Recall Products List I'm new here so this may be old news to all of you, buying food on ratings only is risky because they can change quickly depending on who owns and manufactures them. Taste of the Wild is a 6 star rated food, but is actually manufactured by Diamond Company under another name. Diamond was one of the companies associated with hundreds of pet deaths with their crummy food. I am taking the chance that they have cleaned up their act and their food is okay. But I just needed to vent a little about the dog foods still being made and the constance vigilance we must keep.

PS. No one food will suit every dog all the time. The plan is to find the one(s) that work the best for your dog.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3513]sleet[/MENTION] i was wondering why the vet was having you mix in nb with the other food you are feeding. and orijen is excellent food. it is the only company that will state in writing that they do not use any ingredients from china at all. so why all the mixing if i may ask. natural balance is an ok food and works for alot of bullies but for the price hmmm.

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
I have to mix her dry food with wet food because she only has 2 and 1/2 teeth. She also has had a poor appetite from from what I have been told. She seems to be doing well on the new mixture now so that's good Who knows what she was fed before the adoption clinic got her. She is eating her entire meal now twice a day. Which is a first for her. Without the wet food however, she eats nothings. She weighs (47 lbs.) and the vet wants her on this high quality grainless diet to help her body heal and to keep her weight kind of steady. She also has arthritis and hips and shoulder problems which is the reason I also give her glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM, Cosequin D5 (a maximimum strength joint supplement for dogs) and 1 1200 mg fish oil, and a vitamin A and D.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh so you are using nb canned food used to top the dry food ok I get it now. Hard to go wrong with the other two food and I have heard nothing bad about totw food even though its made by diamond good luck

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
Right - I was just trying to find a good canned food to get Rosie to swallow the Taste of the Wild or the Orijen. Some people thought that Orijen was too high in protein and fat for her, but I'm going with what the vet says to give her. She eats so much less food on this combination - so does my boxer as well. Hopefully she'll lose a few pounds on it. Not that she needs the wet food, but since Rosie has it, Sophie thinks she needs it!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i would try other flavors after a bit just to mix it up with the wet food. natural balance makes lots of them and you can still stay grain free. wellness makes these 95% canned foods that my dogs love. they have chicken turkey salmon lamb and beef. also if the orijen doesnt work out as it is alot of protein champion does make acana that is lower protein you can try. im so happy your pup is doing better.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have always used the canned Wellness varieties (except chicken which is the devil) to make a gravy for whatever food my dogs are having this week (joke).
They love it!

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
I've looked at Wellness and several other top brands as well. They run about $2.69 to $2.89 a can. Natural Balance is around $2.14 - so I do mix it up with Trippett ($2.79) and Merrick Wilderness (which does have grain in it), but I'm trying to balance the cost of the high dollar foods. I love checking out the new foods and see which one they really excel on - and I don't go bankrupt on.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3513]sleet[/MENTION] what about totw canned food should be cheaper and grain free also holistic select is not grain free but not expensive. I totally understand as I have 5 pets to feed myself

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
By the way - I bought a small bag of good ol' Nature's Balance Bison & Sweet Potato as a "tider over". We are still working with our nutritionist (the beloved expert and EBN in-house resource extraordinaire: [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]) on the next food choice. It was as if I turned on the PERFECT POO MACHINE. Seriously. Soft serve yesterday evening and this afternoon: Gorgeous, firm, pick-up-able poops.

Must be that sweet potato!

Now if it didn't give Bea the itchies and tear stains from hell on both!

Members online

No members online now.