I'm New Here

lisagbarker

Apr 15, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
Hi, I'm Lisa. I'm new to this forum. I'm about to get an Old English Bulldog. I've had a Valley Bulldog and several Boxers. My question is he's 6 weeks old with a curly "corkscrew" tail and I am just reading that these tails can come with medical issues. How do I know if he has a Pocket/Fold and do I ask the breeder for an x-ray to be sure there is no spine deformity? I just want to be prepared. I do know that the tail was docked even though it's the corkscrew type so I don't know if that makes a difference. Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! Not all bulldogs end up with a tail pocket so there is a chance it will be a none issues, but to be safe always lean under the tail on a daily bases. I use witch hazel on a cotton pad

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi, I'm Lisa. I'm new to this forum. I'm about to get an Old English Bulldog. I've had a Valley Bulldog and several Boxers. My question is he's 6 weeks old with a curly "corkscrew" tail and I am just reading that these tails can come with medical issues. How do I know if he has a Pocket/Fold and do I ask the breeder for an x-ray to be sure there is no spine deformity? I just want to be prepared. I do know that the tail was docked even though it's the corkscrew type so I don't know if that makes a difference. Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you
Welcome to EBNā€¼ļø

If itā€™s the Old English Bulldog youā€™re getting, they really have these issues. The ā€œOldā€ isnā€™t the English Bulldog. 2 different breeds.

OP
L

lisagbarker

Apr 15, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
Thank you. I do know they are two different breeds. I did read that the corkscrew tail is common to both breeds. The puppy I am getting currently has no pockets or folds. I did read they can develop by 6 months so I was just inquiring to see if anyone with a bulldog with a corkscrew tail had any major issues.
:)

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Lisa,
Welcome to EBN! Like other threads, I will tell you too that this site is very informative. I too am semi-new to this site. I have only had my Bully for about 9 months and I do not regret getting him; heā€™s been a blessing to my wife and I life. So when are we going to see your fur-baby? Again, welcome to the site.