Not new but returning

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I wouldn’t use gold bond on any open wound as it has , zinc oxide powder, menthol and talc. Often talc particles contain asbestos so think twice before using Gold Bond.

VirginiaScott

May 2, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rok
Hello, this is my first time posting,
We had a female bulldog with ingrown tail for almost 14 years and did not need to have tail amputation done after alot of care.

For the tail pocket - clean daily with Chlorhexodine 2% (blue stuff), dilute as per directions, squirt dilution on cotton makeup pads, 2 wet pads, 1 dry - every night before bed or more often if needed.
After cleaning as above, apply (squirt)a small aount of NeopredF powder into pocket when itchy - use a small plastic condiment bottle with the tip inserted into the pocket slightly. (prescription required)
One a week give a bath with the diluted Chlorhexidine and make the dog sit in it to clean the tail pocket out. DO NOT GET Chlorehexidine in eyes!

After Tail problems calm down (less complaining) we used a little bit of Animax oinment, which was also occasionally used on ears (not deep application).

For itchy blotchy patchy hot spots with the skin (alopecia/allergies/etc)
We found "MiconaHex+Triz Shampoo" to work the best - twice per week to start then once per week.

NadineM

Mar 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
Hello, this is my first time posting,
We had a female bulldog with ingrown tail for almost 14 years and did not need to have tail amputation done after alot of care.

For the tail pocket - clean daily with Chlorhexodine 2% (blue stuff), dilute as per directions, squirt dilution on cotton makeup pads, 2 wet pads, 1 dry - every night before bed or more often if needed.
After cleaning as above, apply (squirt)a small aount of NeopredF powder into pocket when itchy - use a small plastic condiment bottle with the tip inserted into the pocket slightly. (prescription required)
One a week give a bath with the diluted Chlorhexidine and make the dog sit in it to clean the tail pocket out. DO NOT GET Chlorehexidine in eyes!

After Tail problems calm down (less complaining) we used a little bit of Animax oinment, which was also occasionally used on ears (not deep application).

For itchy blotchy patchy hot spots with the skin (alopecia/allergies/etc)
We found "MiconaHex+Triz Shampoo" to work the best - twice per week to start then once per week.
Hi! My 2-1/2 year old baby is itching her tail badly, the vet said it may be her glands but the bottom of her tail looks swollen and red, It seems to get better after putting wrinkle cream on it but the itch is everyday. How did you know it was the tail pocket? Mine did get an infection before she turned 1 so I do still use the chlorhexidine from time to time after the infection was gone. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Hi! My 2-1/2 year old baby is itching her tail badly, the vet said it may be her glands but the bottom of her tail looks swollen and red, It seems to get better after putting wrinkle cream on it but the itch is everyday. How did you know it was the tail pocket? Mine did get an infection before she turned 1 so I do still use the chlorhexidine from time to time after the infection was gone. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Did the vet look at it and say "May be her glands"? 😱
Your description of it getting red and swollen sounds like you've already discovered there's an issue. But to answer your question, if it isn't readily obvious on the outside, you can try to push the skin and tail apart to sort of "unroll it" so-to-speak and get a look inside, you can also take a whiff. If you can't get at it, you can try a cotton swab, if it comes out damp or dirty you have a problem. If it comes out dry, it's possible there is a buildup of hair bothering her. Of course, it could also be her glands... I just can't believe a Vet took a look and that's all they did/said.

NadineM

Mar 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
Did the vet look at it and say "May be her glands"? 😱
Your description of it getting red and swollen sounds like you've already discovered there's an issue. But to answer your question, if it isn't readily obvious on the outside, you can try to push the skin and tail apart to sort of "unroll it" so-to-speak and get a look inside, you can also take a whiff. If you can't get at it, you can try a cotton swab, if it comes out damp or dirty you have a problem. If it comes out dry, it's possible there is a buildup of hair bothering her. Of course, it could also be her glands... I just can't believe a Vet took a look and that's all they did/said.
Thank you! I will take her to another vet to see if they can tell me something further. Makes me sad when she itches as I can tell she is bothered.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Thank you! I will take her to another vet to see if they can tell me something further. Makes me sad when she itches as I can tell she is bothered.
We have a couple of Bulldogs with tight tails that get "dirty" and need wiping. I use a disposable nitrile glove and Tucks medicated Pads or Baby wipes to clean while my wife holds the subject. After cleaning we will apply some Mometamax or similar antibiotic if needed.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My 2 girls don't have tail pockets but they do have tails so sometimes they get in the way of poop so I have to wipe their butts every time they poop. And sometimes because of how their tails lay, they get a little yeasty under there and they will scoot their butts. When that happens, I use @helsonwheels essential oil mix and it usually clears everything up.

Members online

No members online now.