As promised, sash is home, new pics attached.

OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
I would definitely try adding a meal right before bed so she doesnā€™t vomit on empty stomach hopefully!

When my French Bulldog was a pup, he was eating 1.5 cups per day when he came home to us.
There should be a feeding guide recommendations on the back of the bag of her food.

Smaller more frequent meals would be best for her in my opinion. Thatā€™s not acid reflux, but it is likely simply she needs smaller more frequent meals cause she vomits from being hungry.

Also, one thing I do with my dogs, is I donā€™t let them play hard and no walks until 2 hours AFTER they eat or let them play and go for walks before feeding her, as I donā€™t want them to get bloated and it can help then digest it better. But itā€™s up to you if you want to limit play after she eats a meal, especially the large meal.

So she is also vomiting up the kibble??
Itā€™s possible Iā€™m over feeding but Iā€™m only giving less than a hand full of kibble each time. Iā€™ll weigh out the next portion to be 1/4 cup precisely.

Itā€™s 10pm here now an all the pet stores are closed. Iā€™m worried about not feeding her and Iā€™m also worried about feeding her more Orijen food. From research I should have weaned her off it slowly by giving 75% royal canin and 25% Orijen. Itā€™s possible the Orijen is too rich for her at this moment or the sudden change in diet is upsetting her stomach.

She did vomit up the kibble twice today (didnā€™t yesterday). Iā€™ll be visiting the pet store first thing 11am tomorrow when itā€™s open, does anyone have a recommendation of what I might be able to feed her in the mean time?

I do not think she is sick as she is really playful still and currently walking and barking and playing as normal.

I will pm you privately a picture of her vomit, I hope you donā€™t mind, you might be able to understand more from that than I can.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Itā€™s possible Iā€™m over feeding but Iā€™m only giving less than a hand full of kibble each time. Iā€™ll weigh out the next portion to be 1/4 cup precisely.

Itā€™s 10pm here now an all the pet stores are closed. Iā€™m worried about not feeding her and Iā€™m also worried about feeding her more Orijen food. From research I should have weaned her off it slowly by giving 75% royal canin and 25% Orijen. Itā€™s possible the Orijen is too rich for her at this moment or the sudden change in diet is upsetting her stomach.

She did vomit up the kibble twice today (didnā€™t yesterday). Iā€™ll be visiting the pet store first thing 11am tomorrow when itā€™s open, does anyone have a recommendation of what I might be able to feed her in the mean time?

I do not think she is sick as she is really playful still and currently walking and barking and playing as normal.

I will pm you privately a picture of her vomit, I hope you donā€™t mind, you might be able to understand more from that than I can.

Do you have the raw food you ordered from the company at home?

I would try her on that without the kibble and see if that helps as itā€™s way easier on their system to digest, and it keeps her hydrated from the moisture.

The Orijen can definitely be rich for some dogs, thatā€™s common with some dogs eating Orijen.

I personally wouldnā€™t go back to the Royal Canin, and even if you gradually transitioned her to the Orijen doesnā€™t mean she would tolerate it better than she is now.

Smaller frequent meals and a snack before bed and try the raw food you ordered for her. Hopefully that stops the vomiting, i think it would help.

OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
Do you have the raw food you ordered from the company at home?

I would try her on that without the kibble and see if that helps as itā€™s way easier on their system to digest, and it keeps her hydrated from the moisture.

The Orijen can definitely be rich for some dogs, thatā€™s common with some dogs eating Orijen.

I personally wouldnā€™t go back to the Royal Canin, and even if you gradually transitioned her to the Orijen doesnā€™t mean she would tolerate it better than she is now.

Smaller frequent meals and a snack before bed and try the raw food you ordered for her. Hopefully that stops the vomiting, i think it would help.
I do. Itā€™s in the freezer right now. Iā€™ll go and grab some to defrost and see if she can manage to eat any of that.

It would be a shame of having to throw away $100 bag of the Orijen food if thatā€™s the case. The breeder still has a couple pups left, and I contacted him earlier and theyā€™re both having zero issues at the moment.. a still on Royal Canin.

Sheā€™s currently sleeping next to me, and having vomited her last 2 meals, would it be wise to feed her the raw food tonight even though itā€™s so late?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I do. Itā€™s in the freezer right now. Iā€™ll go and grab some to defrost and see if she can manage to eat any of that.

It would be a shame of having to throw away $100 bag of the Orijen food if thatā€™s the case. The breeder still has a couple pups left, and I contacted him earlier and theyā€™re both having zero issues at the moment.. a still on Royal Canin.

Sheā€™s currently sleeping next to me, and having vomited her last 2 meals, would it be wise to feed her the raw food tonight even though itā€™s so late?

You can defrost some now if you are able to. Leave it on the counter for 30 minutes or so and it should be defrosted just enough and it doesnā€™t hurt for them to eat it frozen. Rest goes in fridge. She should have something to eat.

Your puppy also is at a different home and is adjusting, not just on a new food.
Your breeder having the other pups there and feed them what they have been on, and they have been in that same environment for a while. Thatā€™s probably why they donā€™t have health issues yet.

If it was me, I would Not put the puppy back on Royal Canin.
Especially if you want to prevent new health issues and allergies.

Again, she is still adjusting to the new home and the Orijen is possibly too rich for her. Try her on the raw you have for her. She may not vomit anymore.
Thatā€™s what I would do try her on just Raw as Soon as possible and no kibble until you know how she does with just rawšŸ‘

OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
Just a quick update to everyone. I have thawed the proraw dog food I had purchased and gave her 40g to eat before bed. She was sniffing at first and wasnā€™t as keen as kibble, as when she has kibble she canā€™t help but absolutely demolish it šŸ˜…she did eat the raw food and Iā€™ve just crated her away an hopefully she wonā€™t vomit any of this up! Will update again tomorrow morning.. crossing my fingers all is ok with the new pup, really hope she is ok.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Congrats. Sash is a little cutie.

I would drop the treats n stick to the meals. Let her stomach adjust cause she just got off momā€™s milk not to long ago. If sheā€™s eating too fast get a stainless steel slow feeder dog bowl.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a cutie pie!! How is she doing since you gave her the raw food?

OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
What a cutie pie!! How is she doing since you gave her the raw food?
She hasnā€™t been sick anymore since feeding the raw diet :) she is pooping less, definitely more active and playful, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s just because she is settling in more .. but overall she is sleeping a lot better too. I couldnā€™t bare sleeping when I was on constant alert of her maybe vomiting, I was constantly worrying so could barely sleep.. anytime she retched my heart would beat a thousand times per secondā€¦ finally I think tonight I will be able to get more sleep and sleep more easy knowing she is healthier and happier. Everyoneā€™s advice here has been amazing and Iā€™m super glad Iā€™ve joined this forum.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Wow, what a beautifully colored pup. TY for posting the pics and please keep the pics coming.

Members online

No members online now.