Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Hello Everyone. I have a few starter questions for a new puppy and puppy owner

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbz
    Likes (Received)

Talking Hello Everyone. I have a few starter questions for a new puppy and puppy owner

Hello, My names Nick and I'm new to the site, as a bulldog owner and as a puppy owner. I would love any feedback from anyone with more knowledge about my pup to get a better understanding.

I am currently using iams puppy food and would like to know how long I should keep my puppy on actual puppy food. I live in an apartment and would like for him to stay as small as possible. I have read that its so easy for these kinds of dogs to become overweight. He is currently about 13 lbs at 12 weeks of age. Does that sounds like the right weight per age so far??
    Thank you for reading!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello Everyone. I have a few starter questions for a new puppy and puppy owner

to EBN!!!

Here is a great thread to get you started w/your new puppy...English Bulldog News Forums - Welcoming Home Your New English Bulldog Puppy

And you really should consider another dog food, IAMS is not a great choice... we tell people to check on Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor and look at the food ratings. Your pup will need to eat 3 times a day, and at this young stage I would not be concerned about weight gain. It takes about 3 years for a bully to completely finish growing, so you have plenty of time.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello Everyone. I have a few starter questions for a new puppy and puppy owner

to you and your puppy. As Tracey mentioned,this is no time to worry about weight. Your pup needs good nutrition as he is growing. My grown dogs eat a good food 3 times a day, and they are not over weight. If you have seen the size of his parents-that can give you an idea of his potential. Do not try to manage his size by with holding nutrition.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

4. Likes 2BullyMama, CCandMurray, rjisaterp liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

to EBN!

As others have said, weight at this stage should not be a concern , but you do need to find a better food-- grain free for better health.

here is a good guideline for feeding... usually keep on puppy food till at least 8 months, then you can switch to adult. Unless, you feed an all stages grain free food... then it is puppy through life
    8 weeks 1/2 cup 3 times a day
    12 weeks 2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
    4 & 5 months 3/4 cup 3 times a day
    6 months to 1 year 1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

6. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

8. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to EBN. Jewel and Bentley say hello.

Remove Ads