JaysinSr

Aug 14, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello, my name is Jason and my son and daughter-in-law are looking to buy an English Bulldog puppy. They were asking me as to what questions they should ask and I figured it would be beat to ask the professionals. So what would yā€™all say are must ask questions to ask before picking up their life long friend? Also, a question from myself, what kind of health guarantees should reputable breeders offer with their puppies? We want to be sure their new member to their family is healthy and lives a very happy and long life!

If these questions have already been answered, please let me know where I can find them. Thank you all for such a wonderful resource!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Most reputable breeders will have good reviews online... so do your research. I would check to see if the parents are registered w/the AKC or CKC, and I would absolutely insist on seeing the parents or at least the mother in person. Anyone selling pups BEFORE 12 weeks of age, I would stay away from... that is TOO soon to be weaned from the mother. We had our pups checked by our personal vet immediately after purchase, and if my vet didn't clear them we wouldn't keep them (which never happened). As far as health guarantees, that can be a tricky one... this is where your vet check is vital (I cannot stress enough to have a vet that is experienced w/EBD) but MOST reputable breeders will take a pup back that doesn't pass a general health check. IMO a good breeder will take the time to answer ALL the questions, and will want details about the home... do you have a good bully vet beforehand? What is the home situation, is there other pets?!! And be willing to answer any questions that you have about raising a bully puppy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
100% what [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] said. Also the most important thing is, you need to understand EB are NOT like most breeds. There is numerous maintenance to do because itā€™s a breed that if you donā€™t keep up on the maintenance, you will be definitely be at the vet more often. We stress it very often in here to keep them folds dry n also theyā€™re prone to allergies. To avoid most of these issues is to feed them a raw diet. If not at least a higher quality kibble n do add raw organs as a topper. Itā€™s to boost their immune system. You will avoid lots of visits at the vet. Most importantly like mentioned, find a bully vet. Ask questions if he/she does treat or even owns bullies.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I also asked for their veterinarians phone number and called, spoke to the seller's vet about their pups and previous pups, asked about their health and any problems, etc. Make sure they agree for you to have a vet check and a return if any illness or conformation problems.which can void sale. If you don't live too far, go to their home to see the mother and cleanliness conditions. See sire if possible. Online reviews can be iffy, as they can be forged.

OP
J

JaysinSr

Aug 14, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Most reputable breeders will have good reviews online... so do your research. I would check to see if the parents are registered w/the AKC or CKC, and I would absolutely insist on seeing the parents or at least the mother in person. Anyone selling pups BEFORE 12 weeks of age, I would stay away from... that is TOO soon to be weaned from the mother. We had our pups checked by our personal vet immediately after purchase, and if my vet didn't clear them we wouldn't keep them (which never happened). As far as health guarantees, that can be a tricky one... this is where your vet check is vital (I cannot stress enough to have a vet that is experienced w/EBD) but MOST reputable breeders will take a pup back that doesn't pass a general health check. IMO a good breeder will take the time to answer ALL the questions, and will want details about the home... do you have a good bully vet beforehand? What is the home situation, is there other pets?!! And be willing to answer any questions that you have about raising a bully puppy.

We do have a great vet locally, but I couldnā€™t really speak to their bully experience. I will certainly do my due diligence there now, thank you! They currently only have a hamster, but itā€™s home is pretty high off the ground. Thank you for all the great info!!! I will certainly pass this along to them.

OP
J

JaysinSr

Aug 14, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
100% what [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] said. Also the most important thing is, you need to understand EB are NOT like most breeds. There is numerous maintenance to do because itā€™s a breed that if you donā€™t keep up on the maintenance, you will be definitely be at the vet more often. We stress it very often in here to keep them folds dry n also theyā€™re prone to allergies. To avoid most of these issues is to feed them a raw diet. If not at least a higher quality kibble n do add raw organs as a topper. Itā€™s to boost their immune system. You will avoid lots of visits at the vet. Most importantly like mentioned, find a bully vet. Ask questions if he/she does treat or even owns bullies.

I told them the same thing, even told them that they should definitely get pet insurance to help with the vet bills so they can be sure to have all the check ups and visits that are needed. I have heard in my search, about the raw diet. Interestingly enough, they had mentioned about cooking their new puppies meals. So I think they are in the right track there. But I will most certainly share more details about it through the research I do here. Thank you!!!

OP
J

JaysinSr

Aug 14, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I also asked for their veterinarians phone number and called, spoke to the seller's vet about their pups and previous pups, asked about their health and any problems, etc. Make sure they agree for you to have a vet check and a return if any illness or conformation problems.which can void sale. If you don't live too far, go to their home to see the mother and cleanliness conditions. See sire if possible. Online reviews can be iffy, as they can be forged.

Thatā€™s a great idea, I didnā€™t think about asking for their vets number. I will let them know to get that info from them. As well as have the vet check up right away. Great advice from everyone! I cannot thank you all enough!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I told them the same thing, even told them that they should definitely get pet insurance to help with the vet bills so they can be sure to have all the check ups and visits that are needed. I have heard in my search, about the raw diet. Interestingly enough, they had mentioned about cooking their new puppies meals. So I think they are in the right track there. But I will most certainly share more details about it through the research I do here. Thank you!!!

I home cooked for my brindle Nyala cause she had crystal issues on n off. I had enough n decided to cook for her. Somewhere within n weekish her crystals disappeared for good. I would boil a massive turkey for 6-8 hrs. Itā€™s the broth that is the magic potion. Every meal she had her turkey, veggies n top with that broth. Later switched to raw. Bare in mind crystals n most health issues can happen to any breed. EB is more on breathing issues/area n yeast cause of folds. I have a credit card just for them. Nyala is going to be 6 in a bit n Jake is 4.5. To this day I barely used the card. In my case not worth paying 200$ a month for insurances cause if I do the math n their age, would have dished out a lot of $ on the insurances. Insurances are good if you have as we say a ā€œlemonā€ā€¦not a car but pet. Why itā€™s very important to check out the breeder, the parents, find a bully vet, feed them right as mentioned above.

Members online

No members online now.