Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New puppies with bloody diarrhea..

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New puppies with bloody diarrhea..

Quote Originally Posted by CW2223 View Post
    My girl has giardia. I'm so upset and feel awful. The vet gave Violet some fluids, an antibiotic injection and also sent home another antibiotic to give her in addition to the metronidazole that I picked up yesterday. I asked about parvo because I'm a worrier and the vet said if her stool sample did not show a parasite, she would be more concerned about parvo. If Violet isnt better and actually worse after 24 hours, we will take her back in. Both Finn and Violet have appointments on Saturday anyway for shots so she will be looked at again then too. i wash their bedding and crate pads regularly anyway (just did last night actually) as well as their bowls. Anything else I may be missing?
    I am PRAYING for Violet!!!! I don't know a ton about giardia, but I think that IS caused by a parasite, but not sure. Maybe help from more knowledgeable members. BULLY HUGS !!! Keep us posted!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear about the giardia. Yes, it is a parasite. But it is highly common especially in young puppies like yours. Be sure to always wash your hands and bedding, etc. And know there is a good chance that Finn will get it too, especially if they are drinking out of the same bowl.

My Frenchie has had it twice, the first time being when we got him. He was put on Panacur both times and it cleared up after one treatment. There have been cases where multiple treatments are necessary.

4. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol, helsonwheels liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    Sorry to hear about the giardia. Yes, it is a parasite. But it is highly common especially in young puppies like yours. Be sure to always wash your hands and bedding, etc. And know there is a good chance that Finn will get it too, especially if they are drinking out of the same bowl.

My Frenchie has had it twice, the first time being when we got him. He was put on Panacur both times and it cleared up after one treatment. There have been cases where multiple treatments are necessary.
    Yes.. it is very contagious!! Clean and bleach if she goes in the house and try to keep Finn away from where she poos.

My girl has giardia. I'm so upset and feel awful. The vet gave Violet some fluids, an antibiotic injection and also sent home another antibiotic to give her in addition to the metronidazole that I picked up yesterday. I asked about parvo because I'm a worrier and the vet said if her stool sample did not show a parasite, she would be more concerned about parvo. If Violet isnt better and actually worse after 24 hours, we will take her back in. Both Finn and Violet have appointments on Saturday anyway for shots so she will be looked at again then too. i wash their bedding and crate pads regularly anyway (just did last night actually) as well as their bowls. Anything else I may be missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

And since you know it's giardia it's a good idea to retreat in a few weeks since it does tend to come back otherwise from ingesting the eggs (cysts). Very important to wash dog from head to toe and environment on last day of treatment.

7. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol, helsonwheels liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
    Likes (Received)

So glad you took her in & she's dx'ed, don't beat yourself up!
    As with Lisa @bullmama, I suspected giardia, poor pup
    I would delay giving them shots on Saturday (Finn may have
    this too or get it). Both giardia & the meds given are hard on
    their systems so give time to build gut health back up. Never
    give shots to sick pups or with weakened immune systems. A
    month of delay to get them well should do the trick just avoid
    them out & about until all shots have been given. Better safe
    than sorry! Group hugs for all & lots of rest, you are a great
    Mama, give yourself credit Praying over y'all. XOXO

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Dont feel bad. At least you know what it is . Duke was stress cause of a new home and playing hard. I would ask your vet Saturday if the shots can wait till Violet is recover from giardia. Cause that's going to be a lot of meds for a little 7 month old. See what she thinks.

11. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    And since you know it's giardia it's a good idea to retreat in a few weeks since it does tend to come back otherwise from ingesting the eggs (cysts). Very important to wash dog from head to toe and environment on last day of treatment.
    Very true! All infected pets should be retested 2 to 4 weeks after completion of treatment. Good point!!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Finn & Violet
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post

Very true! All infected pets should be retested 2 to 4 weeks after completion of treatment. Good point!!
    I told my husband last night that we are definite retesting! And thank you guys for bringing up delaying Violet's shots. I'm going to do that as well! Violet this morning compared to Violet yesterday morning is like a whole new pup. She's playing with her brother right now and after going out to potty this morning, she was sitting in the laundry room looking at the cabinet where we keep their food. She's so hungry. The vet gave us some canned food, bland stuff, and she liked it last night but not so much today. She keeps wanting to go over and eat Finn's kibble. Also drinking, I'm really not seeing her drink much water at all and I don't want her to get dehydrated. She was yesterday and the vet gave her some fluids. Anything I can do get get her to drink more??

14. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Try adding a little chicken broth to her water and or water to her food. That will usually get them motivated.
    Alternatively, you can make Knox blocks and feed her water in a gelatinous form. Knox gelatin mixed with chicken broth will keep her hydrated.
    This is what we use for our MINI.

http://sidneyme.blogspot.com/2011/06...knox-blox.html

You needn't be concerned about feeding from a chair, that's just for Mega E dogs.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

16. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I told my husband last night that we are definite retesting! And thank you guys for bringing up delaying Violet's shots. I'm going to do that as well! Violet this morning compared to Violet yesterday morning is like a whole new pup. She's playing with her brother right now and after going out to potty this morning, she was sitting in the laundry room looking at the cabinet where we keep their food. She's so hungry. The vet gave us some canned food, bland stuff, and she liked it last night but not so much today. She keeps wanting to go over and eat Finn's kibble. Also drinking, I'm really not seeing her drink much water at all and I don't want her to get dehydrated. She was yesterday and the vet gave her some fluids. Anything I can do get get her to drink more??
    Ice cubes. They love playing with them then end up eating it. I always boil turkeys for the pups, cut them up in pieces n freeze them in ziplock bags which is topped with it's broth. I also started to keep some broth to do "broth ice cubes." Boil the turkeys for 5 hrs n you'll get tons on great minerals from the bones with is fantastic for your pups n yourself if you want to do a real homemade soup. (Remove all fats).

Im glad little V is starting to show signs of "im hungry feed me"..... that's a sign we all want to see.

18. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama, Chunky White liked this post
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Good luck at the vet and I hope they get better. After looking at the pictures you posted I am jealous of you. LOL

Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

20. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Hi There!! Ellie and I have been following your story, and wishing you the best!!...You are great mommy, Hang in there, You got this, How is Ms Violet feeling today?!?! and how is brother doing too?!?!

Thanks and much Love,

Melissa - Ellie's Mom

22. Likes Chunky White liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads