Toilet training nightmare! Help!

LylaEBD

Dec 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lyla
Hi,
We have a gorgeous 1 year old English Bulldog Bitch that we have had since an 8 week old pup. She has always slept in a cage/ penn. She uses bells to tell us when she want to go out. She weeā€™s and poops in the garden with no issues. Now to the bad partā€¦. We cannot get her to stop weeing and pooping over night, messing in her cage/ penn when we leave her for a few hours and were beyond frustrated with her. Weve tried positive praise when she goes outside, we put her out everynight before bed and she will go to the toilet outside but will still mess overnight.
Weā€™ve taken her to my mums for the afternoon and she has peed on her carpet within the first 15 minutes of being there. Its getting to a point where people dont want us to bring her round to their houses.
She is unneutered at present.

We would be so grateful for any advice as to where we are going wrong or any advice about how we can get her out of this messing in the house.

Thanks Holly

Attachments

• IMG_2269.jpeg
    IMG_2269.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 18

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
could it be anxiety? try putting a dirty t-shirt of yours in with her and see if it helps. Also... does she not like being in the crate? As for Mum's rug... are there other dogs in the home that could have soiled the rug and she smells it?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would get up during the night and take her out. If she doesn't go keep trying to judge the time she DOES go.
Taking her to Mom's keep her on a tight leash. If it's a long visit,take her out several times. Take up her water a few hours before you go as helene suggested. It will take vigilence (sp?) since she is not a pup. This is just what I would do.
Just wondering-is this something new or has been always? Sometimes ya' gotta give up some sleep! ;)

Last edited:
OP
LylaEBD

LylaEBD

Dec 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lyla
I would get up during the night and take her out. If she doesn't go keep trying to judge the time she DOES go.
Taking her to Mom's keep her on a tight leash. If it's a long visit,take her out several times. Take up her water a few hours before you go as helene suggested. It will take vigilence (sp?) since she is not a pup. This is just what I would do.
Just wondering-is this something new or has been always? Sometimes ya' gotta give up some sleep! ;)
Honestly I would say that we have never cracked toilet training. It seems that when we leave her for a few hours during the day or at nighttime she will toilet, however this isnt everytime. She will have a week where shes brilliant, but will then mess again. I was wondering could it be hormone related as shes an un-neutered youngster.
I will try taking up water in an evening and feeding her earlier. I am also going to try a night time walk before bed.

Walter23

Jan 2, 2024
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Hi guys. I have the same problem with the toilet training at the minute. Although my pup is 6months old. He knows to go outside as he gets praised every time and we take him to the same spot each time and had no problem weeing and pooing there. He goes out for his last wee and poo around 10pm then itā€™s bed time. I wake up everyday during the week at 5am and go straight downstairs to let him out. I then find heā€™s pooed and weed in the kitchen already. Is this normal for a 6month old puppy? My frenchy craked toilet training around 5month old. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou Kyle

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he might not like be alone in kitchen... is it possible to leave a dirty t-shirt of yours with him at night so he keeps your scent and will sleep through the night.
At 6 months he should be able to hold it for 7 hours

Members online

No members online now.