Toilet Training help

JeremyDublin75

Nov 16, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Clyde
My 17 weeks old puppy is not getting toilet training.

He'll go out first thing for a wee, and have a poo after his breakfast. But he'll then have another poo about 30 mins later but won't ask to go out so hell just sneak off the o a corner and poo. I'm not quite sure what to do as somedays he's great, other days he'll just go in the House. We get him outside regularly but he's just not asking to go out. Any advice would be appreciated as I am unsure what to do. Thanks

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
My 17 weeks old puppy is not getting toilet training.

He'll go out first thing for a wee, and have a poo after his breakfast. But he'll then have another poo about 30 mins later but won't ask to go out so hell just sneak off the o a corner and poo. I'm not quite sure what to do as somedays he's great, other days he'll just go in the House. We get him outside regularly but he's just not asking to go out. Any advice would be appreciated as I am unsure what to do. Thanks
17 weeks is still very young. It isnā€™t surprising that he would be ā€œgetting itā€ sometimes and not others. He is still learning. Youā€™ve gotta both give him time and make changes yourself as well. Example: Perhaps heā€™s a two-poo doggie and needs to go out a second time in the morning (this is what Beth does at 2 years old), or maybe he needs kennel time. Try to find what works for now and then expect him to switch it up

OP
J

JeremyDublin75

Nov 16, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Clyde
17 weeks is still very young. It isnā€™t surprising that he would be ā€œgetting itā€ sometimes and not others. He is still learning. Youā€™ve gotta both give him time and make changes yourself as well. Example: Perhaps heā€™s a two-poo doggie and needs to go out a second time in the morning (this is what Beth does at 2 years old), or maybe he needs kennel time. Try to find what works for now and then expect him to switch it up
thanks for the advice

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
17 weeks is still a baby and accidents should be expected. My dogs have all been potty trained around 5 - 6 months. Establish a routine in taking him out so he knows what door, etc. to go to (for me, I always carry them out the back door to go potty and then one day they each would just go to the back door to indicate they need out) and always keep your eyes on him in the house or in a crate if you can't watch him. Take out immediately after waking up and after playing, about 15 mins after eating/drinking. If you notice him start to sniff around the floor, grab him and take him out. Give high praise and a high value treat when he does go outside. It feels like it takes forever, but he will eventually just get it one day. Some take longer than others but the time will come!

CornyXo

Feb 19, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Toilet training can be a challenge, especially with a young puppy. Consistency is key! Try taking him out more frequently, especially after meals and naps, and reward him with treats and praise when he goes outside. Also, keep an eye on him indoors and take him out immediately if you notice any signs he needs to go. Hang in there!

Members online

No members online now.