Soft and bright poo

kemalcorek

Aug 10, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Hi guys,
My girl is 11 months old and i feed her only dry feed twice a day, in total 450gr a day. Its harringtons turkey and rice flavour. She always have super soft and bright poo’s. Is that normal? Would you suggest anything else?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I don't have personal experience with Harrington's Turkey and Rice flavour, but from what you've described, I can offer some thoughts.

If the Turkey and Rice flavour is part of their puppy line, you might want to consider switching to an adult food by now. I usually recommend making this switch around 4-6 months of age.

As for the bright colour of the stools, it's likely related to the food itself. I tend to prefer to see a darker colour in the stool, which you would certainly achieve with a different food. This forum has a strong presence of members that promote Raw diets. There are a few on here from the UK, who will hopefully chime in 🤩

The soft consistency of the stools could be a sign that you're feeding her a bit too much. According to Harrington's website, the recommended portion for a dog of her size is around "150-250g between 3 meals per day." It looks like you might be feeding her twice as much as recommended, and that could be why the stools are soft.

You want the fecal consistency to be firm, kind of like slightly dried playdough. This change in the amount of food might help you get to that consistency.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi guys,
My girl is 11 months old and i feed her only dry feed twice a day, in total 450gr a day. Its harringtons turkey and rice flavour. She always have super soft and bright poo’s. Is that normal? Would you suggest anything else?

Sounds like the food your feeding may not agree with her. Or you could be feeding too much.

I recommend switching her to Raw diet if your open to it???

if your in UK, I know there is a raw dog food there - Pro Dog Raw.

I am in Canada, but I heard of Pro Dog Raw being a good UK brand- from google search it looks like a good raw.

Hopefully someone will have other raw brands available in UK.

I would try switching her to a raw diet and her digestion should be way better.
Definitely rotate proteins to prevent new food allergies and picky eater.

If you plan to stick with kibble, i would get her on a high quality probiotic.
Four Leaf Rover brand Gut Guard is really good for loose stool and digestion issues. I use this for my dog if he has any digestion issue.

The other high quality brand for probiotics is Adored Beast.

If you want to stick to kibble- these are the brands I recommend:
-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Definitely AVOID these brands as they are all garbage/fillers:
-Purina
-Hills
-Royal Canin
-Eukanuba
-Science diet
-blue Buffalo
-anything from vet or grocery store avoid.

OP
K

kemalcorek

Aug 10, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
I don't have personal experience with Harrington's Turkey and Rice flavour, but from what you've described, I can offer some thoughts.

If the Turkey and Rice flavour is part of their puppy line, you might want to consider switching to an adult food by now. I usually recommend making this switch around 4-6 months of age.

As for the bright colour of the stools, it's likely related to the food itself. I tend to prefer to see a darker colour in the stool, which you would certainly achieve with a different food. This forum has a strong presence of members that promote Raw diets. There are a few on here from the UK, who will hopefully chime in 🤩

The soft consistency of the stools could be a sign that you're feeding her a bit too much. According to Harrington's website, the recommended portion for a dog of her size is around "150-250g between 3 meals per day." It looks like you might be feeding her twice as much as recommended, and that could be why the stools are soft.

You want the fecal consistency to be firm, kind of like slightly dried playdough. This change in the amount of food might help you get to that consistency.
Dear Benny,

Thank you so much for your response.

I followed what was saying back of the package of Harrington’s.
20-40kg’s 6-12 months suggesting 430-720gr twice a day.

She is 25kg and i give max 450gr a day

Clearly either the amount or Turkey rice flavour doesnt do well to her.

What are your thoughts between dry and raw food?

Many thanks
Kemal

OP
K

kemalcorek

Aug 10, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Sounds like the food your feeding may not agree with her. Or you could be feeding too much.

I recommend switching her to Raw diet if your open to it???

if your in UK, I know there is a raw dog food there - Pro Dog Raw.

I am in Canada, but I heard of Pro Dog Raw being a good UK brand- from google search it looks like a good raw.

Hopefully someone will have other raw brands available in UK.

I would try switching her to a raw diet and her digestion should be way better.
Definitely rotate proteins to prevent new food allergies and picky eater.

If you plan to stick with kibble, i would get her on a high quality probiotic.
Four Leaf Rover brand Gut Guard is really good for loose stool and digestion issues. I use this for my dog if he has any digestion issue.

The other high quality brand for probiotics is Adored Beast.

If you want to stick to kibble- these are the brands I recommend:
-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Definitely AVOID these brands as they are all garbage/fillers:
-Purina
-Hills
-Royal Canin
-Eukanuba
-Science diet
-blue Buffalo
-anything from vet or grocery store avoid.
Dear 2001,

What would be the difference with dru and raw food diets on her?

I will search the brands that you have suggested

Thank you so much
Kemal

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
I followed what was saying back of the package of Harrington’s.
20-40kg’s 6-12 months suggesting 430-720gr twice a day.
She is 25kg and i give max 450gr a day
I see there are two weight listings for 20-40kg on the Harrington’s package, each with different feeding recommendations. However, 450g does seem like a substantial amount for her.

Given her weight of 25kg, could you share a photo? 25kg sounds on the heavier side for her age, though I acknowledge larger females exist.

For context, Millie has been on roughly 1250 calories since she hit the 11-12 months mark, and Beth is currently only getting 800 calories at 22 months (I need her to drop a kg). At the moment, you're providing your dog with approximately 1720 calories daily.

My suggestion? Reduce her daily intake to 250 grams. Observe her stool consistency over the next couple of days. It should ideally firm up with this adjustment. If you feel uneasy about reducing her food so dramatically, consider starting by reducing to 320 grams.

What are your thoughts between dry and raw food?

Regarding the kibble vs. raw food debate: My dogs have always thrived on kibble. Millie enjoys Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach, while Beth is on Coastal Catch. I've also introduced "raw toppers", essentially freeze-dried raw additions, purely for variety. While I'm intrigued by raw diets, I believe it's crucial to find what suits each dog best and go with that. I have friends who feed raw and others who feed dry kibble, and yet others who feed both.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Dear 2001,

What would be the difference with dru and raw food diets on her?

I will search the brands that you have suggested

Thank you so much
Kemal

Raw diet is the easiest to digest and is the best for their overall health.

Digestion issues in my experience can be resolved thru raw diet. Sometimes may need a probiotic too but depends on dog.

Raw is definitely the way to go, Definitely Avoid Purina(all formulas) Hills, Royal Canin and vet food and eukanuba.

Kibble contains lots of carbs and inflammation causing ingredients(especially low quality like the brands above) and the raw diet is the easiest to digest and it’s not inflammatory.

Way better for digestion and immune system and overall health for the dog to feed raw diet.

The only kibble I would recommend if you really want to stay with kibble is Carna 4 and Natures Logic.

Keep me updated!

OP
K

kemalcorek

Aug 10, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba

Digestion issues in my experience can be resolved thru raw diet. Sometimes may need a probiotic too but depends on dog.

Raw is definitely the way to go, Definitely Avoid Purina(all formulas) Hills, Royal Canin and vet food and eukanuba.

Kibble contains lots of carbs and inflammation causing ingredients(especially low quality like the brands above) and the raw diet is the easiest to digest and it’s not inflammatory.

Way better for digestion and immune system and overall health for the dog to feed raw diet.

The only kibble I would recommend if you really want to stay with kibble is Carna 4 and Natures Logic.

Keep me updated!
Dear Benny,

Thank you for your suggestions.

On a calorie base, you are right. I was bit worried that quite a big difference what they suggesting on the package.

I have shared some of her pictures. Whenever i took her to the vet, they were saying she is on a right size and shape

Attachments

• IMG_5597.jpeg
    IMG_5597.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5599.jpeg
    IMG_5599.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Dear Benny,

On a calorie base, you are right. I was bit worried that quite a big difference what they suggesting on the package.

I have shared some of her pictures. Whenever i took her to the vet, they were saying she is on a right size and shape
You're right she doesn't look to be overweight. I would cut down the kibble just for a few days to see if it makes any difference

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
You're right she doesn't look to be overweight. I would cut down the kibble just for a few days to see if it makes any difference
↑↑↑THIS↑↑↑
We have observed over the years that typical food recommendations(in terms of quantity) do not really apply to most Bulldogs. Cutting back on the quantity would be my first move...and, as previously mentioned, it's past time to switch to adult food.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Dear Benny,

She doesn’t look overweight.

When we used to feed kibble- the package said to feed one of my dogs 3-4 cups per day for their weight and they only needed 2 cups per day.
I don’t go by what the feeding guide on the food is and just feed them what they need for their weight and watching their weight is the best guide.

Definitely a better quality food is what I recommend other than decreasing the amount of food your feeding her. You will know in the next 2-3 days of lowering the food amount of it’s making a difference. If not making difference in 2-3 days- then I highly recommend switching her food.

Keep us updated

OP
K

kemalcorek

Aug 10, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba

Keep me updated!
Dear 2001,

Thank you for the information.

Im going to cut down the amount for now for the kittle then i might try the raw food.

OP
K

kemalcorek

Aug 10, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Dear Benny,

we are already on day 3 and there is a big difference with her stool.

Im going to change now her dry food the one you guys mentioned.

Thanks a lot.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As usual -- the gang has you covered.!!! your baby is a beauty!

Members online

No members online now.