Emilygunter

Oct 4, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
I have a almost 10 month old English bulldog. First, his problems started after I switched his food from victor hi-pro plus to the victor beef meal and brown rice. I made this switch because his farts were just terrible and I was told it was because his high protein food. But then his started to get bumps all over his body, kinda like hives. I assumed he was having an allergic reaction to his food so I switched again to victor ocean fish, I was told this food was better for dogs with allergies. He still had bumps on him for quite a while. But now he's losing hair. Another dog brought fleas into our house and he got those, we flea bombed the house as soon as we could and got rid of them. He had dry spots on his skin but I wasn't sure if this was from the fleas or his allergies. So I started to think it was tape worm from the fleas. But now he is losing hair in little tiny circles. It looks like someone splattered grease on him. You can't see the missing hair unless you are looking behind him. And he is acting totally fine. Could this be tape worm? Or just his allergic reaction still? I give him one aller-yes everyday because that's what I was told to do by our breeder. He's been on two rounds of antibiotics and steroid packs, but once I run out the bumps come right back. I don't know what else to do. Anyone know where I should go from here or have any suggestions for me?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
first of all welcome :) And you've come to the right place to get some experienced answers for your questions :) You've done great writing this out I think, and there are some who have gone through similar as of late so will let them chime in. Just hang on, help is on the way :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'd gradually switch him over a week to a grain free limited ingredient diet, preferably raw eg. Honest Kitchen Marvel turkey and parsnip . If that is too pricey for you, try a grain free limited ingredient kibble like Wellness Simple Turkey and Potato or Acana Duck and Pear.

It's hard to say what the skin problem is. It's best if vet takes a scraping, it could even be ringworm which is a fungus.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Same here. Duke went through same thing. Stopped and came back. Now seems to have stopped again. It's called puppy stress. Goes away on it's own. Can take up to a year. The issue is not the food but I would still switch what your giving him for sure. If it's feasible, get him on raw or like mentioned Honest Kitchen. Mine are on raw in the morning, raw as snacks for lunch n Acana 2/3 cup Grassland for supper n both doing great. If you only want to feed kibbles, do one protein per bag. Acana n Fromm does one protein bags and top kibbles. Stick to it for a month, then get another bag with different protein etc etc till you've eliminated what he doesn't do well on or vis versa. A tad longer as process but worth it down the road.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
No, itā€™s highly unlikely that it is tapeworm. It looks very distinct and usually easy to diagnose. This is staph infection. Persisted for more than 1 year on my Tank. Causes are mixed: allergy, weak immune system, atopy. No magic potion for it. Takes long months for hair to grow back.
Despite it is an infection, don't agree any more for antibiotics. It's useless and destroys immune system further. We tried all possible AB, for months. I even tried Convenia, super expensive 1 time in 2 weeks injection. Improvement, but when therapy stops, relapse. After you discontinue, it will come back, because your dogs immune system isn't strong enough to beat staphylococcus, which lives ALWYAS on everybodyā€™s skin, but if immune system is ok, staphylococci never get chance to multiply enough to cause skin problems. But strong immune system and bulldogs...they never happen together.
Now we got it under control, but it took long time and a lot of effort.
1. Feeding home cooked limited ingredient diet (beef, sweet potato, lentils). You can try grain free frozen raw food in case you donā€™t want to cook.
2. Supplements- high quality fish oil with high EPA and DHA content (actually now I give him human grade capsules Nordic Naturals 2 capsules a day and it works well), Nuvet or other vitamins, probiotic, from time to time I give him also human grade Vit A, Vit E and Zync tablets ( these tablets I give not regularly to avoid overdose).
3. THE MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENT- Shampoo with Ketokonazole, Chlorhexidine and colloidal silver, 2 times a week shower with a period of 10 mins sitting covered in shampoo. I've seen GREAT results after couple of months of usage. Just make sure you rinse really well and dry all crevices thoroughly. Under tail, behind ears, nose rope, between toes etc.
I buy this shampoo from DeKalb animal hospital in Atlanta, itā€™s special bulldog formula, as owner is experienced bulldog doctor. Price is insane, but itā€™s worth it.

I dont think I will ever be able to stop this therapy, as bulldogs are all atopics and often react with skin issues for many allergens. Food, contact, inhalant allergens. Or, hopefully, like guys say, may be with age his immune system will mature and you can discontinue usage of medicated shampoo.
P.S. Donā€™t blame yourself for changing foods. Itā€™s not because youā€™ve changed it. Itā€™s just coincidence, bcs 99 percent of Bulldogs develop allergy between 6 and 12 months old. Almost never it starts earlier. But dry food isnā€™t good for your dog anyway, in my opinion, so consider something ā€œmore aliveā€.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
No, itā€™s highly unlikely that it is tapeworm. It looks very distinct and usually easy to diagnose. This is staph infection. Persisted for more than 1 year on my Tank. Causes are mixed: allergy, weak immune system, atopy. No magic potion for it. Takes long months for hair to grow back.
Despite it is an infection, don't agree any more for antibiotics. It's useless and destroys immune system further. We tried all possible AB, for months. I even tried Convenia, super expensive 1 time in 2 weeks injection. Improvement, but when therapy stops, relapse. After you discontinue, it will come back, because your dogs immune system isn't strong enough to beat staphylococcus, which lives ALWYAS on everybodyā€™s skin, but if immune system is ok, staphylococci never get chance to multiply enough to cause skin problems. But strong immune system and bulldogs...they never happen together.
Now we got it under control, but it took long time and a lot of effort.
1. Feeding home cooked limited ingredient diet (beef, sweet potato, lentils). You can try grain free frozen raw food in case you donā€™t want to cook.
2. Supplements- high quality fish oil with high EPA and DHA content (actually now I give him human grade capsules Nordic Naturals 2 capsules a day and it works well), Nuvet or other vitamins, probiotic, from time to time I give him also human grade Vit A, Vit E and Zync tablets ( these tablets I give not regularly to avoid overdose).
3. THE MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENT- Shampoo with Ketokonazole, Chlorhexidine and colloidal silver, 2 times a week shower with a period of 10 mins sitting covered in shampoo. I've seen GREAT results after couple of months of usage. Just make sure you rinse really well and dry all crevices thoroughly. Under tail, behind ears, nose rope, between toes etc.
I buy this shampoo from DeKalb animal hospital in Atlanta, itā€™s special bulldog formula, as owner is experienced bulldog doctor. Price is insane, but itā€™s worth it.

I dont think I will ever be able to stop this therapy, as bulldogs are all atopics and often react with skin issues for many allergens. Food, contact, inhalant allergens. Or, hopefully, like guys say, may be with age his immune system will mature and you can discontinue usage of medicated shampoo.
P.S. Donā€™t blame yourself for changing foods. Itā€™s not because youā€™ve changed it. Itā€™s just coincidence, bcs 99 percent of Bulldogs develop allergy between 6 and 12 months old. Almost never it starts earlier. But dry food isnā€™t good for your dog anyway, in my opinion, so consider something ā€œmore aliveā€.

You can try buying Curaseb or Ketohex shampoo, and add your own colloidal silver if you choose to. You can buy colloidal silver separately from a health food store, or it's easy enough to make your own with a couple of 1 oz 0.9999 silver bullion pieces, a few pieces of wire with alligator clips on each end, and 3x 9 volt batteries. Step By Step: How To Make Your Own Colloidal Silver | Ready Nutrition

Also, probiotics from best downwards:
1) doggie probiotics like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC
2) green tripe, sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, or kefir
3) active culture plain greek yoghurt such as Kirkland brand from Costco

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I also like to add ground turmeric (with a bit of ground pepper and coconut oil to increase absorption) mixed into the dog food. Start with 1/2 teaspoonful a day and gradually increase to about 1-2 teaspoons per day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

This gang has given great info!!
Implementing these changes should help your baby

Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.