Puppy diet

Chezza65

Apr 23, 2023
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggy
Hi, I have a 6 month bulldog puppy called Biggy
I just can't seem to get his diet right, he goes to the toilet alot, is this normal?
I've tried the raw diet but he didn't like it, so now he's on dry food, but I'm not sure how much he should be having

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi, I have a 6 month bulldog puppy called Biggy
I just can't seem to get his diet right, he goes to the toilet alot, is this normal?
I've tried the raw diet but he didn't like it, so now he's on dry food, but I'm not sure how much he should be having

What food are you feeding him now?? Brand and protein?
Some foods are full of fillers and that can cause them to go more frequently.

How much and how often are you feeding him?

OP
C

Chezza65

Apr 23, 2023
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggy
Welcome to you and Biggy! What kind of food are you feeding now, and how many meals, and how much at a time.?
Need to know.... @Chezza65
Hi, after trying raw, and a couple of other dry foods, hes having wainwright's puppy for sensitive tummies, 2 meals now, around 454 grams in total

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hi, after trying raw, and a couple of other dry foods, hes having wainwright's puppy for sensitive tummies, 2 meals now, around 454 grams in total
So that equals about 2 cups? If so, that sounds pretty normal for a 6 month old puppy. How is his poop? Firm or fairly soft? My 9 month old eats Open Farm with Ancient Grains and eats about 2 cups per day and usually poops twice a day. Her mother who is 3 and eats the same food usually poops 3 times a day.

A couple things to try, adding pure pumpkin to help firm up the poop if it’s soft, adding in a probiotic if you aren’t already, try feeding a little less to see if that helps, changing to a different protein or changing the brand. Finding the right food is like a science project sometimes. What works for one dog, may not work for another.

And if the poop is soft, you can also get a fecal test done to test for parasites.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I think you are feeding way too much. I can't find information on the "puppy for sensitive tummies", but wainwright's normal puppy food recomendation per day is the following:
Medium 12-25kg2-6 months250 - 290g
Medium 12-25kg6-12 months290 - 260g*

It seems as if you might be feeding 50-90% too much.

My recommendation is to see what happens if you cut his food in half. Keep it cut in half for a few days and observe. Then you can bring it up to the recommendation amount and note any changes.

Question: what do you mean by using the toilet too much. Is it only quantity of poop that is the problem, or is it also quality? The stool should be firm, like playdough, especially that has been left out for a little bit. You should be able to visualize drop kicking it without completely destroying your shoe.

OP
C

Chezza65

Apr 23, 2023
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggy
I think you are feeding way too much. I can't find information on the "puppy for sensitive tummies", but wainwright's normal puppy food recomendation per day is the following:
Medium 12-25kg2-6 months250 - 290g
Medium 12-25kg6-12 months290 - 260g*

It seems as if you might be feeding 50-90% too much.

My recommendation is to see what happens if you cut his food in half. Keep it cut in half for a few days and observe. Then you can bring it up to the recommendation amount and note any changes.

Question: what do you mean by using the toilet too much. Is it only quantity of poop that is the problem, or is it also quality? The stool should be firm, like playdough, especially that has been left out for a little bit. You should be able to visualize drop kicking it without completely destroying your shoe.
Hi, thanks for your reply, I will cut his food down and see what happens,
His poop seems to be firm in the morning, but gets softer as the day goes on

OP
C

Chezza65

Apr 23, 2023
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggy
So that equals about 2 cups? If so, that sounds pretty normal for a 6 month old puppy. How is his poop? Firm or fairly soft? My 9 month old eats Open Farm with Ancient Grains and eats about 2 cups per day and usually poops twice a day. Her mother who is 3 and eats the same food usually poops 3 times a day.

A couple things to try, adding pure pumpkin to help firm up the poop if it’s soft, adding in a probiotic if you aren’t already, try feeding a little less to see if that helps, changing to a different protein or changing the brand. Finding the right food is like a science project sometimes. What works for one dog, may not work for another.

And if the poop is soft, you can also get a fecal test done to test for parasites.
Hi thanks for your reply, poop is OK in the morning, but gets softer as day goes on, he poops about 6- 7 times a day
Will deffo try the pumpkin

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi thanks for your reply, poop is OK in the morning, but gets softer as day goes on, he poops about 6- 7 times a day
Will deffo try the pumpkin

If pumpkin doesn’t work, I would recommend trying a good quality probiotic for him. That’s a lot of times for him to potty in 1 day.

I always have a jar of Adored Beast brand, Gut Soothe probiotic in the fridge to have on hand if any of the dogs vomit, soft stool. It clears it up very quick for my dogs.
Its a probiotic blend that has slippery elm, and aloe and marshmallow root and glutamine to help soothe the gut.

Or maybe his food is irritating his gut. Could be just 1 ingredient that could be a issue, just a thought.

Keep us updated, hope he improves

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
In UK you won’t find much of the same kibble as on the western side of the planet. Wainwright's is an ”ok” kibble. You’ll be better off with Acana. What are Wainwright's for sensitive stomach ingredients? As I can’t seem to find it. I only see regular Wainwright kibbles.

Wainwright's👇

Acana👇

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
In UK you won’t find much of the same kibble as on the western side of the planet. Wainwright's is an ”ok” kibble. You’ll be better off with Acana. What are Wainwright's for sensitive stomach ingredients? As I can’t seem to find it. I only see regular Wainwright kibbles.

Wainwright's👇

Acana👇

Acana used to be good, but since they changed their formulas from being bought out, a couple people I know, they found mold in the new formulas 😟
It used to be a premium food, but I don’t recommend them anymore cause the formulas won’t change for the better, especially by Mars!

But it could still be better than Wainwright.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Found mold in the new formulas? When was this?

Yes, Not too long ago, about a couple weeks ago.

Doesn’t surprise me as Mars makes crappy pet food, Acana and Orijen used to be premium, now Mars is making the formulas different and not for the better, yuck!

But mold is gross!!

Last edited:

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Yes, Not too long ago, about a couple weeks ago.

Doesn’t surprise me as Mars makes crappy pet food, Acana and Orijen used to be premium, now Mars is making the formulas different and not for the better, yuck!

But mold is gross!!
There was a photo on amazon, or maybe it was chewy, that showed a bag of orijen covered in white powder mold. That was almost a year ago, though - I have a feeling people are sometimes getting old bags that are coming from resellers

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.