Help Needed! Potty training

Oliverthebully

Aug 15, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Me and my wife recently bought a English bulldog and we've had him for 2 weeks and we can't get him to go outside for potty training we took him out every 2 hours just to get him use to it then moved to three hours and still nothing yet he Constantly keeps using the indoors for his bathroom and won't go outside he'll even poop in his cage even with it having a divider and only enough room to move in a circle and lay down and sleep he's fed properly and loved but it doesn't change he'll even go after being outside for an hour he'll wait to go inside instead of outside and we can't figure out why help please.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Me and my wife recently bought a English bulldog and we've had him for 2 weeks and we can't get him to go outside for potty training we took him out every 2 hours just to get him use to it then moved to three hours and still nothing yet he Constantly keeps using the indoors for his bathroom and won't go outside he'll even poop in his cage even with it having a divider and only enough room to move in a circle and lay down and sleep he's fed properly and loved but it doesn't change he'll even go after being outside for an hour he'll wait to go inside instead of outside and we can't figure out why help please.

Welcome!!!!! First of all, how old is your EB? What time is his last meal n WATER? Do you stand oustde with him for at least 30 mins? My little one is 6 months ans JUST starting to understand he has to hold it till he gets oustde. Trust me ive posted in here about his PIG HEAD. He's a puppy plain n simple. Patience is all it is n needed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Welcome to EBN.

We'll need more info in order to help give the right advice
How are you praising/ rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
People expect so much of puppies. They grow up much faster than children, but when they are babies, they are still BABIES. It takes patience,persistence and comittment,to train pups.

OP
O

Oliverthebully

Aug 15, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Welcome to EBN.

We'll need more info in order to help give the right advice
How are you praising/ rewarding.

He's 17 weeks
30-60 min depending on his mood and what he wants usually it's 45 to an hour but occasionally it's 30 mins when he's in a bad mood
We praise him with good potty Oliver as well as a treat occasionally he doesn't need a treat on every putting but I try to enforce good judgement with a treat when applicable
This morning we went out for an hour he played and rolled in the grass but nothing I came in put him In his cage and took a shower afterwards we went back out and he went to the bathroom .
He's good at going when outdoors but he has an issue with actually understanding what the difference is with indoors and outdoors and I inderstand he's a pup I'm not expecting him to get it right off the bat just with him being my first bulldog I want to follow the proper path and not train him incorrectly and it end with him resenting me or my wife or getting mean etc just need advice on proper technique and execution we love our bulldog and are happy we got him and just want to be good parents

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He's 17 weeks
30-60 min depending on his mood and what he wants usually it's 45 to an hour but occasionally it's 30 mins when he's in a bad mood
We praise him with good potty Oliver as well as a treat occasionally he doesn't need a treat on every putting but I try to enforce good judgement with a treat when applicable
This morning we went out for an hour he played and rolled in the grass but nothing I came in put him In his cage and took a shower afterwards we went back out and he went to the bathroom .
He's good at going when outdoors but he has an issue with actually understanding what the difference is with indoors and outdoors and I inderstand he's a pup I'm not expecting him to get it right off the bat just with him being my first bulldog I want to follow the proper path and not train him incorrectly and it end with him resenting me or my wife or getting mean etc just need advice on proper technique and execution we love our bulldog and are happy we got him and just want to be good parents

You are on a good track... try not playing until he finishes business... this way he knows the difference of potty and play.

OP
O

Oliverthebully

Aug 15, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
How do I keep him from playing around and messing around he constantly wants to eat grass he sniffs a lot but nothing happens.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
What I did with Hank and what I do when I'm away with him is I take him to one spot only and I will stand there until he goes. Now he knows when I stand still, that that's what I'm waiting for. I almost get the stink eye at times because he knows that once he goes he's coming in...But he also knows that he's not out there to play so he might as will just get it over with.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
How do I keep him from playing around and messing around he constantly wants to eat grass he sniffs a lot but nothing happens.

Make sure he's on a leash and stand in one area. If he starts messing around, bring him inside and then back out after 15-20 minutes or so. I have a soon to be 6 month old and he is just now about 90% potty trained. You have to be consistent with taking them out and give lots of praise and treats every time they go. It seems like it will never happen but it eventually does.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

As others suggested... leash him and use a word to signal. I always used 'potty'... and praised like mad when done

Know my guys know when I say potty--- they go to the door and out we go. If they are not going--- i say potty 3times and they know i mean it is business time

3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
Glad to know I'm not alone. Jack has totally got the bladder control down. Josie has none. I literally take her out every 10-15 minutes right now and she pees each time! The minute I hear her whine in her crate at night it's already too late :( both are 12 weeks old and on a strict schedule. It's amazing how 2 dogs can be so different in regards to ability to control things. For now intske her out on a leash and both their acces to anything in the house is limited to xpens / crate unless they are with me on a leash. Praying all this hard work pays off. My hubs is loosing patience �� I do wish she could go 30 minutes though lol

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hang in there - little Oliver will soon learn! Taking him to one place that he (hopefully) associates with going sounds like a good idea, and also to make sure it is a calm environment without too many distractions.

Members online

No members online now.