How do I increase the amount of time between potty breaks?

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
My puppy is 22 weeks old. How do I find out how long he can stay out and about in the house and work to extend that time? I know I'll always have to watch for signs of him needing to go. He is an English Bulldog and is virtually silent. He rarely whines and/or barks.
He's only ever had 2 accidents in the house. My issue is that he's always exploring with his nose to the ground. To me, it looks like he's always looking for a place to potty. I want to increase the time that he's in his crate (for house training purposes) and transition him to a bed vs crate.
Do I literally just leave him out and see how long he can go? The crate has illuminated the opportunity for accidents, but I want to rely on it less now that he's approaching 6 months old.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My puppy is 22 weeks old. How do I find out how long he can stay out and about in the house and work to extend that time? I know I'll always have to watch for signs of him needing to go. He is an English Bulldog and is virtually silent. He rarely whines and/or barks.
He's only ever had 2 accidents in the house. My issue is that he's always exploring with his nose to the ground. To me, it looks like he's always looking for a place to potty. I want to increase the time that he's in his crate (for house training purposes) and transition him to a bed vs crate.
Do I literally just leave him out and see how long he can go? The crate has illuminated the opportunity for accidents, but I want to rely on it less now that he's approaching 6 months old.

He should be able to go 7 hours without needing to potty.

Of course still take him outside after eating, drinking, playing and sleeping.

I think you should try to see how he does without staying in the crate.

When my dog was a puppy, I would put him in his crate when I knew he needed to take a break from play to sleep.

I highly recommend keeping the crate for life though as it will likely always be is safe space and some dogs really like to do in there still.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I have always heard you can crate them an hour per month old. So that would mean four hours if he’s four months old, before having to let him go out to go potty.
In the house is a whole different story. They have to know not to go in the house. I believe they are all different. My Bella pooped in my dining room until she was 8-9 months old 🤦‍♀️
Frankie only had a few accidents in the house and learned to ring a bell I had hung in the back door within a week of being home. He was 11 weeks when we got him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here are some good rules to follow:

go out immediately after waking (nap or morning) and after the end of any play session
out within 20-30 mins after eating
And, they can only hold one hour more than months old, so at 22 weeks.. 7 hours would be the limit, but if having issues, I'd stay at 6 and maybe as Lynn suggested just add 30 minutes and see how he does

Members online

No members online now.