Phlegm

Remi

Jul 29, 2023
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Remi
Hey Everyone ,
I am new to the group . Happy New year .
I have a 4yr old named Remi who recently started have some phlegm issues . I did bring him to the vet and his lungs sounded clear . He did put him on Antibiotics just in case . Seemed to clear it up for the most part . Weeks have gone by and now it’s back . Am and then clears up during day and starts back up at night . It for sure seems more nasal . I have tried allegery medicine but never. Seem to really do anything ….
Any thoughts !!!

Attachments

• 7E0DAA30-0C64-43BB-AC63-C1712D9543AD.jpeg
    7E0DAA30-0C64-43BB-AC63-C1712D9543AD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I think there are two clues here:
1. The antibiotics "seemed to clear it up". That it seemed to go away for a few weeks is significant. It sounds like the antibiotics were helping. We had an infection last year (not lungs) that lasted through 3 (I can't believe I'm writing that number) different rounds of antibiotics.
2. The phlegm goes away during the day but comes back before lights out. Can you explain anything else about your day activity? How does it differ from his night activity? Does the setting change, at all.

Have you called your vet since the symptoms came back? (both of my vets will work with me over the phone or through email, when I've recently been there)

Outside of more antibiotics, you could ask your vet if you can try plain Mucinex (where active ingredient is ONLY guaifenesin) for a week. If your vet is OK with it, they should be able to suggest a mg amount for Remi. But guaifenesin isn't going to solve the cause, it will just help reduce the phlegm - since this is an onset issue and not something he's had his whole life, I think figuring out the cause is important.

Is there anything environmental that you can rule out? Mold, gas or allergens? Are you in a new home, or newish bedding/toys? Could you have any possible dampness issues or broken toilets/drains?

OP
Remi

Remi

Jul 29, 2023
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Remi
I think there are two clues here:
1. The antibiotics "seemed to clear it up". That it seemed to go away for a few weeks is significant. It sounds like the antibiotics were helping. We had an infection last year (not lungs) that lasted through 3 (I can't believe I'm writing that number) different rounds of antibiotics.
2. The phlegm goes away during the day but comes back before lights out. Can you explain anything else about your day activity? How does it differ from his night activity? Does the setting change, at all.

Have you called your vet since the symptoms came back? (both of my vets will work with me over the phone or through email, when I've recently been there)

Outside of more antibiotics, you could ask your vet if you can try plain Mucinex (where active ingredient is ONLY guaifenesin) for a week. If your vet is OK with it, they should be able to suggest a mg amount for Remi. But guaifenesin isn't going to solve the cause, it will just help reduce the phlegm - since this is an onset issue and not something he's had his whole life, I think figuring out the cause is important.

Is there anything environmental that you can rule out? Mold, gas or allergens? Are you in a new home, or newish bedding/toys? Could you have any possible dampness issues or broken toilets/drains?
Thank you for getting back to me . I am going to reach out to my vet today see if we can get another round of Antibiotics . Nothing has changed really in his life . He has been through winters and change of season but never had this issue . Just weird . My vet said maybe it could be is pallet , but this is my second bulldog and I don’t really think that’s it ???
Hate to keep giving anti biotic but maybe another round will be helpful !!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Your cute pup is a little on the heavy side. Extra weight north of 4 years old is taxing to his body. Get him down at least 5 lbs to help him reach his potential in terms of years. Have him evaluated for elongated soft palate. He may benefit greatly from corrective surgery. Many Bulldogs do not show signs of enlarged palate until middle age; as the palate grows and stretches.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Another thing to think of... air fresheners, candles, plugins... all can harm your pet breathing an lungs. if you use any of these things about stopping for a while to see if it helps.

Members online

No members online now.