Congested

Irishkolacki

Oct 8, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
McArthur “Mac”
Hi I have a 4 month old EB puppy Mac , about 3 weeks ago he woke up and sounded like he was congested . I made a vet appt and he was looked over , no fever, lungs were clear, airways clear , my vet said it sounded like a cold gave him antibiotics and off we went . A week later he still sounded the same took him back same thing everything is fine with him . He’s playing eating going potty all the same but he sounds like he needs to cough up whatever is rattling. This time they gave him a shot of antibiotics just in case it was a bacterial infection somewhere . Her I am am 2 weeks later still the same ratting in his throat. Called my breeder she suggested honey and lemon in his water . Honey I am giving but the lemon worries me since everything I read says no ! I also have 2 boxers and I do not at all want to hurt any of them . Anyone have any advice on what my pup has or tips on what I can do to help get rid of this for him . Thank you

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Contrary to what you might have read, lemon can be beneficial for dogs in moderation, particularly for clearing phlegm. Where did you come across information advising against its use?

However, if the phlegm has persisted for a month and through two courses of antibiotics, it's doubtful that lemon alone will resolve the issue. Still, it's worth a try. When I use lemon for clearing phlegm, I open the dog's mouth and squirt a good amount directly into the back of the throat.

To better assess the situation, it would be helpful if you could provide a video of your dog's breathing. If you upload it to YouTube and set it to private, you can share the link here for us to view.

Additionally, it might be worthwhile to reach out to the breeder and have them take a look, in person. They could offer insights based on their experience with the dog's lineage.

With caution I’ll add this advice: Plain mucinex (not DM!) can be cut in half and given to adult dogs that are having heavy phlegm issues. Works very well, BUT 4 months is likely far too young for this. Still, I would bring it up with the vet as well to see if it sparks anything.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
My puppy was the same way when I first got her. My regular vet told me it was just her breed which I argued wasn't normal since I have had other bulldogs and they didn't sound like this. After spending a week at the ER vet with pneumonia it was determined that she needed palate surgery. So I would have his palate checked just to be on the safe side. I was told that these conditions usually don't show until the puppy is 4-5 months old.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the others... a squirt of lemon always did the trick for us with all four of them and get his palate checked

Members online

No members online now.