Need help figuring out what’s wrong with my boy blue!!

Jason983

Apr 25, 2023
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Blue.
Hello all, I’m new here. My name is Jason and I have a 2 and a half year old English bulldog named blue!! Recently blue has had some issue with vomiting and we can’t seem to figure out why and the vet isn’t much help. Blue throws up mostly yellow but sometimes clear bile. This is never with any food it is just bile. Originally I thought it was because he had an empty stomach so I started feeding him smaller meals but more often. Recently he throws up almost everyday about 5-6 hours after eating and it’s all bile. He will drool excessively before vomiting. He has a hiatal hernia that we are addressing at the end of may, does anyone think that could be a cause of this? My vet thinks so. Has anyone dealt with similar issues? Please share your experiences. I just want the best for my boy.

Attachments

• F0EBA45F-36BE-4EF9-BD90-4BFE6B1568C4.jpeg
    F0EBA45F-36BE-4EF9-BD90-4BFE6B1568C4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Yes he was given omeprazole and it did work but I read it wasn’t the best for long term use.
🤷‍♂️ In my opinion, May: isn’t long term and will help improve quality of life.

Continue with the smaller meals more often. Hiatal hernias are miserable

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello all, I’m new here. My name is Jason and I have a 2 and a half year old English bulldog named blue!! Recently blue has had some issue with vomiting and we can’t seem to figure out why and the vet isn’t much help. Blue throws up mostly yellow but sometimes clear bile. This is never with any food it is just bile. Originally I thought it was because he had an empty stomach so I started feeding him smaller meals but more often. Recently he throws up almost everyday about 5-6 hours after eating and it’s all bile. He will drool excessively before vomiting. He has a hiatal hernia that we are addressing at the end of may, does anyone think that could be a cause of this? My vet thinks so. Has anyone dealt with similar issues? Please share your experiences. I just want the best for my boy.

Welcome!

What food are you feeding him?

In my experience, they can do this due to a food allergy, and also because of empty stomach.

My dog would vomit right before breakfast, and in the middle of the night and 5-6 hours after the last meal cause he needed a snack.

I give him breakfast @9am or before, 4pm is dinner, and 10:30 pm is a snack before bed, if it’s any earlier than that he vomits early morning, it’s just bile/foam, sometimes when he is drooling and licking the chops and I quickly feed him, he will vomit after depending on how sick he feels from empty stomach.

All this was literally from being on vet food for 8 week food trail for allergies at 5 months of age, and still at age 4 we still have to give these small meals to maintain cause the damage was already done.

And yes the hernia can cause the vomiting too, but giving this supplement can help!

Also, I always keep a jar of Adored Beast Gut Soothe probiotic cause it’s got gut soothing foods in the probiotics, and it stops any vomiting or digestion issue or upset tummy quick for my dogs.

Even if he just randomly vomits, I highly recommend trying the Adored Beast Brand Gut Soothe. Very helpful!

OP
Jason983

Jason983

Apr 25, 2023
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Blue.
A hiatal hernia can most definitely cause the vomiting! I would continue the smaller frequent meals and Prilosec for the time being until you get back to the vet.
I dealt with a hiatal hernia in one of my frenchies but his vomit almost always 99% of the time consisted of undigested food. You think it could still be related even though this is only bile?

OP
Jason983

Jason983

Apr 25, 2023
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Blue.
Welcome!

What food are you feeding him?

In my experience, they can do this due to a food allergy, and also because of empty stomach.

My dog would vomit right before breakfast, and in the middle of the night and 5-6 hours after the last meal cause he needed a snack.

I give him breakfast @9am or before, 4pm is dinner, and 10:30 pm is a snack before bed, if it’s any earlier than that he vomits early morning, it’s just bile/foam, sometimes when he is drooling and licking the chops and I quickly feed him, he will vomit after depending on how sick he feels from empty stomach.

All this was literally from being on vet food for 8 week food trail for allergies at 5 months of age, and still at age 4 we still have to give these small meals to maintain cause the damage was already done.

And yes the hernia can cause the vomiting too, but giving this supplement can help!

Also, I always keep a jar of Adored Beast Gut Soothe probiotic cause it’s got gut soothing foods in the probiotics, and it stops any vomiting or digestion issue or upset tummy quick for my dogs.

Even if he just randomly vomits, I highly recommend trying the Adored Beast Brand Gut Soothe. Very helpful!
I’m feeding him “Ollie’s” chicken blend and beef blend. We switch back and forth. It’s very similar to farmers dog. I originally thought it was just his empty stomach but as time went on I didn’t think so because, the longest he goes without a meal is the night time and he never seems to throw up in the morning just the afternoon a few hours before dinner. Right now I’m feeding him 3 small meal a day one at 7 am 1pm and 7pm and a little little snack around 11-12. I just ordered the supplement you recommended and hopefully that helps. What I’m worried about is that this could be something bigger that I can’t diagnose until it’s too late. So I’m trying to see what other people experiences are like. Thank you very much for your advice and help.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I’m feeding him “Ollie’s” chicken blend and beef blend. We switch back and forth. It’s very similar to farmers dog. I originally thought it was just his empty stomach but as time went on I didn’t think so because, the longest he goes without a meal is the night time and he never seems to throw up in the morning just the afternoon a few hours before dinner. Right now I’m feeding him 3 small meal a day one at 7 am 1pm and 7pm and a little little snack around 11-12. I just ordered the supplement you recommended and hopefully that helps. What I’m worried about is that this could be something bigger that I can’t diagnose until it’s too late. So I’m trying to see what other people experiences are like. Thank you very much for your advice and help.

How long has he been on Ollie’s food?

Chicken is a very common food allergy, especially in bulldogs.

Sometimes a food allergy shows up with just digestion issues cause they don’t tolerate the allergen(sometimes).

Does he scratch or lick his paws or irritated skin?

Does it happen more when he eats Chicken formula??

That’s good your giving small frequent meals for him.

How is his digestion other than the vomit?

Also, did your vet do Bloodwork??

Hopefully he gets better and the vet figures it out of what the cause is.

Keep us updated

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Also have you had his soft Palate checked??

My French bulldog was vomiting way more often and Also was most of the time bile/foam, he was doing that way more, even with the small frequent meals. His soft palate was causing more vomiting and after the surgery he hasn’t even vomited 1 times every 2 months at the most. Before it was a every day thing even with the food routine.

Does he snore lots, make any breathing noises, get tired easily after play? Choking or coughing/gagging??

Any other symptoms other than vomiting??

OP
Jason983

Jason983

Apr 25, 2023
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Blue.
How long has he been on Ollie’s food?

Chicken is a very common food allergy, especially in bulldogs.

Sometimes a food allergy shows up with just digestion issues cause they don’t tolerate the allergen(sometimes).

Does he scratch or lick his paws or irritated skin?

Does it happen more when he eats Chicken formula??

That’s good your giving small frequent meals for him.

How is his digestion other than the vomit?

Also, did your vet do Bloodwork??

Hopefully he gets better and the vet figures it out of what the cause is.

Keep us updated
He’s been on Ollie’s for a little over a year.

He only really scratches his ear and folds. Doesn’t lick paws unless his nails are too long.

I think it happens the same amount on beef and chicken.

His digestion seems to be good. No runny poops. Every once and a while he has smaller pebbles or harder dryer poops. Once I see this I give him pumpkin pure to help the constipation.

Yes my vet did blood work and says everything came back totally normal. To be honest I was originally worried about kidney disease so I had them run all the blood work they could.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
He’s been on Ollie’s for a little over a year.

He only really scratches his ear and folds. Doesn’t lick paws unless his nails are too long.

I think it happens the same amount on beef and chicken.

His digestion seems to be good. No runny poops. Every once and a while he has smaller pebbles or harder dryer poops. Once I see this I give him pumpkin pure to help the constipation.

Yes my vet did blood work and says everything came back totally normal. To be honest I was originally worried about kidney disease so I had them run all the blood work they could.
Has he always scratched his ears and folds?

That’s great bloodwork is normal.

That’s why I asked about bloodwork cause my other 2 dogs have kidney disease from the low quality food they were on as pups, but they never vomited.

Did the vet check his soft palate?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
First...Welcome to EBN :welcome4:

Here is what PetMD says about Hiatal Hernias: https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_multi_hiatal_hernia

As the article mentions that a worry with vomiting would be an aspiration pneumonia. We started Jewel on plain Pepcid (aka Famotidine) when she had acid reflux and when that didn't work anymore we were on a regimen of Priolosec.

We hope your baby Blue gets better soon.

OP
Jason983

Jason983

Apr 25, 2023
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Blue.
Also have you had his soft Palate checked??

My French bulldog was vomiting way more often and Also was most of the time bile/foam, he was doing that way more, even with the small frequent meals. His soft palate was causing more vomiting and after the surgery he hasn’t even vomited 1 times every 2 months at the most. Before it was a every day thing even with the food routine.

Does he snore lots, make any breathing noises, get tired easily after play? Choking or coughing/gagging??

Any other symptoms other than vomiting??
So I have three frenchies and between them have had 5 soft palette surgeries. Out of any of my dogs Blue my English bulldog shows the least signs of a soft pallet issue. He rarely if ever snores. Never gags unless he’s about to puke. He’s extremely active and pants after a decent amount of play but is able to catch his breathe very quickly. Iv honestly never thought it could be a soft palate issue because he shows almost no signs. My vets have even commented on how well he breathes. One of my frenchies unfortunately passed due to aspirating after his 2nd soft palate surgery. He was only 2 and a half and needed an emergency 2nd surgery. Sorry I thought I posted this earlier.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So I have three frenchies and between them have had 5 soft palette surgeries. Out of any of my dogs Blue my English bulldog shows the least signs of a soft pallet issue. He rarely if ever snores. Never gags unless he’s about to puke. He’s extremely active and pants after a decent amount of play but is able to catch his breathe very quickly. Iv honestly never thought it could be a soft palate issue because he shows almost no signs. My vets have even commented on how well he breathes. One of my frenchies unfortunately passed due to aspirating after his 2nd soft palate surgery. He was only 2 and a half and needed an emergency 2nd surgery. Sorry I thought I posted this earlier.

Wow that’s a lot of palate surgeries!
Did all your frenchies need the surgery?

Sorry to hear about your other Frenchie, that’s terrible and scary!

Did one of your other frenchies need 2 surgeries? How long apart were the surgeries of the ones that needed more than 1 surgery??

That’s great Blue breathes really well. At least you know it’s not a soft palate that’s the issue for Blue.