Monty is home!!!!!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Scary Christmas indeed! Iā€™ve been keeping you in my prayers for continued progress! Wishing you, Monty, and all a Healthy, Happy, and Blessed New Year!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I took Monty to his bully vet today for follow-up and he was quite pleased with him. He is still drooling up a storm, we have towels everywhere, but he is not so phlegmy as he was and just the occasional cough. We are to continue with all his meds and recheck when they are done. All in all, a happy mum after a very scary Christmas!

Great... it is progress and the drool can be that he is still uncomfortable. Have they mentioned doing any follow up xrays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Glad to hear that Monty is doing better. I assume that they have checked inside his mouth(re: drooling) and it is all clear. Hope he continues to improve-and has a good 2020! [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION]

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
I am so late to this conversation but so so glad that Monty is doing better and is home!
Hang in there and keep us posted on his status. So incredibly scary when our babies are not well..

All our love and bully hugs to all of you!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Great start to the New Year!!!

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have a Vet appointment first thing Monday morning for Monty. I am not at all happy about his progress so taking him then instead of next week for his follow up and Xray. The only way he will eat now is if I puree everything. There must be something going on with his mouth or teeth. He loves blueberries and strawberries but spits them out now. He chases them around his mouth for a while then out they come. If there is a lumpy bit in his puree, he spits it out. I have looked the best I can but don't see anything. He is still drooling and coughing. Worried.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
So glad he is home!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have a Vet appointment first thing Monday morning for Monty. I am not at all happy about his progress so taking him then instead of next week for his follow up and Xray. The only way he will eat now is if I puree everything. There must be something going on with his mouth or teeth. He loves blueberries and strawberries but spits them out now. He chases them around his mouth for a while then out they come. If there is a lumpy bit in his puree, he spits it out. I have looked the best I can but don't see anything. He is still drooling and coughing. Worried.

Agreed... sounds like something going on in mouth, maybe a bad tooth or sore somewhere

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I would be interesting what your vet say if thereā€™s anything going in Montyā€™s mouth as since I had Jake, if I give him a berry or a treat, heā€™s rolling it in his mouth forever. If I give him a dry sardines same thing then he spits it out n picks it up and tryā€™s again. Odd..

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I would be interesting what your vet say if thereā€™s anything going in Montyā€™s mouth as since I had Jake, if I give him a berry or a treat, heā€™s rolling it in his mouth forever. If I give him a dry sardines same thing then he spits it out n picks it up and tryā€™s again. Odd..

Maybe he doesn't like the texture?

It's odd because Monty would be like a shark going for his treats, you had to watch your fingers. Not anymore. He is eating since I started pureeing his food but for a couple of days, he hardly ate at all. I was soaking his food anyway per the Emergency Vets instructions but I guess it was still too solid for him. Now I am having to get creative to make it interesting for him as he doesn't want just pureed kibble. So far he likes a spoonful of sardines mixed in or yoghurt. Also canned dog food (Zignature, same as his dry food). A bit of banana is next!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending prayer for Monty and you, as I know how worried you must be! I am worried for you two,too. I know the stress and worry when your baby is sick-and haven't found answers. :pray::pray: [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION]

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, he spent the day at the vets today and we still don't know anything! He had Xrays and a barium meal. All OK. They checked his mouth and everything looks fine. He upchucked foamy bile this morning when he got up and that is the first time since he came home from the ER. He is on antibiotics and anti-nausea meds again. Have to check back in a week. He did not eat his pureed dinner tonight, will try again later with a different combination. I just wish we could figure out what is going on.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well, he spent the day at the vets today and we still don't know anything! He had Xrays and a barium meal. All OK. They checked his mouth and everything looks fine. He upchucked foamy bile this morning when he got up and that is the first time since he came home from the ER. He is on antibiotics and anti-nausea meds again. Have to check back in a week. He did not eat his pureed dinner tonight, will try again later with a different combination. I just wish we could figure out what is going on.

This is really odd. I went back to re-read everything again. Usually bringing back up foam/bile is cause by an empty stomach. Is his stomach acidity balanced? Like did they check reflux gastritis? GI tract becomes irritated by stomach acid. As you know donā€™t forget the plain Greek yogurt since heā€™s on antibiotics n nausea meds which that also causes vomiting.

Dumb question here but have you done something different around the house like new detergents or painting etc....?

BTW... Whatā€™s his kibble again n does by any chance he had Blue Buffalo dental ā€œbonesā€ ?

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
This is really odd. I went back to re-read everything again. Usually bringing back up foam/bile is cause by an empty stomach. Is his stomach acidity balanced? Like did they check reflux gastritis? GI tract becomes irritated by stomach acid. As you know donā€™t forget the plain Greek yogurt since heā€™s on antibiotics n nausea meds which that also causes vomiting.

Dumb question here but have you done something different around the house like new detergents or painting etc....?

BTW... Whatā€™s his kibble again n does by any chance he had Blue Buffalo dental ā€œbonesā€ ?

Will try and answer point by point the best I can!

He threw up again last night, foamy bile, an hour after eating. One of the meds he was on from the emergency hospital was Zantac.

I now feed him 4 small liquid meals a day.

He is not eating his kibble anymore at all. Even liquified, he won't touch it. I am now liquifying canned Zignature (which was also his usual kibble) I add a spoonful of greek yoghurt every day, also a small amount of sardines (for the smell as well) occasionally. An egg added once a day. l try and add something different to every meal to try and tempt him. He only ate half of his meal total this morning. I had to pick it up and re-offer a bit later but half is as far as we got before he absolutely refused.

No new detergents etc and I am very careful about what is used in the house, He doesn't pick up stuff anywhere, sniffs a lot outside but that is it.

The treats he used to have were grain-free peanut butter but lately just fruit. The ER vets said soft food only so as not to aggravate his oesophagus. He now refuses all fruit and he loved blueberries. His only "treat" now is is a dab of cream cheese as its good for hiding pills. He has never had dental bones or anything at all like it.

The vet did mention that he maybe had a seizure? I have never seen anything remotely like that but of course, it could have happened in the night.

I have to call the vet again tomorrow for a follow-up.

Members online

No members online now.