Should I worry about this much sleep?….

Mdaniel1984

Apr 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Hi everyone

Quick question, trying to see if this normal behavior or something I should be concerned about our boy is 1.5 years old

This past Saturday we went out and had a HORRIBLE outing with our boy…. It got WAY to hot to a point we thought we were going to have to make a emergency run to the vet because of his breathing…. (Weather changed when we arrived or we would have never went) we tried to keep him cool with tons of water but ultimately just ended our day/short came home

Long story short…. He’s eating, drinking, playing, chewing on his bones acting normal ….

But he’s so tired that most of the time/day he’s sleeping Sun, Mon, Tue and today. Granted he will come to us to play or I’ll call him to play and he will… other than that he’s normal wanting to go outside to potty… should I be concerned with this or is this just trying to get his body/energy back to normal because of the heat issues…

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like he is acting pretty normal. He's eating,playing and responding to you. Heat does wear you out.Bullies can't take the heat! It's good that you went home! He's also getting more out of the puppy stage of less sleeping, and most bullies do sleep a lot. If you notice anything unusual, not responding, heavy panting, things not normal for him-then a vet visit!

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear about your recent outing. It certainly sounds like the poor guy has suffered from heat exhaustion. Recovery can take a bit of time, and it's great that he's resting so much - that's crucial for his recuperation.

Given the severity of the situation, it IS a good idea to touch base with your vet. Heatstroke may have already occurred during the heat episode, and while your boy seems to be doing alright now, complications can potentially surface later. Your vet is the best person to guide you on what to keep an eye out for moving forward.

As for prevention, it's wise to take a quick glance at the weather forecast before you both head out, regardless of how long you plan to be out. Heat and humidity can be extremely dangerous. Carrying along a cooler with ice water, cold wraps, and a portable fan can be a real game-changer in general. And remember, it's not worth the risk to stay outside in the heat for more than a few minutes - return to the A/C in the car, in the future, if you want to wait the heat out.

Here's to a swift recovery for your boy. Please keep us posted on how he's doing?

OP
Mdaniel1984

Mdaniel1984

Apr 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Sounds like he is acting pretty normal. He's eating,playing and responding to you. Heat does wear you out.Bullies can't take the heat! It's good that you went home! He's also getting more out of the puppy stage of less sleeping, and most bullies do sleep a lot. If you notice anything unusual, not responding, heavy panting, things not normal for him-then a vet visit!
So the “extra” sleep since Saturday is normal…. The amount of heat wearing him down and recharge himself?…

OP
Mdaniel1984

Mdaniel1984

Apr 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear about your recent outing. It certainly sounds like the poor guy has suffered from heat exhaustion. Recovery can take a bit of time, and it's great that he's resting so much - that's crucial for his recuperation.

Given the severity of the situation, it IS a good idea to touch base with your vet. Heatstroke may have already occurred during the heat episode, and while your boy seems to be doing alright now, complications can potentially surface later. Your vet is the best person to guide you on what to keep an eye out for moving forward.

As for prevention, it's wise to take a quick glance at the weather forecast before you both head out, regardless of how long you plan to be out. Heat and humidity can be extremely dangerous. Carrying along a cooler with ice water, cold wraps, and a portable fan can be a real game-changer in general. And remember, it's not worth the risk to stay outside in the heat for more than a few minutes - return to the A/C in the car, in the future, if you want to wait the heat out.

Here's to a swift recovery for your boy. Please keep us posted on how he's doing?
The plan is to monitor him over the next week… if he’s still on this sleep track by next Wednesday July 5 I’ll schedule something… I actually called and they said right off the bay they do Blood and X-rays which would start at $400… I just don’t want to go then they they cannot find anything and just say “He’s tired”

If he was actually acting weird and not doing what he’s doing sure… but a part of me believes he’s just so worn out that he needs days to recover and come down

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
The plan is to monitor him over the next week… if he’s still on this sleep track by next Wednesday July 5 I’ll schedule something… I actually called and they said right off the bay they do Blood and X-rays which would start at $400… I just don’t want to go then they they cannot find anything and just say “He’s tired”

If he was actually acting weird and not doing what he’s doing sure… but a part of me believes he’s just so worn out that he needs days to recover and come down
It's too bad they wanted to diagnose and charge rather than talk with you about signs to look for...

If he's just been acting tired, I wouldn't worry too much. Be on the lookout for things out of the ordinary like excessive drooling, confusion, shortness of breath, diarrhea, etc

OP
Mdaniel1984

Mdaniel1984

Apr 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
It's too bad they wanted to diagnose and charge rather than talk with you about signs to look for...

If he's just been acting tired, I wouldn't worry too much. Be on the lookout for things out of the ordinary like excessive drooling, confusion, shortness of breath, diarrhea, etc

I was shocked to it was auto money for them not even let’s see him first

Yeah, none of those issues so far
Drooling - Normal
Confusion - Normal
Shortness of Breath - Normal running all over tug of war etc
Diarrhea - All formed
Puke - 1 time but that’s because I wanted to know what was in his mouth and he tried to gobble it down before I can see

He’s just extra sleepy, wants to do everything, eat everything, bark chew bones, jump on us to wrestle

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Agree with the above. Our Cooper cannot take the heat and I am glad we do not live in Texas right now with the heat indices over 110 F. Our Cooper sleeps most of the day except to go potty and play. We walk in the early morning before the real heat of the day kicks in and we always carry water on walks. Bullies sweat through their paws and pant to cool off.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep -- he probably did need time to recover from the day out, but once the summer heat kicks in, they will mostly sleep. Adults dogs will tend to sleep about 16-18 hours a day.. not uncommon, but as you are doing and others recommended... keep an eye on him for uncommon/not normal behavior. My two, when it is hot.. don't even want to be outside, they will potty and walk right back to the door to go in

OP
Mdaniel1984

Mdaniel1984

Apr 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Yep -- he probably did need time to recover from the day out, but once the summer heat kicks in, they will mostly sleep. Adults dogs will tend to sleep about 16-18 hours a day.. not uncommon, but as you are doing and others recommended... keep an eye on him for uncommon/not normal behavior. My two, when it is hot.. don't even want to be outside, they will potty and walk right back to the door to go in

Thank you for your reply

Update on him since my post

Going good as normal
- Eating
- Drinking
- Playing
- Running
- Barking
- Happy to go for walk (Early/Late in Day)
- Poop and Pee (No Diarrhea)
- Eating his bones

The odd
- Naps more then before, the weather here in lower east Michigan has been Muggy and out right horrible including the wild fires from Canada. But when I want him or say “Who’s that” he jumps right up and goes.
- Slower eating then before (though today when he got up he was all in it very quick he use to)
- Water seems like he’s not drinking as much he would finish a bowl within a day, now he’s maybe down a 1/2 bowl. Idk if that’s from just sleeping more and your not thinking of drinking

I reached out to my vet.. they didn’t even want to look at him as a walk in, they rather run a battery of test which flat out said “$40” to start”

He’s 1.5 years old I understand EBs sleep a town just odd/off every is alright just extra tired… 🤷🏻‍♂️

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for your reply

Update on him since my post

Going good as normal
- Eating
- Drinking
- Playing
- Running
- Barking
- Happy to go for walk (Early/Late in Day)
- Poop and Pee (No Diarrhea)
- Eating his bones

The odd
- Naps more then before, the weather here in lower east Michigan has been Muggy and out right horrible including the wild fires from Canada. But when I want him or say “Who’s that” he jumps right up and goes.
- Slower eating then before (though today when he got up he was all in it very quick he use to)
- Water seems like he’s not drinking as much he would finish a bowl within a day, now he’s maybe down a 1/2 bowl. Idk if that’s from just sleeping more and your not thinking of drinking

I reached out to my vet.. they didn’t even want to look at him as a walk in, they rather run a battery of test which flat out said “$40” to start”

He’s 1.5 years old I understand EBs sleep a town just odd/off every is alright just extra tired… 🤷🏻‍♂️
Smoke… LOTS of people complaining of being overly tired/exhausted.

Members online

No members online now.