sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Aha!! I did ask if something was stuck in her throat!!! Which of course you wouldnā€™t necessarily be able to tell. Hopefully thatā€™s all it was and everything goes back to normal now.

Rotating protein means switch flavors/meat source. For example, Louie rotates between salmon, duck, pork, kangaroo and goat. I get 4 lb bags as he only eats kibble in the am and I have read that kibble starts to oxidize after 2 weeks so when he finishes a bag, he gets a different flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure did! I had to look back to see who said that......it has been such a roller coaster and I have been literally beside myself with worry for Joey. She has always been so healthy. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I am going to research a few food options and will post what I come up with for opinions, if that's OK. I really value the opinions of you and other members that ALWAYS help me!

One thing I do know....NO MORE FURRY TOYS for Joey......

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You sure did! I had to look back to see who said that......it has been such a roller coaster and I have been literally beside myself with worry for Joey. She has always been so healthy. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I am going to research a few food options and will post what I come up with for opinions, if that's OK. I really value the opinions of you and other members that ALWAYS help me!

One thing I do know....NO MORE FURRY TOYS for Joey......

We can't have stuffy toys around because of Louie. He rips them apart and eats them and then I would be on poop watch and see eyeballs and ears and arms and legs come out. It's not worth the stress. We do have a few stuffy toys that are for Jax only that he gets to play with when Louie is not around.

These guys really know how to make us worry!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
LOL WORRY does not even come close describing what we go through HAHAHAHA

Joey is still have some smelly burps but......with the way she is resting right now I'm hoping just residual.......

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] Thank you so much for the information! I will be exploring new diet for Joey!
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Helene! GREAT information on the fats, I know so little about nutrition, so confusing and I so want to do whatā€™s best for Joey. Yes that is her food BUT she eats the GRAIN FREE all life stages. Thoughts please?

Hereā€™s the ingredients

Ingredients:
Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Field Peas, Chickpeas, Potatoes, Chicken Fat, (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Egg Product, Sweet Potatoes, Dried Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Whitefish Meal, Flaxseed Meal, Fish Oil, Yeast Culture, Sunflower Lecithin, Carrots, Salt, Celery, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Fructooligosaccharide, Yeast Extract, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Dicalcium Phosphate, Cranberries, Blueberries, Taurine, Beets, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Parsley, Lettuce, Iron Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Proteinate, Inositol, Watercress, Spinach, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus reuteri Fermentation Product.

Contains a source of viable, naturally-occurring microorganisms.

CALORIE CONTENT (calculated): Metabolizable Energy (ME) = 3,884 kcal/kg, 501 kcal/cup.

2 different yeast plus thereā€™s dry tomatoes. Just there those 3 isnā€™t good for dogs. Tomatoes are acidic.
Natural Flavor means itā€™s a preservative. Being in the food industry I can tell you even in human food, anything that says ā€œNatutal Flavourā€ means there is an ingredient/chemical/extract that will preserve the product. Example on cold cuts, this nice pinky colour is a chemical thatā€™s added for the meat to look fresh. The word ā€œextractā€ means mostly nitrites.

Then thereā€™s Choline Chloride is basically salt n alcohol. Thereā€™s turkey, chicken, whitefish n flax ā€œmealā€ meal = 300x the protein of the real fresh meat. Thatā€™s high in protein. Not the same if you eat the meat on itā€™s own. You will find meal in all bags but in this case itā€™s all the meats are meal even the flax which that I find odd for flax.

So my thoughts, I personally would change baby girlā€™s food.

Any chunks missing from her toys?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] THANK YOU Helene!

No chunks missing from toys BUT I would get her these dollar store toys that she loves to "suckle" and lick, they are furry and she's been having them for EVER. So....no more of those, thinking that something....hair....something was fermenting in her gut. She STILL has the rancid gas smell emitting from her gut, up through her mouth.....HEALING still ??? Only vomited once and resting quietly now and got a good night sleep. Still on SMALL feedings of boiled chicken and rice per the Vet.

So many things whirling around in my head right now it's hard to know where to begin with her food....except to first get her feeling 100% better (stay on bland diet ???) and slowly change her food.....so confusing for me....

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] THANK YOU Helene!

No chunks missing from toys BUT I would get her these dollar store toys that she loves to "suckle" and lick, they are furry and she's been having them for EVER. So....no more of those, thinking that something....hair....something was fermenting in her gut. She STILL has the rancid gas smell emitting from her gut, up through her mouth.....HEALING still ??? Only vomited once and resting quietly now and got a good night sleep. Still on SMALL feedings of boiled chicken and rice per the Vet.

So many things whirling around in my head right now it's hard to know where to begin with her food....except to first get her feeling 100% better (stay on bland diet ???) and slowly change her food.....so confusing for me....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@helsonwheels THANK YOU Helene!

Holy cow!!! furball from a bulldog.... that is a first! an x-ray might be a good idea to see if she has anything still stuck in her, maybe a barium x-ray to show the 'fur/stuffing'? Since you are not 100% sure what this is from, there is no real way to know it is all out? how is her poo during all this... still fine?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Holy cow!!! furball from a bulldog.... that is a first! an x-ray might be a good idea to see if she has anything still stuck in her, maybe a barium x-ray to show the 'fur/stuffing'? Since you are not 100% sure what this is from, there is no real way to know it is all out? how is her poo during all this... still fine?

Thanks! I have a call into the vet...again :) Her poop was normal until the pepcid and bland diet. Now just semi-formed and sticky looking, with rice bits. She's sleeping very well now and seems much more comfortable since puking yesterday. I did stop the pepcid.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

I was thinking this too, in case there is still something down there.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I have a call into the vet...again :) Her poop was normal until the pepcid and bland diet. Now just semi-formed and sticky looking, with rice bits. She's sleeping very well now and seems much more comfortable since puking yesterday. I did stop the pepcid.

As always...keep us posted!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
No chunks missing is good... be careful when buying dog toys at the dollar store. China does use a lot of chemicals in their colors. Try to find made in US or Canada toys.. I know itā€™s hard. Btw, colour red is the worst one.

Been 3days now... and sheā€™s not really improving on her bland diet. This gas smell emitting from her gut, did you check her teeth n gums as maybe the smell comes from the mouth?!?!. I sure wouldnā€™t wait more than 5days if sheā€™s not improving. If it gets worse, Iā€™m sure you know, go immediately to the vet...and yes get that X-ray done...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
OH NOOOO...That was my 3rd question!!!!
"Anything around that she may have gotten into or foreign object she may have been chewing and swallowed?"

So glad that we're now on to something...
2BullyMama is right to suggest an X-ray with barium contrast.
A blockage can be very serious, not to mention very painful.

You never know. Something could have blown into the yard like what happened to my Dozer. Pink insulation ended up in my yard after a hurricane. He must have thought it was cotton candy. :)
Anyway he got really sick and we had to have our Vet go in and retrieve it. Once it was all out he recovered rapidly.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
No chunks missing is good... be careful when buying dog toys at the dollar store. China does use a lot of chemicals in their colors. Try to find made in US or Canada toys.. I know itā€™s hard. Btw, colour red is the worst one.

Been 3days now... and sheā€™s not really improving on her bland diet. This gas smell emitting from her gut, did you check her teeth n gums as maybe the smell comes from the mouth?!?!. I sure wouldnā€™t wait more than 5days if sheā€™s not improving. If it gets worse, Iā€™m sure you know, go immediately to the vet...and yes get that X-ray done...

Thanks Helene, those toys are OUTLAWED in this house now, I will find an alternative for her or make them myself :) I did check her gums teeth etc., ran my fingers in roof of mouth, etc. nothing. If she is actively air licking then you can smell the bad smell. When she's normal, resting, you cannot.

She def has improved alot since puking. I just got off of the phone with the vet, we were talking for about 20 minutes and she was asking me a TON of questions. She agreed no more pepcid and bland diet throughout the weekend. She feels that what ever was "fermenting" in her gut ie hair, fur from toy, etc. has really irritated stomach, esophogus, etc. and some healing needs to take place. But said to call her over the weekend if Joey show ANY signs of distress, etc.

She totally is resting better, like normal, so way improved. Today better than yesterday and hopefully tomorrow better than today :)

As I take her off of this bland diet should I introduce a new diet ???

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'd keep things simple for now and go with what worked well for 3.5 years.

Fuzzy puke eh...you sure she didn't eat a RAT?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I'd keep things simple for now and go with what worked well for 3.5 years.

Fuzzy puke eh...you sure she didn't eat a RAT?

LOL no missing RATS around here hahahahaha! Thank you Chip!!! That's what I will do.....keep it simple......

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
OH NOOOO...That was my 3rd question!!!!
"Anything around that she may have gotten into or foreign object she may have been chewing and swallowed?"

So glad that we're now on to something...
2BullyMama is right to suggest an X-ray with barium contrast.
A blockage can be very serious, not to mention very painful.

You never know. Something could have blown into the yard like what happened to my Dozer. Pink insulation ended up in my yard after a hurricane. He must have thought it was cotton candy. :)
Anyway he got really sick and we had to have our Vet go in and retrieve it. Once it was all out he recovered rapidly.

LOL THIRD QUESTION indeed!! I never DREAMED it could be fur from licking her toys but I believe that is what it was.

Doc wants bland diet through weekend, does not want to put Joey through invasive testing unless absolutely necessary. She thinks that her gut needs time to heal and if I need her over the weekend to call. Oh and agreed, stop Pepcid which I did yesterday.

I told her that Joey leaves with me for a (10) day trip on Sunday, going to our corporate office for a visit then to brother's for Thanksgiving, she LOVES this trip, we go there often. Vet said that she is sure everything will be fine. So....it better be :)

Members online