HELP PLEASE - Tummy Troubles???

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
About Tums, Zantac or any form of these acids, some will roll their eyes but thatā€™s ok....them tablets are a multi billion dollar market. These products will NEVER cure the issue. Itā€™s temporary but guarantee the problem comes back. Government, Doctors, Vets will never take it off the market just like aspartame as wayyyy too much of a money maker n yet deadly. To avoid any stomach or digestive issues is simply stop eating bad carbs, grains, processed food, lunch meat, out of a box or can food...etc etc... use fresh food n good fats only. Example, people will say I canā€™t eat hot peppers, Mexicans have the lowest stomach n intestine issues on the planet n they sure eat hot. When you eat fresh n homemade, you wonā€™t get stomach or heartburns. Do some research, why is it these issues are mostly on our Western side and barely in Europe? (Aside from UK). Itā€™s what you eat just like what you feed your dog. Many manyyyyy years ago I use to pop Tums like candies till this old doctor from the old school said, STOP taking that as itā€™s addictive n youā€™ll be taking them everyday. The guy was right...took about 3 days to get over them, changed my diet and the heartburn went away on its own. I use to have tums in my car, my purse, house...crap they were everywhere loll.. Why as you probably all noticed I push for essential oils, eat homemade, fresh veggies etc...cause as a teen I learned the heard way..Mediterranean Dietis the way to go... Ok thatā€™s my 2 cents worth on Tums or any other tablets like so.

Here's a few examples of where these tablets can be important:
1) Patients with perforated ulcers who are on nexium, prilosec or similar tablets twice daily for the rest of their lives.
2) Other patients with a large hiatus hernia taking nexium to prevent acid from splashing up and causing esophageal cancer who don't want to get the surgery.
3)Patients on dialysis or chronic kidney failure taking calcium tablets like Tums to bind up phosphorus from their diet.
4) Patients with their colon removed and have high output ileostomies taking sodium bicarbonate tablets to prevent kidney stones.

I don't think switching diet will help those people.

If Joey has gastroesophageal reflux then the famotidine will help reduce acid from splashing up, so may help in the short term along with changing to the bland diet. It wouldn't hurt to take Joey to vet if it persists to rule out hiatus hernia, gall bladder, pancreatitis etc.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Here's a few examples of where these tablets can be important:
1) Patients with perforated ulcers who are on nexium, prilosec or similar tablets twice daily for the rest of their lives.
2) Other patients with a large hiatus hernia taking nexium to prevent acid from splashing up and causing esophageal cancer who don't want to get the surgery.
3)Patients on dialysis or chronic kidney failure taking calcium tablets like Tums to bind up phosphorus from their diet.
4) Patients with their colon removed and have high output ileostomies taking sodium bicarbonate tablets to prevent kidney stones.

I don't think switching diet will help those people.

If Joey has gastroesophageal reflux then the famotidine will help reduce acid from splashing up, so may help in the short term along with changing to the bland diet. It wouldn't hurt to take Joey to vet if it persists to rule out hiatus hernia, gall bladder, pancreatitis etc.

I understand and respect as youā€™re both in pharmaceutical. In my eyes if we humans from the start ate wholesome would be avoiding a lot of the # 1-4... and of course cancer is another story....again thatā€™s my 2cents...

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with Chip...

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Iā€™m thinking see what happens tonight/tomorrow and if no improvement then go forward with bland diet. If that doesnā€™t get things sorted then a Vet visit is advised. Tomorrow AM would be a good time to make an appointment. If you end up not needing it thatā€™s a really good thing.

Well Joey had 3 episodes over night, poor thing was exhausted this morning (me too...but that's my job)

Refused breakfast this morning, did have a few mini Zuke's treats. I was hoping no episode this morning but she just started the air licking. Calling Vet now. I will stay in touch.

Thank you again!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Yep, it's time...Joey's issues are escalating quickly. Please keep us posted.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks to ALL OF YOU!!!! I am waiting for the vet to call me back.

I will be back in touch.....you are all such BLESSINGS to Joey and I.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yes...keep us posted! Hugs to you and Joey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Fermented fish stock....I know itā€™s fantastic but just the thought loll

You know...I actually donā€™t mind serving it and the boys LOVE it! Tripe smells way worse to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BullyGiGi

Jul 13, 2018
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba J
Try pepcid AC regular strength 10mg tabs once a day. Recommended by Med Vet in Hilliard, Ohio. Our Bully has no issues since we started that and changed him Hills Science Diet for sensitive stomachs. I place the pepcid in a ball of velveeta as this is the easiest to administer.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
UPDATE

Just finished speaking with the vet. She said based on her symptoms and especially the rancid smell with the air licking she believes that it is acid reflux. Pepcid 20mg twice per day for the next 3 days, bland diet of rice and boiled chicken today and tomorrow then begin re-introducing her regular food. Sounds like your first instinct was correct [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Chip!

Of interest.......when an episode wakes Joey from sleep she immediately repositions herself from lying down to sitting up. Which the vet says also the stomach/even intestinal acids will more easily flow into esophagus and into mouth when lying down so that's why she immediately sits up.

Again.......THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Get well soon, Joey!...you too, Mom. I know this is stressing you a bit.
Hoping this diagnosis is on point and road to recovery is short and straight

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Get well soon, Joey!...you too, Mom. I know this is stressing you a bit.
Hoping this diagnosis is on point and road to recovery is short and straight

LOL.....you can tell I'm stressed a bit huh? YOU GOT THAT RIGHT :) Whew........praying as well that diagnosis is on point and sticks :)

Thank you again very much!!! I will let you know she is progressing :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
LOL.....you can tell I'm stressed a bit huh? YOU GOT THAT RIGHT :) Whew........praying as well that diagnosis is on point and sticks :)

Thank you again very much!!! I will let you know she is progressing :)

Glad that vet thinks its just acid reflux !! What was Joey eating? Food allergies can contribute to this. Once Joey is doing better on the bland diet you can try switching to a commercial product. I would try to give smaller more frequent meals that are lower in fat and protein- maybe a dehydrated raw such as Honest Kitchen, Sojos, EasyRaw?

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.