Help! Constipation!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I changed foods to Natures Logic about two months ago and since then Buster's poo has been pretty firm. Lately it is way beyond firm and he is straining. I have been giving him pumpkin, but it doesn't help. I am going to switch foods again as I really believe it is the food. In the meantime, what can I give him to help? Any suggestions?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If the pumpkin isn't working. how much pumpkin are you giving him? Maybe up the amount of that?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If already switched then you needn't try this. If still feeding NL then consider adding water to the food about an hour prior to offering. Hot water will be absorbed and soften the food quicker than cold water. This may be just enough to sort thing out.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Agree with the above...increase pumpkin depending on how much you are already giving and try adding water to the food if you have not already done a food change. Exercise can also help get things "moving."

Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you!
Sorry to say we have tried all of the above except the exercise. We have upped the pumpkin to about a third+ of a can and no change. We also add plenty of water, enough that his food is swimming in it! We have been adding more green beans as a topper hoping that will help plus he always gets Kefir as a probiotic every day too. Exercise unfortunately is problematic as he is so arthritic it is difficult to even get him down the driveway. He just refuses to go!
I am sorry to sound so negative about the suggestions but we have tried those, honestly. Apart from straining, he seems fine! He still eats like a horse as he has always done, he has never met a meal he doesn't like!
Any suggestions fo a supplement of some sort? Thanks

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you!
Sorry to say we have tried all of the above except the exercise. We have upped the pumpkin to about a third+ of a can and no change. We also add plenty of water, enough that his food is swimming in it! We have been adding more green beans as a topper hoping that will help plus he always gets Kefir as a probiotic every day too. Exercise unfortunately is problematic as he is so arthritic it is difficult to even get him down the driveway. He just refuses to go!
I am sorry to sound so negative about the suggestions but we have tried those, honestly. Apart from straining, he seems fine! He still eats like a horse as he has always done, he has never met a meal he doesn't like!
Any suggestions fo a supplement of some sort? Thanks
Well ugh that you have already tried everything...that sure sucks! If it were me, I would probably change his food over ASAP if this was never an issue before the change. What about a bland diet for a few days?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was coming to ay the same thing as Citty -- the food might not agree with him and you need to go back to previous food, if an option or at least change the proteins to see if that helps. Poor fella...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Being that he is Arthritic, he may not get enough exercise to keep things moving.If your pretty sure that he doesn't have a blockage, you could buy on of those human toss away enemas and use it for him. If he likes carrots, you could give him one to chew like a bone. You could put some Mira-lax (or generic) in his food. Hope this helps.Poor fella. @1Chumly

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If Iā€™m not mistaken you were feeding him a regular kibble n now almost a dry raw, yes you'll have the crumble style stool which is normal. Like Chip said up the water n add raw liver as a topper or fermented veggie. It will loosen up the stool.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Being that he is Arthritic, he may not get enough exercise to keep things moving.If your pretty sure that he doesn't have a blockage, you could buy on of those human toss away enemas and use it for him. If he likes carrots, you could give him one to chew like a bone. You could put some Mira-lax (or generic) in his food. Hope this helps.Poor fella. @1Chumly
I am confident he doesn't have a blockage, thank goodness. He strains a long time, passes a few 'nuggets', walks around a bit and tries again. The second bout is usually a bit softer and if he tries for a 3rd time, fairly normal. I will try the Mira Lax and a different food. I changed originally from Zignature to the Natures Logic as he was getting very gassy, even with their different proteins. I just don't think the NL agrees with him.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
If Iā€™m not mistaken you were feeding him a regular kibble n now almost a dry raw, yes you'll have the crumble style stool which is normal. Like Chip said up the water n add raw liver as a topper or fermented veggie. It will loosen up the stool.
Thanks, Helene. He has loads of water in his food. It is literally floating. I think that food just does not agree with him. He had been on Zignature since we got him but was getting very gassy even though I tried different proteins. I decide a change was in order but it seems not this one! I tried the Natures Logic after reading the reviews and recommendations but as we all know, not all foods suit all dogs, so the hunt is on again!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama @benny there was a member a couple weeks ago on this new dry raw. Started with ā€œUNā€¦..ā€ I saved it n my bookmark didnā€™t bookmark lolll Not keen on IPadā€¼ļø

you recall the name?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama @benny there was a member a couple weeks ago on this new dry raw. Started with ā€œUNā€¦..ā€ I saved it n my bookmark didnā€™t bookmark lolll Not keen on IPadā€¼ļø

you recall the name?
Unkibble?? If I recall correctly, itā€™s not raw though but ā€œfreshā€ but I donā€™t know much about it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Unkibble?? If I recall correctly, itā€™s not raw though but ā€œfreshā€ but I donā€™t know much about it.
Of course simple name and I forgot chit lolll

now Iā€™ll go check my remarks on itā€¦be back

Edit button šŸ‘ Found my notes n links.

So itā€™s human grade food but dry. They have chicken and brown rice, beef and barley, and duck and salmon. And I would stick to duck and salmon. The DoDo did test dogs n hereā€™s their resultsā€¦.

@Kfam you might want to check this out too šŸ™‚

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.