Grand pup sitter

sophiebell

Aug 2, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
sophiebell
Hello I am the official puppy sitter for my grand pup LuLu. She will be 12 weeks old tomorrow and belongs to my single adult son. He works from 7:30 to 5:30 so have been watching lulu since he got her 1 week ago. I do not want to keep her for a long time because I just retired and have things I want to do. We are working on crate and potty training. She can't stay in a crate for the entire day when she starts staying at home, so she will need to transition to a small room with her crate in it for her to go in and out of. I am not sure how or when to try to get her ready for this. I would appreciate any suggestions!! Thank you and looking forward to discussions!

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Congratulations, on your granpupper.
I'm a relatively new bully owner myself, still struggling with potty issues, but I'm sure you'll be hearing from some other veterans who I've found to be a wealth of knowledge.

I have a gran-daschund.

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hello I am the official puppy sitter for my grand pup LuLu. She will be 12 weeks old tomorrow and belongs to my single adult son. He works from 7:30 to 5:30 so have been watching lulu since he got her 1 week ago. I do not want to keep her for a long time because I just retired and have things I want to do. We are working on crate and potty training. She can't stay in a crate for the entire day when she starts staying at home, so she will need to transition to a small room with her crate in it for her to go in and out of. I am not sure how or when to try to get her ready for this. I would appreciate any suggestions!! Thank you and looking forward to discussions!

Hello and welcome! My girlfriend and I are new bully owners, we got Moose just over 4 weeks ago, he is 16 weeks now. I'm sure some of the others that have much more experience can provide some advice, but here is what we've done so far. Repetition is key and for the first couple of weeks you literally have to follow LuLu around everywhere she goes in the house. Leave a few pads lying around and anytime you see her getting ready to pee or poop be sure to bring her to the area you want her to go. If you are taking her outside, I would take her out every hour she is awake, right after a nap, right after playtime, and right after eating. We started with indoors for our bully as it was too cold and now have transitioned to the outside. We haven't had any accidents indoors for just about two weeks (knock on wood). Hope that helps a little.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome: to EBN

Schedule is the key.... as a puppy they can only hold their bladder for one hour more than they are months old. Poo -- out within 20-30 mins of eating, immediately at the end of any play session. and, for either, they should go out immediately upon waking from a nap or sleeping the night.

crazycanuck

Mar 3, 2015
WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Congrats to your son and to you for doing the important early training; I am just curious what happens when you can't be with her during the day? EBD don't do well when left alone and as puppies if left alone can develop some bad habits out of sheer boredom. We have our neighbor who is also retired come pick Bentley up during the day and he keeps her company visa versa. He is only alone for about 2 hours a day in early morning

OP
S

sophiebell

Aug 2, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
sophiebell
Hello and welcome! My girlfriend and I are new bully owners, we got Moose just over 4 weeks ago, he is 16 weeks now. I'm sure some of the others that have much more experience can provide some advice, but here is what we've done so far. Repetition is key and for the first couple of weeks you literally have to follow LuLu around everywhere she goes in the house. Leave a few pads lying around and anytime you see her getting ready to pee or poop be sure to bring her to the area you want her to go. If you are taking her outside, I would take her out every hour she is awake, right after a nap, right after playtime, and right after eating. We started with indoors for our bully as it was too cold and now have transitioned to the outside. We haven't had any accidents indoors for just about two weeks (knock on wood). Hope that helps a little.[/QUOTE]

so do you feel that it interfered with her going outside by using the puppy pads? She is doing good about going outside but of course I'm watching her every minute. But like I said things may come up that I need to be gone longer than what she should be in a crate and I don't want to ruin the progress that she has made by using puppy pads occasionally.

OP
S

sophiebell

Aug 2, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
sophiebell
We have had Bulldogs before and left them in the laundry room with a baby gate. They were always fine but they were about six months before we did that. I just don't want to interfere with the house training by using puppy pads occasionally and then wanting her to go outside when I am here. She doesn't use puppy pads at my sons house

OP
S

sophiebell

Aug 2, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
sophiebell
Do you feel that using puppy pads and then changing to going outside confused your puppy? I don't want to hinder the progress she has made. But if I need to go somewhere that requires me to be gone longer than she can be in a crate I will need to use something. My son doesn't use puppy pads at his house, she goes outside.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm kind of an oddball here about puppy pads...... I'm ALLLLLLLLLL for them and with each of my dogs (except this Hank of mine doesn't use) they have been a life saver. Had no issues with them wanting or preferring to go outside, BUT the pad would be there so they don't have to suffer if I don't make it home in time. And for traveling!! well, they're a life saver. In a motel, you just plop one down and saves the long walk down the halls to get outside hoping they can hold it. I never found it confused them but then they were Shih Tzus and a Chihuahua so mabie different???? Hank I 'think' would know to use if he absolutely had to but the need has not risen as I'm almost always with him. So, talk to son and if he's ok with it, (don't need an argument of course) i'd suggest this to him as then when he transfers to a 'room' for him, he can get away from his bed, do his thing, and keep a clean area.