English Bulldog Shoes

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hello everyone! Iā€™m a new English bully mom to my 5 month old Rocco. We live in Nevada and temperatures are starting to rise high enough to increase temp on concrete. What shoe would you recommend I get to protect his paws? Thank you!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everyone! Iā€™m a new English bully mom to my 5 month old Rocco. We live in Nevada and temperatures are starting to rise high enough to increase temp on concrete. What shoe would you recommend I get to protect his paws? Thank you!

I live in Canada so Iā€™ll let others answer you. I personally wouldnā€™t put shoes on so the paws gets use to cement. That being said, if itā€™s too hot you shouldnā€™t be walking him outside. Especially that breed. Theyā€™re not made for extreme heat or cold. :)

jsygrls

Jul 17, 2020
Port Orange Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charles Barkley aka "Bubba"
Hello to both you and Rocco, I'm living in Central Florida with my boy Bubba, yes not Nevada, but as your probably aware we also get very hot in the summer. And yes I do dread summer walks a lot of the time. A couple of tips that may work for you, try walking very early and later in the evening if your schedule allows, out of the high sun when possible. I have a few parks close by that have areas where the trees act as a canopy so lots of shade to walk in, so I'll take him there (perhaps an option for you). ALWAYS, always have a couple of water bottles with you, for drinking and if he gets too hot to pour on his head to cool down. Get use to hearing him breath when he's out in the heat, you'll soon be able to tell when he's laboring, when (and if) he gets to that point cool him (water), and get him indoors. Its a fine line we walk with Bulldogs and heat , it can be dangerous (heat exhaustion, heat stroke). When walking stay off the blacktop roadway and paths, its get extremely hot, concrete surface is not as hot, much better on those puppy pads. IM looking forward to October...LOL

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Walk them in the early morning or late evening. Too hot during the day for walks. I wouldn't put shoes on him. Just keep him off the hot concrete. Remember, if it's too hot for your bare feet, it's too hot for them.

OP
rocco24

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Walk them in the early morning or late evening. Too hot during the day for walks. I wouldn't put shoes on him. Just keep him off the hot concrete. Remember, if it's too hot for your bare feet, it's too hot for them.

Thank you! I guess Iā€™m more concerned for times I just take him out to potty. I live in an apartment so no grassy area nearby unfortunately..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is tough, we bought them because Lambeau drags his paws so his nails will bleed during walks, but he will not walk or leave the shoes on, so we do short walks and trained him to walk on the grass and not the concrete. Not sure that is an option for you, it short walks will have to be the case

Members online

No members online now.