paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I don't remember how old Tebow is but I personally would not feed a growing Bulldog puppy a 38% protein food. I have seen multiple puppies have their front legs turn out from too much protein.
Tebow is almost 9 mos old. I had read somewhere about suggested protein levels for bulldogs, in the lower range, <22%, but I can't recall for sure. I know my dalmatians had to have low protein due to their unique kidney function.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Tebow is almost 9 mos old. I had read somewhere about suggested protein levels for bulldogs, in the lower range, <22%, but I can't recall for sure. I know my dalmatians had to have low protein due to their unique kidney function.
I don't think I would even give an adult bulldog 38% but that's me. The Open Farm I feed is 26%, I think. For puppies, I would say 24-26%, maybe 28% but I wouldn't go higher than that. I feed the ancient grains line so it's less protein than the grain free and there are no legumes. A few people on here feed Zignature with success and I think that has a decent protein % and they have a lot of proteins to rotate through including kangaroo and goat. I used to feed Louie Zignature before he went to raw.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I don't think I would even give an adult bulldog 38% but that's me. The Open Farm I feed is 26%, I think. For puppies, I would say 24-26%, maybe 28% but I wouldn't go higher than that. I feed the ancient grains line so it's less protein than the grain free and there are no legumes. A few people on here feed Zignature with success and I think that has a decent protein % and they have a lot of proteins to rotate through including kangaroo and goat. I used to feed Louie Zignature before he went to raw.
I did a little more research on protein content. Of course, different sites have different recommendations specific to bulldogs. Most seem to lean towards 26-28% because they are muscular dogs. I was disappointed that the BCA had no specific information on nutritional analysis recommendations other than low carbs.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I did a little more research on protein content. Of course, different sites have different recommendations specific to bulldogs. Most seem to lean towards 26-28% because they are muscular dogs. I was disappointed that the BCA had no specific information on nutritional analysis recommendations other than low carbs.
I find that bulldogs generally do well with that range of protein %.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

Dogs donā€™t need carbs, and low carbs is best for dogs including Bulldogs.
Too much carbs create problems for dogs.

38% is high in protein, Natures Logic is 30-32% depending on which formula.

Carna 4 is 29% protein. But where I am itā€™s way more pricy than natures logic.

N&D is 28% protein for the pumpkin line-lamb

The skin and coat line with quinoa is about 23%.

The ocean line is about. 30%.

For protein in general for dog foods, It should be good quality protein used, not ā€˜by productsā€™ or excessive plant based products or full of grains. Cause some foods will put a very minimal amount of animal products and then protein can basically come from the plant based and excessive grains, legumes or other starch.

yes ā€˜excessiveā€™ protein can sometimes cause growth issues, but 29-32 % is good, 38% is definitely on the higher end though.

I also always recommend rotating proteins to prevent food allergies and also each protein has its own benefits, so for example lamb, fish, duck, beef, etc and I avoid chicken.

Last edited:

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
What do you feed her now?
Sheā€™s gotten ā€œProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomachā€ for almost a year now and I switch between the Turkey (breakfast) and Salmon (dinner). I also top with coconut oil or salmon oil.

IMO the proplan sensitive line is pretty darn good. Some people on here would slap me for saying it šŸ˜‚

I agree with what @Cbrugs has said. Too much protein in the Orijen, I wish I hadnā€™t fed for as long as I did but I donā€™t believe it caused any issues.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Tebow is still a pup. Iā€™ve given Nyala, Jake n my previous Duke Orijen. This is my 2 cent n you certainly feed what you think is best for your dog. All my previous dogs were all on Orijen. Itā€™s a high quality kibble, rich in calories n very high in nutrient a puppy needs for that puppy stage boost. Every dog Iā€™ve own, not one had issues of any sort. They were all solid n still like walls. If a dog exercises/walks daily, theyā€™re moving constantly, they will burn calories, their joints will stay lubricant n smooth. Just like humans, stop moving n youā€™re toast.

Protein is meat. 38% isnā€™t any higher than the raw diet I feed my dogs attached below. Both my sons feeds their dogs (5 dogs) a raw diet. We recently lost one, she was a pit bull rescue n she was approx 15yrs old. She was healthy n still running around when she came over, sadly age was creeping up on her.

So again, do what you think is best for Tebow. Go with your gut. You can always try a smaller bag see how it goes or try whatā€™s mentioned above.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Sheā€™s gotten ā€œProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomachā€ for almost a year now and I switch between the Turkey (breakfast) and Salmon (dinner). I also top with coconut oil or salmon oil.

IMO the proplan sensitive line is pretty darn good. Some people on here would slap me for saying it šŸ˜‚

I agree with what @Cbrugs has said. Too much protein in the Orijen, I wish I hadnā€™t fed for as long as I did but I donā€™t believe it caused any issues.

Here is your food in more detail I find this interesting which you may too(which Is why I attached these screenshots and link for you and others).
Score is 1.5 out of 10 for quality. And the reasons for why.

1687307706936.jpeg

1687307734801.jpeg

Last edited:

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is your food in more detail I find this interesting which you may too(which Is why I attached these screenshots and link for you and others).
Score is 1.5 out of 10 for quality. And the reasons for why.

Im sure when they remember to pay their delinquent extortion fees the number will go back up to where it was last week

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Im sure when they remember to pay their delinquent extortion fees the number will go back up to where it was last week

I seen this a few months ago with the exact same 1.5 out of 10 score.

Pay the fees ??? It doesnā€™t make the score go up if it scores low for the many reasons it scores low.
This site definitely didnā€™t score it higher before.

Last edited:

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
I seen this a few months ago with the exact same 1.5 out of 10 score.

Pay the fees ??? It doesnā€™t make the score go up if it scores low for the many reasons it scores low.
This site definitely didnā€™t score it higher before.
oh well, I guess my rating is different than your website's rating. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø (it's eleventy.. or maybe seven)

Last edited:

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey @paw7004, just checking in! Have you had a chance to try Open Farm yet? If so, how's Tebow finding it?

We're gearing up to host an exchange-student (bulldog) soon, so I've been at the store stocking up on supplies. I got a good look at the Open Farm bag while I was there. It seems like great stuff!

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
I donā€™t recommend open farm for yeast issues, some dogs do well on it if they donā€™t have yeast issues, but others donā€™t do well on it(dogs with yeast also), because there is LOTS of yeast feeding ingredients in it.

If you want a good kibble for yeast issues without legumes or potatoes, Natures Logic is very good and is the lowest in carbs and has probiotics in it too and all whole food based, no synthetic vitamins.

There is no legumes or potatoes in it which is the main food for yeast, it and there is grain free options too, lots of protein options to rotate thru.
This food is best for dogs with yeast issues that need kibble.

Raw is best for yeast but if thatā€™s not a option, Natures Logic is the best for yeast issues and allergies and is very premium.

There are other kibbles that are good other than Natures Logic too such as
-Carna 4 - has probiotics in it and synthetic free, but they use some potatoes. Itā€™s oven baked.

- Farmina N&D

The only one that doesnā€™t use the legumes or potatoes though is Natures Logic. Much better than open farm.

Actually all these that I listed for brands is much better than Open Farm.
Hey, what do you think/know about "yeast culture" in a dog's food? I was considering trying the Nature's Logic Lamb but Sophie gets ear/yeast infections easily and this ingredient gives me pause. Not finding a ton online about it, and what I did varies from, of course, that it's "bad" or it's "good" LOL.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hey, what do you think/know about "yeast culture" in a dog's food? I was considering trying the Nature's Logic Lamb but Sophie gets ear/yeast infections easily and this ingredient gives me pause. Not finding a ton online about it, and what I did varies from, of course, that it's "bad" or it's "good" LOL.

Yeast culture is a safe ingredient, that wouldnā€™t cause yeast infections in dogs like she gets ear yeast infections, that yeast culture is in some foods to help keep the flavour there.
Lots of dog food brands use this ingredient and itā€™s safe and wouldnā€™t cause yeast ear issues in them.

Google always have lots of opinions if yes thatā€™s safe or no avoid with many things, sometimes when I google a symptom one of the dogs have for example it tells you the worst of course and scares people. So much misinformation on google unfortunately.

Like saying ā€˜cornā€™ is highly nutritious on some sites that promote vet foods or garbage brands, others say avoid(and yes AVOID corn-causes health issues) the vet companies say otherwise.
That was just my example of something you can google and lots of misinformation and yes feed and no thatā€™s bad.

Natures logic is a really good food, lots of protein options to choose from too.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Hey @paw7004, just checking in! Have you had a chance to try Open Farm yet? If so, how's Tebow finding it?

We're gearing up to host an exchange-student (bulldog) soon, so I've been at the store stocking up on supplies. I got a good look at the Open Farm bag while I was there. It seems like great stuff!
I haven't tried the Open Farm Adult salmon samples yet. I did transition him over to Natural Balance Limited Lamb & Brown Rice Puppy food. He's doing well with it. Fewer carbs as he has gotten quite big (fat). I'm considering doing a protein rotation once he hits adulthood.

Will your new bulldog be for Wednesday to show? She's done so well. Maybe I should get her to show Tebow! I get so flustered, I mess up in the presentation. Easy points for the others that are there. LOL

Members online

No members online now.