Anyone feeding Open Farm?

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Tebow seems prone to yeast infections and I am seeking a food that doesn't have potatoes or a lot of complex carbs. My local feed store stocks Open Farm and reading reviews, it seems to be a good choice, either salmon or lamb. He's currently on Fromme Puppy food. It'll be time to transition to adult food soon. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Millie had yeast problems on Fromm as well.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Tebow seems prone to yeast infections and I am seeking a food that doesn't have potatoes or a lot of complex carbs. My local feed store stocks Open Farm and reading reviews, it seems to be a good choice, either salmon or lamb. He's currently on Fromme Puppy food. It'll be time to transition to adult food soon. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

I donā€™t recommend open farm for yeast issues, some dogs do well on it if they donā€™t have yeast issues, but others donā€™t do well on it(dogs with yeast also), because there is LOTS of yeast feeding ingredients in it.

If you want a good kibble for yeast issues without legumes or potatoes, Natures Logic is very good and is the lowest in carbs and has probiotics in it too and all whole food based, no synthetic vitamins.

There is no legumes or potatoes in it which is the main food for yeast, it and there is grain free options too, lots of protein options to rotate thru.
This food is best for dogs with yeast issues that need kibble.

Raw is best for yeast but if thatā€™s not a option, Natures Logic is the best for yeast issues and allergies and is very premium.

There are other kibbles that are good other than Natures Logic too such as
-Carna 4 - has probiotics in it and synthetic free, but they use some potatoes. Itā€™s oven baked.

- Farmina N&D

The only one that doesnā€™t use the legumes or potatoes though is Natures Logic. Much better than open farm.

Actually all these that I listed for brands is much better than Open Farm.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I donā€™t recommend open farm for yeast issues, some dogs do well on it if they donā€™t have yeast issues, but others donā€™t do well on it(dogs with yeast also), because there is LOTS of yeast feeding ingredients in it.

If you want a good kibble for yeast issues without legumes or potatoes, Natures Logic is very good and is the lowest in carbs and has probiotics in it too and all whole food based, no synthetic vitamins.

There is no legumes or potatoes in it which is the main food for yeast, it and there is grain free options too, lots of protein options to rotate thru.

Raw is best for yeast but if thatā€™s not a option, Natures Logic is the best for yeast issues and allergies and is very premium.

-Carna 4 - has probiotics in it and synthetic free, but they use some potatoes. Itā€™s oven baked.

- Farmina N&D

The only one that doesnā€™t use the legumes or potatoes though is Natures Logic. Much better than open farm.

I have been waiting for you to come on and say not to feed Open Farm. Just because you think that your 2 or 3 recommended foods are the only kibble that anyone should feed, stop bashing other brands just because they don't live up to your "standards."

And just because your dog can't have anything in the world and has issues with everything in life, doesn't mean that other dogs will have issues too. You act like you and your recommendations are the end all be all to what anyone else on here has to suggest or recommend.

Fromm has potatoes in it which feeds yeast, Open Farm doesn't. Not one of my dogs has a yeast issue and 2 of them eat Open Farm.

Open Farm and other brands that members recommend are not bad foods just because you think so. You like to quote that every dog is different but what you say is the opposite of that.

If someone wants to try Open Farm, they can. If someone wants to feed Purina, they can. You are not an expert at all things dog like you pretend/act to be.

You want to give recommendations, fine. But stop acting like what you do and feed trumps anyone else on here.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Soā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

Heres a good explanation on potatoes n other starchy veggies thats not too good for pets. Also they give you kibble brands further down the page thatā€™s potato free.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow

- Farmina N&D

I looked at Natures Logic and whoa Nellie! $94.99/25lb for the Lamb formula!!!! I might consider N&D if I can find samples.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I have been waiting for you to come on and say not to feed Open Farm. Just because you think that your 2 or 3 recommended foods are the only kibble that anyone should feed, stop bashing other brands just because they don't live up to your "standards."

And just because your dog can't have anything in the world and has issues with everything in life, doesn't mean that other dogs will have issues too. You act like you and your recommendations are the end all be all to what anyone else on here has to suggest or recommend.

Fromm has potatoes in it which feeds yeast, Open Farm doesn't. Not one of my dogs has a yeast issue and 2 of them eat Open Farm.

Open Farm and other brands that members recommend are not bad foods just because you think so. You like to quote that every dog is different but what you say is the opposite of that.

If someone wants to try Open Farm, they can. If someone wants to feed Purina, they can. You are not an expert at all things dog like you pretend/act to be.

You want to give recommendations, fine. But stop acting like what you do and feed trumps anyone else on here.
First of all I am NOT bashing Open Farm.
I never said open farm is not a good food or that itā€™s bad. Itā€™s a ā€˜decentā€™ brand, not premium but way better than some others. I donā€™t bash/slam other brands of kibble ONLY the actual LOW garbage brands!

I said I donā€™t recommend open farm for yeast issues, but specifically for yeast issues I donā€™t recommend it, thatā€™s not to say it wouldnā€™t be good for a healthy dog without yeast issues.

And why were you waiting for me to come on and respond to this thread with recommendations like the OP asked for?? You are VERY rude and disrespectful to me on here. You sure like to slam me and my dogs.

The original poster of this thread, asked also for other food suggestions:
ā€œAny other suggestions are welcomeā€.

I was suggesting others like they asked for other suggestions too.

Your dogs donā€™t have yeast issues you said and do good on this food, for a dog WITH yeast issues, it may not be good, yes every dog is different.
But potatoes are NOT the only food that feeds yeast.

Yeast not only feed on potatoes, but also legumes and other starchy ingredients such as certain grains too.
The open farm may not have potatoes but it uses legumes which feed yeast!
Lots of legumes, here is the ingredients in one of the formulas:

1686866379577.jpeg

If someone feeds/wants to feed garbage food, they will.

If someone wants to feed Purina they can, same for open farm and every other brand, itā€™s their dog, but I can give suggestions/recommendations too like you all, by all means feed whatever you want for the dog owners, itā€™s their dog and their choice.

I do NOT ā€˜pretendā€™ to be a dog expert. Your being VERY Rude.

Last edited:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
First of all I am NOT bashing Open Farm.
I never said open farm is not a good food or that itā€™s bad. Itā€™s a ā€˜decentā€™ brand, not premium but way better than some others. I donā€™t bash/slam other brands of kibble ONLY the actual LOW garbage brands!

I said I donā€™t recommend open farm for yeast issues, but specifically for yeast issues I donā€™t recommend it, thatā€™s not to say it wouldnā€™t be good for a healthy dog without yeast issues.

And why were you waiting for me to come on and respond to this thread with recommendations like the OP asked for?? You are VERY rude and disrespectful to me on here. You sure like to slam me and my dogs.

The original poster of this thread, asked also for other food suggestions:
ā€œAny other suggestions are welcomeā€.

I was suggesting others like they asked for other suggestions too.

Your dogs donā€™t have yeast issues you said and do good on this food, for a dog WITH yeast issues, it may not be good, yes every dog is different.
But potatoes are NOT the only food that feeds yeast.

Yeast not only feed on potatoes, but also legumes and other starchy ingredients such as certain grains too.
The open farm may not have potatoes but it uses legumes which feed yeast!
Lots of legumes, here is the ingredients in one of the formulas:

View attachment 124406

If someone feeds/wants to feed garbage food, they will.

If someone wants to feed Purina they can, same for open farm and every other brand, itā€™s their dog, but I can give suggestions/recommendations too like you all, by all means feed whatever you want for the dog owners, itā€™s their dog and their choice.

I do NOT ā€˜pretendā€™ to be a dog expert. Your being VERY Rude.
The only Iā€™m going to say is that the example you posted of Open Farm is not even what I feed my dogs. I said I feed the ancient grains line.

Iā€™m just telling you how you always come off in your posts. Your posts bash people just by the choice of words you use and Iā€™m just calling you out on it.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I didn't intend to open a Pandora's box here. Please just take a breath. If the moderator wants to close this thread, I'm okay with that.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I looked at Natures Logic and whoa Nellie! $94.99/25lb for the Lamb formula!!!! I might consider N&D if I can find samples.
It depends on the protein for cost, I think the regular beef is $18 cheaper, but here where I am N&D is actually more expensive.

Have you thought about feeding raw? Sometimes there is raw food thatā€™s actually cheaper than kibble(sometimes), but raw isnā€™t for everyone.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Soā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

Have you looked into Orijen 6 Fish?
Thanks for that. I just looked it up. If I'm adding the nutritional analysis correctly, that puts the carb level at 20% which is low. The protein is 38%, much higher than I've seen in other premium foods. Is protein an issue in bulldogs? The only thing that would deter me is the cost. The fish formula at Chewy is $112.99/23.5 lbs.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for that. I just looked it up. If I'm adding the nutritional analysis correctly, that puts the carb level at 20% which is low. The protein is 38%, much higher than I've seen in other premium foods. Is protein an issue in bulldogs? The only thing that would deter me is the cost. The fish formula at Chewy is $112.99/23.5 lbs.
I don't remember how old Tebow is but I personally would not feed a growing Bulldog puppy a 38% protein food. I have seen multiple puppies have their front legs turn out from too much protein.

Members online

No members online now.