Anyone else have issues with Seresto flea/tick collars?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I put a Seresto collar on Chunky last weekend since it was time for a flea and tick preventative and he has had an upset stomach twice since then. I fasted him 3 days ago and he did well for two days and today I came home to a mess and he immediately ran outside and went some more. I am wondering if this is because of the collar or possibly something else

His diet hasn't changed recently other than him eating some beef brisket thursday night for his birthday and he was fine the next two days after that

He has had somewhat loose stools a day or two per week recently but I figured that was mostly from over feeding him and was slowly cutting back. The problem was the treats given to him by the people at the local restaurants we stop at daily plus his regular amount of food.

I will probably talk to the vet tomorrow and see what she suggest and he has always taken an oral prevenative before but I was trying to avoid giving him something orally anymore

BTW..... I never used ANY flea collars or pills or whatever for fleas n ticks for any of my dogs throughout my lifetime. Living in Montreal and surrounded by water we get a lot of mosquitoes n other bugs. Here in Alberta it's very well known for ticks. On my GS or these 2 mutts, all I use is a spritzer bottle of water like one cup of water, add 10 drops of each...lavender, citronella, lemongrass n peppermint. That's it and it works absolutely fantastic!!!! When it comes to ingest chemicals for my pets or I, there is no way in hell it's going to happen. When you do that, it brings other issues and becomes a chain reaction or domino effect. My 2 cents worth.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I would probably try it if it was available here but have never heard of anyone eating Kangaroo. I guess I am just use to the regular meats and seafood.

The Aussie eats it. They're still breathing lol

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
BTW..... I never used ANY flea collars or pills or whatever for fleas n ticks for any of my dogs throughout my lifetime. Living in Montreal and surrounded by water we get a lot of mosquitoes n other bugs. Here in Alberta it's very well known for ticks. On my GS or these 2 mutts, all I use is a spritzer bottle of water like one cup of water, add 10 drops of each...lavender, citronella, lemongrass n peppermint. That's it and it works absolutely fantastic!!!! When it comes to ingest chemicals for my pets or I, there is no way in hell it's going to happen. When you do that, it brings other issues and becomes a chain reaction or domino effect. My 2 cents worth.

off to order my citronella and lemongrass :) I have the rest...never had citronella so that's new, and plum out of lemongrass.... Thanks again!!!! I was waiting for this,,,, glad I didn't have to ask ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
off to order my citronella and lemongrass :) I have the rest...never had citronella so that's new, and plum out of lemongrass.... Thanks again!!!! I was waiting for this,,,, glad I didn't have to ask ;)

God next time just ask its easier! Loll

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White

Chunky went without last year except for a couple of months but the news people continue to talk about ticks here. I will try your remedy and see how that works

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
God next time just ask its easier! Loll

lol!!!!!!!!!! ok so now I'm asking...... I just looked on amazon and theres a 3 pack with lemongrass, grapefruit, and citronella... 1 oz each and it's by NOW... I have liked their products in the past.... any comments ... they ok for oils?... it's like 15 dollars for the three..... and now I'm going to get real technical.... Do you have a spray bottle you recommend??? I have my 2 oz dark bottles or blue, but I want an 8 oz... yea,,, that's what I'm looking for too...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
lol!!!!!!!!!! ok so now I'm asking...... I just looked on amazon and theres a 3 pack with lemongrass, grapefruit, and citronella... 1 oz each and it's by NOW... I have liked their products in the past.... any comments ... they ok for oils?... it's like 15 dollars for the three

NOW is ok. Doterra is a tad better. But if you like NOW take what you're use to.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thanks,,,, and I love Doterra so may check that.... spray bottle suggestions... only have the 2 oz.. love a good spray bottle..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky went without last year except for a couple of months but the news people continue to talk about ticks here. I will try your remedy and see how that works

Been raining non stop here and the bugs are out for revenge I swear. At night I spray the pups as they hang around outside for 30 mins before bedtime and im with them playing outside. I get bitten but not them. Bugs dont even go near them. I spray all over even under their bellies n especially behind the ears. Oh n they smell nice lolll

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Cheli is on a topical and I pulled four off him yesterday.. had not bit or impeded, but crawling around thinking about it. :angry:

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I am interested in others reactions to the Seresto flea/tick collar also. I used it all last season on my Barney (Beagle/lab mix) with great results. Here in Arkansas tick fever is prevalent. With the oral medication, I would find dead ticks attached to my dog, which is the function of the med, tick bites, tick dies. However it is my understanding that tick fever (ehrlichiosis) is transmitted in the initial bite. The collar repeled ticks and fleas. After an initial period of a week, give or take, I never had a tick on Barney. I kept the collar on all summer and into fall. We live on a lake and Barney was a wader yet the collar was still effective.
I am a new bulldog owner, never even thought of having one (Barney was my exception in a long long line of Dobermans), found my little guy in the middle of the National Forest, ( I am talking MIDDLE OF NOWHERE) 2 months after losing my Barney to old age (16).
Being a firm believer that the incidence of cancer in dogs has risen proportionately to the use of oral flea/tick medications, I am very reluctant to try oral meds. I am hoping the collar works well as I've pulled several ticks off Otis already, including the dozen or so he came with.
And what a Bulldog fan I've become !!

Attachments

• 20180206_130130.jpg
    20180206_130130.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 40

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am interested in others reactions to the Seresto flea/tick collar also. I used it all last season on my Barney (Beagle/lab mix) with great results. Here in Arkansas tick fever is prevalent. With the oral medication, I would find dead ticks attached to my dog, which is the function of the med, tick bites, tick dies. However it is my understanding that tick fever (ehrlichiosis) is transmitted in the initial bite. The collar repeled ticks and fleas. After an initial period of a week, give or take, I never had a tick on Barney. I kept the collar on all summer and into fall. We live on a lake and Barney was a wader yet the collar was still effective.
I am a new bulldog owner, never even thought of having one (Barney was my exception in a long long line of Dobermans), found my little guy in the middle of the National Forest, ( I am talking MIDDLE OF NOWHERE) 2 months after losing my Barney to old age (16).
Being a firm believer that the incidence of cancer in dogs has risen proportionately to the use of oral flea/tick medications, I am very reluctant to try oral meds. I am hoping the collar works well as I've pulled several ticks off Otis already, including the dozen or so he came with.
And what a Bulldog fan I've become !!

Welcome! I have only ever used Vectra 3D without issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Vectra 3d, thanks for suggestion. I will look at that as well as essential oils. I just want the best for this little guy. He is so adorable and has completely stolen my heart. Are they all just the funniest clowns? As I said this is my first English bulldog and a constant source of amusement. The downside is I'm getting absolutely nothing done in the house because I'm always watching to see what this silly guy will do next.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Vectra 3d, thanks for suggestion. I will look at that as well as essential oils. I just want the best for this little guy. He is so adorable and has completely stolen my heart. Are they all just the funniest clowns? As I said this is my first English bulldog and a constant source of amusement. The downside is I'm getting absolutely nothing done in the house because I'm always watching to see what this silly guy will do next.

Another I've used without issue is Parastar. It is less oily than Vectra

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] has an essential oil mix that a couple people on here use with success.

Members online

No members online now.