Anyone have an EBD that throws up clear liquid after drinking?

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Anyone have an EBD that shows up after drinking water. It's clear and it's not everything he drank..he does eat/drink on the fast side but I've had dogs that were that way before. He always burps about 3 times after eating or drinking. He doesn't throw up his good. Just clear liquid right after he's drank (within 5 min). He licks it right back up and do3smt throw up again.

Any ideas or things I can try. He's a healthy 50.2 lbs at almost a year old.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My Frenchie will sometimes throw up after he drinks too much water too fast. Mine doesnā€™t do enough to cause me concern so I havenā€™t put too much thought into it.

Maybe gulping too much air? Acid reflux? Have you tried slow feeder bowls?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Anyone have an EBD that shows up after drinking water. It's clear and it's not everything he drank..he does eat/drink on the fast side but I've had dogs that were that way before. He always burps about 3 times after eating or drinking. He doesn't throw up his good. Just clear liquid right after he's drank (within 5 min). He licks it right back up and do3smt throw up again.

After eating, donā€™t allow any water. Wait a good 15 minutes. Heā€™s gulping too fast. Let the food settle down.

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
If Brutus eats while drinking he does not throw up. He only throws Up when drinking alone. Itā€™s like 5 minutes after he finishes drinking. Clear liquid. Iā€™ve started giving him as much water as I can with meals. Iā€™ve also started giving him room temperature water vs super cold.

Kfam

Sep 19, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Undecided

I bought a feeding tray on Amazon. Itā€™s a slow feeder and also a slow water bowl. It has this square that floats on top of the water so they dont gulp too much. Seems to help, but still will have the occasional water vomit.

Attachments

• IMG_3277.jpeg
    IMG_3277.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 22
OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
It appears that Brutusā€™ issue was mostly related to him moving around after drinking. Heā€™s a serious follower. He will follows and of the humans that are going into the kitchen in case they have get a snack, if Iā€™m leaving out of one of the doors to go out in the yard, etc. That motion was causing him to vomit. I have started giving him a place command to put him on his bed for 10 min and he hasnā€™t vomited since. I also noticed he doesnā€™t vomit as easily if he eats with his water so I soak his food in water. I mean, itā€™s like a bowl of water with food on top. That way he gets a lot of water with his meals and drinks less in between meals which is more problematic. I will keep this thread updated.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We've seen this many times and it CAN BE related to elongated soft palate. It can also be related to drinking too much too fast. Keep doing what you're doing and if it does not reoccur, great. If it "comes up" again, consider an elongated soft palate eval.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I bought a feeding tray on Amazon. Itā€™s a slow feeder and also a slow water bowl. It has this square that floats on top of the water so they dont gulp too much. Seems to help, but still will have the occasional water vomit.
I got the water bowl cause of my GS not the bullies. But that being said, Jake has been eating from a slow feeder since last summer as he regurgitated his food n spit blood out caused by the raw diet. That regurgitating stopped. Water, I found a solution that works, since they all eat raw, they naturally drink less. Winter, they have a heated bowl outside n in summer that slow water bowl. So far so go. Them Upsky bowls are absolutely fantastic.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Them Upsky bowls are absolutely fantastic.
Yes they are. They are the only plastic bowls I'll use since the pups' chin never touches the plastic, only their tongue. And the plastic is polished to a super slick finish. Quality stuff! And so far we toss the filters in the dishwasher and they come out sparkling.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes they are. They are the only plastic bowls I'll use since the pups' chin never touches the plastic, only their tongue. And the plastic is polished to a super slick finish. Quality stuff! And so far we toss the filters in the dishwasher and they come out sparkling.
You can toss the filters in the dishwasher? I didnā€™t know that. But wouldnā€™t that remove the charcoal even more?

Ilovedogs

Dec 6, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank and Stella
My EBD does this after he drinks also! That is the reason I joined this forum. Now that I have started minimizing his water (I feed it to him through a turkey baster!!) he is obsessed to find water anywhere/anytime!! I am going to try the slow feed water bowl to maybe help.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
You can toss the filters in the dishwasher? I didnā€™t know that. But wouldnā€™t that remove the charcoal even more?
Charcoal still in tact after many washings. Don't know if it retains its effectiveness but I change the water regularly and completely clean the bowl at least every other day. It's never very nasty, slimy.

Members online

No members online now.