worming/deworming questions

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Even if your dog is constantly exposed to worms you only need to deworm every 3 months because of the long life cycle, but since you need to give heartworm medication at least every 2 months, I figure might as well deworm at same time. I wouldn't personally use a natural dewormer, since you'd probably need to combine at least 2-3 ingredients and give for about 3 weeks straight for it to work. Some of the worms that a dog gets can be transmitted to humans eg. roundworm,hookworm,tapeworm and I'm a bit germaphobic. I just make sure I give probiotics for a week after I give heartworm and tapeworm drug.

Worm eggs are quite wide spread, not necessarily in areas contaminated with dog poops, like dog parks etc. They are present practically everywhere in the soil and come not only from dogs ( they come from people, pigs, wildlife etc) and are spread by wind and rain flow etc. Dogs walk and get in on their paws and then lick it, and also they love to sniff Grass and soil etc. That's why it is recommended to deworm regularly. In southern states you have to give heartworm medication regularly, and Heartguard plus also contains praziquantel to fight worms.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Even if your dog is constantly exposed to worms you only need to deworm every 3 months because of the long life cycle, but since you need to give heartworm medication at least every 2 months, I figure might as well deworm at same time. I wouldn't personally use a natural dewormer, since you'd probably need to combine at least 2-3 ingredients and give for about 3 weeks straight for it to work. Some of the worms that a dog gets can be transmitted to humans eg. roundworm,hookworm,tapeworm and I'm a bit germaphobic. I just make sure I give probiotics for a week after I give heartworm and tapeworm drug.

Isnt there a shot that they give at the vets for worming? is it this that you speak of? That's what I used to do (I think) (but not heartworm, never have done anything in that direction) was the shot de wormer. It seems that I really knew or know nothing about worming issues. I know I had it done, but for some reason, was just 'part of the deal' and so did it. I feel so baffled with this guy... I'm getting old and worrysome I guess. I will keep him sprayed, and then checked when home I'm guessing. but it's sooooooooo good to know from experience which to use and which and where not to use...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
There is a shot for heartworms- moxidectin (Proheart 6) which lasts for 6 months. It's the same ingredient in Advantage Multi monthly topical. I don't think it's a great idea to use since if your pet is allergic or sensitive to it you are stuck with the side effects for 6 months.

Isnt there a shot that they give at the vets for worming? is it this that you speak of? That's what I used to do (I think) (but not heartworm, never have done anything in that direction) was the shot de wormer. It seems that I really knew or know nothing about worming issues. I know I had it done, but for some reason, was just 'part of the deal' and so did it. I feel so baffled with this guy... I'm getting old and worrysome I guess. I will keep him sprayed, and then checked when home I'm guessing. but it's sooooooooo good to know from experience which to use and which and where not to use...

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
There is a shot for heartworms- moxidectin (Proheart 6) which lasts for 6 months. It's the same ingredient in Advantage Multi monthly topical. I don't think it's a great idea to use since if your pet is allergic or sensitive to it you are stuck with the side effects for 6 months.

na, never done heartworm stuff. Wonder if it was for tape? that was probably it...

Members online

No members online now.