Vets have no time available...

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Currently, my pup has no issues but the recent post about Martha's passing brought this to mind. When I was a nurse in a pediatric clinic, we had appointments for non-urgent checkups, physicals and such, yet our docs always had small blocks in the morning and the afternoon for those 'emergencies' that weren't urgent enough to warrant an expensive trip to the ER. Why can't veterinarians do the same?

I have been frustrated so many times in the last 30 years to call my vet's office with an ailment that I felt needed immediate attention, like 'any time today please'. Bloody stools from my puppy and you can't see him until next Thursday??? This is FRIDAY! Well, we can squeeze him in but there is an additional $100 fee for emergencies. Years ago, one of my dachshunds ate pine bark mulch, passing blood and in obvious distress. I drove him to the clinic. 'Well, we don't have any appointments available for today.' ME: 'You don't have a vet tech to do a triage to determine the urgency?' RECEPT-'Well, they aren't vets...' (But I'd bet they could see that my wiener dog was in distress with blood dripping from his butt!) And these experiences weren't with just one vet clinic but 4 over the years. I did have one vet that would do 'same day' appointments but her clinic was in a small town and she wasn't swamped. Then I moved...

A friend of mine, a vet tech, posted on her FB page that the clinic she works at won't be taking on any more new "wellness" clients due to the high demand for urgent care. Two vets in the office will be dedicated to surgery and "sick call", another will do wellness and annual checks for established clients. That they are willing to forego new clients to care for their current clients until another vet can be hired. I applaud this clinic for addressing these needs. There are some things that just can't wait until "next Thursday", some not even until tomorrow.

Anyway, that's my gripe! These are living creatures, dear to our hearts. We spend a lot of $$ at the vet's, shots, heartworm pills, etc. So why has vet care taken on a "for-profit' attitude? Surely most every clinic gets calls on a daily basis with a sick or injured dog that can't wait until "next Thursday".

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I totally agree... the past three years it has gotten worse and worse. our vet had a period of time they had to close early or on certain days due to not having enough doctors. they have since hired a few and things are almost back to 2018-2019 standards. And, they always have as you mentioned emergency times throughout the day, it is more money (not $100) but at least you have the option instead of going to a 24/7 ER that is $200-300 to walk in the door

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Agree, things are worse than they were.
Buster was having a lot of difficulty walking on his hind legs early one morning, he couldn't support himself, so we rushed him to our closest "24/7 Emergency Vet" only to be told the vet wouldn't be in till 9.30 am! We could, however, have him triaged by a tech (for $500) in the meantime and we were 2nd in line. o_O We left and drove another 20 miles to a small ER. We arrived, Buster miraculously discovered he could walk again when he saw another dog and we were seen in 30 mins. $145 later after being diagnosed with a sprain, we left and were home before the other vet would have even shown up! The vet at the 2nd ER was great. No rush and explained everything and said to rest him and if no improvement, then have him x-rayed with his regular vet. Which is exactly what we did. He rested and was fine!
It made us angry that the "24/7" was a load of bull and they were going to charge that price. The problem is, some people think they have no other option at 6.00 am.
My vet, God bless him, has told his staff that they must always try to slot in his regular patients for emergencies and they have priority for appointments over new patients. It's not that he doesn't want new patients, it's just that he can only be spread so far. I can count on one hand the times I have had to see one of his partners and they are good, they are just not him!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I must say that I feel Martha's death was my mistake(fault). I should have taken her down to my vet of many years, instead of dealing with the office. Just wasn't thinking right. Feel very guilty about it...though.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I must say that I feel Martha's death was my mistake(fault). I should have taken her down to my vet of many years, instead of dealing with the office. Just wasn't thinking right. Feel very guilty about it...though.
Please don't feel guilty. I have the tendency to take the office admin's at their word when they say "No time for you. Don't bother showing up because we still can't squeeze you in." And then I have to reassess my dog...Is it urgent? He's not crying..." When my newest puppy was having bloody stools, I called 5 different vet offices before one would get me in..with the $100 charge. We do the best we know how...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No, no, no!!! You did all you could with the information you had at hand!!

Members online

No members online now.