Jeff
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dallas
    Likes (Received)

Default Tracheostomy and quality of life

Hello all,

My wife and I are struggling with the decision to place a permanent tracheostomy or putdown our beloved bulldog "Dallas". The surgeon involved has explained and offered two options, either laryngeal tieback or permanent tracheostomy. He will first attempt the tieback, but if is not possible, he will then perform the trach.

He is 10 years old, but looks and acts like 3. He is in amazing shape to the point that even vets are shocked when they learn of his age. He is exclusively an indoor dog and we have no other dogs or children. Also, my wife works from home which is a huge advantage

We love this dog more than anything, but we don't want to be selfish and compromise his quality of life. He is full of life and has an amazing spirit that we fear will be broken with a tracheostomy. Also, we don't know how he will relearn how to sleep after 10 years of sleeping on his stomach and always resting his chin and neck on the edge of his bed.

I can't bear the thought of putting him down, but that goes the same for watching him suffer. So here are a few questions:

Does anyone have a bulldog that has a tracheostomy?
    If so, how is their quality of life?
    Would you do it again?
    Can they ever be left alone?
    Do they relearn how to sleep?
    How prone to pneumonia and or infection are they?
    What is the realistic life expectancy after a tracheostomy.

Thank you in advance,

Heartbroken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Bully Bootie Duty BuddercupKelly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tracheostomy and quality of life

I have no clue, but want you to know I will be praying for you, your wife and Dallas. My heart aches for you. Hang in there.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I am sorry I am no help as i have never dealt with this. I will tag a few members that are much more knowledgeable than I am. If I may ask. What condition does your boy have that would require this radical procedure?
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Will keep y'all and Dallas in my heart and in my prayers. Such difficult
    decisions to have to make I had to put my sweet Coco, a Rag Doll
    cat of 16 yrs old, to sleep, end of Jan...I miss her so much. She too,
    looked like and played, like a kitten. Ask yourselves...if it were me...
    would I be alright, living with these difficulties OR...letting go & resting
    in peace? Again, my sympathies & prayers are with y'all~GOD bless!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Dallas is one handsome boy! I'm so sorry you and Dallas are going through this. That's one very tough decision to make. Whatever deciscion you and your wife make I'm sure it'll be best for Dallas. Hang in there. sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kori
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
    Likes (Received)

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. I've had no experience with a bulldog that has had the procedure. Hopefully someone will come along soon and be able to offer advice.
    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

James Hond, My Sunshine

Real Name
    Jeff
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dallas
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    I am sorry I am no help as i have never dealt with this. I will tag a few members that are much more knowledgeable than I am. If I may ask. What condition does your boy have that would require this radical procedure?
    He has laryngeal collapse and his airway is only 4mm. Also, I misspoke regarding the second procedural option. I said laryngeal pullback, but the procedure is actually laryngeotomy. It is a rare procedure where the expand the airway/larynx.

Over the weekend, I went to take him for his daily walk and we barely made it passed my driveway (about 10 yards) before I noticed his breathing sounded off. I immediately turned around.

Once we were inside, he laid down, relaxed and went to sleep. I continued to monitor him and his breathing was controlled but still odd. It sounded like he had phlegm. He has always had issues with allergies, so I just assumed that was the cause.

The next day, I noticed as he breathed through his nose, there was a slight wheeze. This was on Sunday, so we had to go to an urgent care clinic. His oxygen levels were at 88%, so they placed him in a oxygen chamber. They initially thought it was related to a heart arrhythmia. They recommended leaving him over night and then sending him home with a 24hr heart monitor.

The following morning they called us and explained that he suddenly began to struggle to breath and they ultimately had to intubate him. He was evaluated and then diagnosed with the collapsed larynx. The next step was placing a temporary tracheostomy. That surgeon said the only option was a permanent tracheostomy.

Dallas had a similar incident when he was 2 years old (8 years ago) and we wanted to get him to the surgeon, Dr Tony Cambridge, that was involved. At that time, Dallas was also diagnosed with a collapsed larynx. Dr Cambridge was going to perform a larynx resection surgery. As he began the procedure, he wanted to assess which side of the larynx to remove. To his amazement, Dallas' larynx opened as wide and as powerful as any normal larynx.

When he called me, he explained that what he just witnessed was medically impossible, but the once collapsed larynx was just fine. He removed the temporary trach and Dallas was breathing on his own. Dr Cambridge then deemed Dallas the "miracle dog".

Again that was 8 years ago. Due to his history, we transferred Dallas to Dr Cambridge for a second opinion. After examining Dallas he explained the 3 possible options (rather than only option suggested by the first surgeon).

We just need to decide on the worst case scenario (permanent trach) before Dr Cambridge begins. Of course we are praying for the first option, but we need to be prepared for the worst.

Thank you

Jeff

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the explanation. I am at a loss for words. I do not know what I would do either. I will send positive thoughts and prayers your way.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear about Dallas's condition.

I read this story about a Pug who had a tracheostomy placed. Have you seen this one? Perhaps this will help you, or at least know that the QOL does not have to be entirely diminished:
    http://www.raevonpugs.com/jackson-story.html

Real Name
    Jeff
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dallas
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear about Dallas's condition.

I read this story about a Pug who had a tracheostomy placed. Have you seen this one? Perhaps this will help you, or at least know that the QOL does not have to be entirely diminished:
    http://www.raevonpugs.com/jackson-story.html
    Thank you for the link. It is good to see Jackson living a good life with a trach. This type of info helps with the decision.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogfan View Post
    Thank you for the link. It is good to see Jackson living a good life with a trach. This type of info helps with the decision.
    You are most welcome. I thought Jackson's story was very inspiring and shows us that dogs can indeed live a happy, high quality life, with a trach. Please continue to keep us updated on Dallas.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

WOW, that is a hard one for sure. I don't have any experience with a tracheostomy, but it seems if your boy is in great health other wise and still getting around very well, then it might be a possibility. It sounds like he will need more care and someone will need to be with him all the time to keep it clear and clean. I would talk with your vet and the surgeon to get their opinion.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads