Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bully Newbie

Default Bully Newbie

Hello,
    My wife and have a 14 month daughter that is a bit rough at the moment. We will be moving into the house I grew up in; in about a month.

I am looking at getting an English Bulldog. I read how they are very good with kids. I am aware of health issues and wondering if anyone can share some knowledge about health and what I can do about those issues.

Thanks for your input

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bully Newbie

to EBN! There is much info listed on the home page about different health issues. You can't do much about things, until a problem shows up.
    You can find a very good vet, who is experienced with EBD's, and feed a good, grain free food, and high quality supplement.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Hey Kevin! Welcome to EBN! I wanted to respond to your question because I got a bulldog puppy a year ago and at the time I had 3 grandsons that were all a year old. First, Bulldogs are generally wonderful with kids. Winnie is my 4th bulldog, all of which loved kids to death, and my own kids grew up with Bulldogs. There's a big "however" though. If you get a puppy, he will probably go through a "shark phase." Some puppies are worse than others, my first one was terrible, the second two were not bad, and Winnie was the worst by far. We had a couple of months where we could barely play with her at all. She bit our hands, arms, feet, clothes--anything she could grab. When the grandkids would come over, Winnie would have to spend a lot of time in her crate. She would also run and jump on the boys, knocking them over and making them cry. Of course, pups have to be trained not to do that stuff, but it's a process and takes a while. We also put up some baby gates which helped when we wanted to separate Winnie from the kids.

So, fast forward to now, the boys will turn two in a week and Winnie is 13 months. She quit the puppy biting by the time she was 4-5 months old and at some point after that she quit knocking them over. Now, she is wonderful with them. Mostly she just follows them everywhere. She still gets their toys and chews them up occasionally and tries to take food from them. Sometimes they get mad because she's just always "in their space." We still put her in her crate for the first 30 minutes the boys are here, so she can calm down before we let her out.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know what you'll be in for, with a puppy anyway. It will be a lot of work and crazy making for a while. If you're up for that first 8 months or so, a bully would be a wonderful choice. Try to pick a calm, laid back puppy. I would be very careful about getting a grown dog, because you can't be absolutely sure how they will respond to a baby.

Good luck! @Kevin Hance
    -image-jpg -image-jpg -image-jpg

And, I just re-read your post and wanted to address the health issues you asked about. It is true that Bulldogs have a high incidence of health issues. The best thing you can do is find a reputable breeder and ask questions about the health of the parents. I won't go into all the health issues Bulldogs have, because you can read about them here on this site. But I will say that there are really healthy Bulldogs too. We tend to focus on health problems here, because that's usually what people want help with. All four of my bullies have been very healthy, except two of them had cherry eye. They never had allergies or any other issues. I feel lucky, because you never really know what issues will pop up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

5. Likes schimpfy, Manydogs, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

I know there are several people at EBN who have had bulldog puppies and babies at the same time. I just can't remember who specifically or I would tag them. Maybe they will read your post and chime in.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Seline Weiskopff's Avatar
    Country
    united states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    molly
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the best bully forum around !

Sending Bully Wiggles Your Way
    I'm a little bulldog short and stout.... tip me over and my tongue falls out

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

to EBN .... Any specific questions you have at the moment?

Few words of advice -- do not buy for a pet store or off craigslist --- find a good breeder in your area an area you are willing to travel and pick up your new baby
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

I live south of Philadelphia and contacted a breeder in Delaware that does French and English bulldogs; they have offered me to come visit.

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hance View Post
    I live south of Philadelphia and contacted a breeder in Delaware that does French and English bulldogs; they have offered me to come visit.
    I am northwest of Philly..... got all my babies from a breeder now located in Virginia
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlotte
    Likes (Received)

@Kevin hance I have a 14mth old baby and an 18 month old EB... The baby arrived when Charlotte was few months old. It requires attention and limit setting. Now that Ethan is getting around its a whole different set of limits and the toys, oh the toys! No matter what I do they are shared....ugh. It takes supervision and effort but never have I thought the EB would harm the baby (intentionally) we do have issues with excitement but we are working on it. They both have time out areas which are a must.. I could go on and on......

As for charlottes health- EBN is awesome in that prevention and knowledge are very helpful. Make sure to go to a reputable breeder and research plenty! My breeder is in North Carolina.

(Arghhhhhh have to go back and remember how to upload a photo lol smh.)

14. Likes Donnam liked this post
    Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member punky's Avatar
    Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

i agree with the others.. i have 4 bullies and i would look for a breeder that breeds for good health. i was lucky to find the one found on our second bully.. my fourth one was a rescue and so far his health is nothing to serious that we couldn't take care of..i found this site really informational also..

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to EBN
    ask away and yee shall receive here and read on Macdough you came to the right place for info , friendship and all Bulldog stuff
    You will find that we Demand pics here also once you get your pup were all sort of strange that way .
    As I am old as dirt I am well past your original question but there are tons of Bully lovers here that have gone thru what you want to know .
    Here is Tilly as a pup -img_6002-600x500-jpg-primrose-rosie-003-jpgand soon to come home from the breeder Primrose = Rosie ( Rosie comes home this weekend at 8 weeks old ) just to keep your excitement up a bit

Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Sara @Miss Charlotte, how many puzzles do you have that still have all the pieces?! Pacifiers and sippy cups--Winnie loves those and can ruin them in 10 seconds flat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads