Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I recently got my first English Bulldog, after years of having dogs. They have different needs than regular dogs, I wanted to wait until I knew I was ready to handle those needs. Particularly the financial aspect, in my opinion you can search and search for great lineage to avoid health issues but you can never know for certain so don't rely on that when it comes to decision making. My girl had bacterial pneumonia recently, I spent a week on the couch with her giving breathing treatments and water with a medication syringe. I think if I hadn't been in a position to do that (stay at home mom) she wouldn't have made it. Overall, my experience has been nothing short of fantastic, so long as you make proper plans and prepare for the unexpected I think you'll have a great addition to your family.
While there certainly are no guarantees that any puppy you buy will be perfect in health, doing proper research and getting a bulldog from a reputable and ethical preservation breeder that does health testing can make all the difference in the world in what you end up with. So I personally would rely on that when it comes to decision making.

RShadden

Dec 5, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Helga
I think I heavily disagree with this statement but I can’t tell if I am reading it right or not.

You should, heavily, search for great lineage and breeder to avoid health issues. Does it mean you should ignore when your pup is having trouble because “it should be healthy”, no. But you definitely need to search for reputable breeders with health tested parents.

Aspiration pneumonia is extremely dangerous. I’m so happy that your baby made it and you were there to provide the support! 😍
I meant, obviously research a good breeder but don't assume that a reputable breeder means your pup is 100% not going to have an issue at all. Basically, do your research but make sure you can afford treatment should an issue arise. I've seen people so confused as to why their dog has this or that because they came from a solid breeder. Especially in older dogs which is baffling to me because the older anything gets the more issues will pop up. Regardless of breed, you should always find a good breeder that cares for the animals as opposed to dollar signs. Sorry for the confusion 🙂

RShadden

Dec 5, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Helga
While there certainly are no guarantees that any puppy you buy will be perfect in health, doing proper research and getting a bulldog from a reputable and ethical preservation breeder that does health testing can make all the difference in the world in what you end up with. So I personally would rely on that when it comes to decision making.
I do believe what I said was not perceived correctly. I spent a year and a half making my decision, by all means research. Just don't use that as an "all clear no problems at all ever".

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@RShadden , you said it fine. In a nutshell, don’t mean top notch breeders has better dogs. I personally know people bought from top breeders n both their dogs was sick n one died. Definitely not saying all top breeders are bad cause they’re not. Like you n others mentioned, you most certainly need to do your homework before buying any dog breed. You have proper breeders that will put their dogs before them n you sadly have the shady ones there just for the money. It is what it is. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Members online

No members online now.