I was just rescued!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
:angelheart:Rescues are the best, next to rescuers. I love the fact that you call the person who is helping you "My behaviorist" we are the ones getting trained. I wish you all the best.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
:smileywelcome: to you Mike and Kiah, what a lucky girl is that you went there that day and you too are lucky for going there. this is going to be a good match for you both and Thank you for caring so much and taking her home with you and showing her the love that she desperately needs. :clap2:
how people can treat pets like this gets me, I just hope that woman gets what she deserves for treating Kiah like that, it breaks my heart to know that there are people (if you can call them that) out there and treating these poor babies like that.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN!!!!! We are honored to have you sign up to be part of our little community. We strive to learn from our mutual experiences and am glad to have you as part of that learning chain. Thanx again! :) Just holler if you need any help with the site.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Welcome to you both, this story melts my heart. God bless you Mike for your commitment to this beautiful dog. I look forward to hearing more stories of her progression.

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
welcome to the group. I am so glad you were able to rescue Kiah. I just recently rescued one myself a month ago from a puppy mill. she is 3 actually and well set in her ways and it has been a long battle for me to help her coop with the changes in her life. it is going very slowly. some days shes perfect and others she is horrible. Bull dogs are stubborn anyways so that makes it worse :)
I am glad you joined. in the months time this group has helped me with so many issues that I wouldn't have over come already without the help. Its a great group and I am glad to also be apart of it. I hope you are able to get Kiah to a wonderful loving bullie. look forward to seeing your posts. maybe we can help each other along the way with various issues.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What a sad, yet so beautiful story! Mike you are already a friend, thank you for rescuing her from her horrible life! Bless you! Welcome to the pack!

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Welcome Mike! I am so glad you were able to rescue the charming Kiah! I enjoyed reading your story, but wish it weren't so. I can see the guarded look in her eye and I hope you are able to help her lose that and be loving baby she is inside. Good luck!

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
[MENTION=8502]christyjulene[/MENTION] - LOL I didn't even catch that but you are 100% correct. I have years of experience which has taught me to have others come in as well. Everyday i'm learning more and more. Ana from Primal Hound in Miami is amazing. She drives an hour just to come up here.

@michelle23093 - Patience is a must with my girl. In almost 2 weeks time we have almost mastered the walk, sit, come and she is learning how to play. I finally found a toy that she is interested in so she can relax. She was always in guard mode and she was the calmest I've seen her last night.
[MENTION=3373]luseaann[/MENTION] The first few days with her were very rough. She constantly tried to challenge me and she is learning I won't back down, you should she her in the am all sleepy eyed when I let her out of her crate. She's like a puppy. When she has that look in her eyes, I just get all like, "Whose my bulldoggy?" and she gets playful. She's licking me within seconds :p

Thank you again for all the kind words. Here are some updates on my pretty lil girl...

She has never played with toys before so getting her interested is a feat within itself. We've gone through many that she just wasn't interested in. I went to the pet store today to get her a Kong Genius, she took to it pretty well and got really excited and then threw it up in the air and it smacked against her water bowl. Poor girl was really scared and wouldn't go near her water bowl. As we all know, this can be very dangerous. I started working some commands with her and then I trailed some treats to her bowls. Once she got close I got a cold bottle of water and treated a couple times. All while splashing cold water on my hands and praising her. She's been to her bowl 3 times since :D

Now for the best part...

We went on our evening walk just as the sun was dropping below the horizon. We went down 1 block over and a bunch of people were outside partying and of course there a dog off leash (I've been working with her with on "leave it", "Lets go", and "Come" on all our walks). I stayed 100% calm and increased my energy, focusing on nothing but the road in front of us. I continued my pace and continued working in my commands. My girl looked at the dog and didn't skip a beat!!!! I was soooooooo very proud of her. No growling, lunging, charging, or aggressive energy. I wasn't going to stick around of course, we were in migrate mode, which I must say she is really starting to enjoy. I got her past the situation and I stopped to praise/treat her, we sat for a min and I almost lost it. I couldn't believe how well she did. She is coming along so very nicely. We got home and played for awhile. I stood up and sat in my recliner and she jumped right up into my lap. Licking my face and nuzzling.

I must say to all of you, I've never felt so welcomed before. Thank you all for making this transition with Kiah an easier one for both of us. Truly, from the depths of my heart and soul...

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
You are proof that even some of the most unsocialized dogs can become amazing dogs with just a little direction and devotion. Thanks for being there to save Kiah.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mike, Kiah's story brought tears to my eyes. She is so lucky to have rescued you! I predict many happy years of bully kisses! I am so glad you are here and shared her story with us!

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I can't think of one thing to say that everyone else hasn't. Please pass the Kleenex cause I'm all :pouting: after reading this great story and the posts that followed.
If I ever got to meet you I'd buy you lunch and shake your hand, Mike. You have a heart the size of Texas! To take this girl in and help her, show her leadership, and that she's loveable and safe...that makes my heart smile! You, sir, R-O-C-K...now, can we get more pics?????

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
I can't thank you all enough for all your responses! Everyday she gets better and better!

Here's a quick story, this just happened about 30 minutes ago.

I took her outside on the porch to relax for a few. It was raining outside so the heat index is waaaaay down. My neighbor took his American Bully outside for a walk and she started to bark and I could feel the fearful energy. The fixation has gone way down! I immediately called her name, used the hand command I've been teaching her and firmly told her to sit. BOOM! Butt hit the ground and she was looking at me. She was still nervous of course and I immediately redirected her. I circled around her once she was sitting and her attention was completely redirected. I treated/praised her once she was calm. All this in a matter of 15 seconds or less, cept the treat of course. My neighbors were impressed. They came over to tell me they can't believe how much she has changed in less than 2 weeks.

Here's a pic of her in a new bed I got her today, with her new Antler. :D
New bed_antler.jpg

She just plodded off to her crate, nap time!!!

Members online

No members online now.