Need Gardening HELP Please

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He even has his corner lol... what a cutie...

I still have onions, carrots, turnips, leeks which are not thick, too much rain this summer n that’s it. Oh yeah still some zucchini’s...

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] Same here!! Still getting tomatoes, BUT brown leaves and skin is getting a little tough....not sure what that is from :(

I adore your garden helper!!! Joey follows me around and smells the plants, one cherry tomato fell on the ground, she sniffed it but apparently we have found THE ONE FOOD that she has no interest in LOL

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@cefe13 Same here!! Still getting tomatoes, BUT brown leaves and skin is getting a little tough....not sure what that is from :(

I adore your garden helper!!! Joey follows me around and smells the plants, one cherry tomato fell on the ground, she sniffed it but apparently we have found THE ONE FOOD that she has no interest in LOL

As long as the skin isn't really brownish it's hopefully ok. We now have mould but some years we've had some disease on tomatoes that often affects potato and I've had to throw away tomatoes.

And Castor doesn't eat tomatoes either. He does eat mozzarella cheese, though, so he's really happy when we have tomato-mozzarella-basil salad.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
As long as the skin isn't really brownish it's hopefully ok. We now have mould but some years we've had some disease on tomatoes that often affects potato and I've had to throw away tomatoes.

And Castor doesn't eat tomatoes either. He does eat mozzarella cheese, though, so he's really happy when we have tomato-mozzarella-basil salad.

Oh Joey is a "cheese lover" as well!! Sometimes after the last potty outing of the evening IF I say while outside "finish up, then some cheese" once we are back inside, leash put away. I will find her patiently waiting at the refrigerator......even if I have gone to change clothes and have forgotten, when I go back into the kitchen, there she sits.....waiting.....LOL

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh Joey is a "cheese lover" as well!! Sometimes after the last potty outing of the evening IF I say while outside "finish up, then some cheese" once we are back inside, leash put away. I will find her patiently waiting at the refrigerator......even if I have gone to change clothes and have forgotten, when I go back into the kitchen, there she sits.....waiting.....LOL

Oh, that's cute! I'm pretty sure there is some brain activity going on behind our furry friends' wrinkles! We rarely give Castor from our food but this summer I thought he wasn't eating enough so I started giving him a tiny slice of cheese with his breakfast - result was of course that he wouldn't eat until I had added the cheese. Took a day or two to break that habit!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] Same here!! Still getting tomatoes, BUT brown leaves and skin is getting a little tough....not sure what that is from :(

Leaves on your tomatoes indicate a fungus. Check with your local nursery on what to do.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Leaves on your tomatoes indicate a fungus. Check with your local nursery on what to do.

Yes, some kind of fungus / mould (is it mildew perhaps?). Since tomatoes are annuals I don't think there is anything to do (will have to pull up the plants in a couple of weeks anyway) but I have some perennial plants with similar issues so I've bought something last week to cure them!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Yes, some kind of fungus / mould (is it mildew perhaps?). Since tomatoes are annuals I don't think there is anything to do (will have to pull up the plants in a couple of weeks anyway) but I have some perennial plants with similar issues so I've bought something last week to cure them!
Next year rotate your crops. That is, plant tomatoes in a different part of the garden. Google the yellowing of leaves....be prepared for what you read. Yes that sounds worse than it is.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Next year rotate your crops. That is, plant tomatoes in a different part of the garden. Google the yellowing of leaves....be prepared for what you read. Yes that sounds worse than it is.

Rotating would be good... but my entire garden is 320 square feet so not many locations to choose from! I do change the soil to the 20 square feet or so I devote to tomatoes, though. The weird thing about the fungus attacks we've seen this year is that most of it is on my tiny trees I have grown from seeds (a tiny oak, an apple tree and a chestnut. I'll deal with them before winter comes and then again next sporing and hopefully they will behave better next year!

Do you have a garden for Jewel and Bentley?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh, that's cute! I'm pretty sure there is some brain activity going on behind our furry friends' wrinkles! We rarely give Castor from our food but this summer I thought he wasn't eating enough so I started giving him a tiny slice of cheese with his breakfast - result was of course that he wouldn't eat until I had added the cheese. Took a day or two to break that habit!

Oh Joey is way beyond breaking her cheese habit but we do our best to limit it.....you know, she IS in charge LOL

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rotating would be good... but my entire garden is 320 square feet so not many locations to choose from! I do change the soil to the 20 square feet or so I devote to tomatoes, though. The weird thing about the fungus attacks we've seen this year is that most of it is on my tiny trees I have grown from seeds (a tiny oak, an apple tree and a chestnut. I'll deal with them before winter comes and then again next sporing and hopefully they will behave better next year!

Do you have a garden for Jewel and Bentley?
Yes I do but not this year. And yes Jewel and Bentley supervise the heck out of me. They literally go nuts when i water.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have a bunch of green cherry tomatoes and summer is over so they are not going to ripen. I was thinking of pickling them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a bunch of green cherry tomatoes and summer is over so they are not going to ripen. I was thinking of pickling them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Small fried green tomatoes.

Members online

No members online now.