Allergy testing

Lisag17

Apr 27, 2022
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Hi all,

My 3 yo guy, Nacho, has a history of severe allergies. He's been relatively stable from a skin and digestive standpoint on cytopoint, apoquel, and hypoallergenic food for the last year and a half or so (I know some are against these meds, but it's brought him relief, so im not looking to debate this point). He just recently started to get very red, irritated, itchy skin around and under his muzzle. Our general vet, who we trust, is recommending allergy testing with a dermatologist.

This dermatologist is a mobile, board certified one who comes to their office to do the testing. She has breed specific protocols and does it under light sedation. My question is, who has done this for their EB? How did they do? Was in helpful in the long run? Thanks in advance.

Photo for attention 🤣

Lisa

Attachments

• 20231105_130052.jpg
    20231105_130052.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! Your boy is so freakin handsome!!!

I have never heard of a sedation allergy test. Also, I could be wrong, but you would have to be off all the immune suppression medications for 30 days to get a correct reading of the results of the allergy test... is that true for this type of test too? The irritation could be from turning on the heat if you are in an area that is now in the winter weather.

My current guy was on cytopoint an it did great things for him. My previous boy was on serum shots that never really worked for him, he was allergic to everything green (grass, trees etc) for those allergies, we wiped his paws/belly and face after every trip outside. He was also allergic to chicken, rice, all dairy and corn. For him we did the blood test for to identify his allergies, doubt the test you are referring to now was around back then (2005). But, once we removed all those things from his food, he was a new dog. We were feeding the prescription food until we did the tests, then went to Fromm for awhile but eventually to raw.

I'm not a fan of apoquel for long term use, it is very hard on the liver. But as you stated, it works for him, just something to keep in mind.

I'm not a fan of the prescription foods because they have a lot of fillers in them and no real nutritional value. I know you don't want to go there, but the food could be the issue... not all but many bulldogs have issue with the ingredients that are in those prescription foods.

OP
L

Lisag17

Apr 27, 2022
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Thanks for your input and feedback! So, this dermatologist does light sedation to aid with tolerance to the injections for skin allergy testing. I was also informed that he will only need to be off of antihistamines and steroids prior to the testing. They said we could continue the cytopoint and apoquel. Awaiting an official email from the dermatologist to confirm. Thanks again!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I did an intradermal skin allergy test on my Frenchie many years ago and I believe he was lightly sedated. He is allergic to everything green outside. He was on Apoquel and needed weekly baths and paw soaks. Then Cytopoint came out and we switched him to that. Best decision ever for him. He no longer needs weekly baths and doesn’t scratch himself raw anymore. A couple years ago, I added in a skin and coat supplement which I think helps him go a few months between injections. He is also raw fed which I think helps as well but the Cytopoint has definitely given him a better quality of life as far as his allergies go.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for your input and feedback! So, this dermatologist does light sedation to aid with tolerance to the injections for skin allergy testing. I was also informed that he will only need to be off of antihistamines and steroids prior to the testing. They said we could continue the cytopoint and apoquel. Awaiting an official email from the dermatologist to confirm. Thanks again!
Please keep us posted --- love to understand the testing and results you get.

Members online

No members online now.