ORIJEN/ACANA

icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
Is orijen food to protein rich to feed for a 6yr old female bully?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It (Acana)sure fattened up our crew, and we've cut their dosing back 20%. If they don't burn it off this summer we'll be cutting back some more.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Orijen Regional Red is 39% protein, 449 kcal per 8 oz cup. In contrast Fromm Pork and peas is 29% protein, 410 kcal per cup, Honest Kitchen Spruce is 24% protein and 506 kcal per cup. So the Orijen has very high amounts of protein. As long as you feed appropriate amounts of Orijen for your dog and your dog is not known to have kidney problems and her stools are firm I don't see any harm in feeding a high protein diet. Dogs in the wild eat very high concentrations of protein. I passed by a roadkill rabbit someone had put on the grass next to the sidewalk today and my dog was trying to get at it. I used to feed Orijen to my 7 yr old French Bulldog, but I'm on a journey to try to stop her from licking her paws, so I'm currently trying out dehydrated raw. So far it's helping a bit.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Is orijen food to protein rich to feed for a 6yr old female bully?

Like most knows Orijen and Acana for me is hands down the best. Yes rich in protein but if your dog is active there is NO issues. My GS only ate orijen the blue bag. Even at 8yrs old he was still very healthy and jumping everywhere. He ate 2cups a day aside from his friuts, snacks, marrow bones etc. Nyala is 20 ish months old and eats, raw, home cooking, honest kitchen, spot farms, Acana duck or lamb and shes healthy n moves a lot. Very active dog. Duke eats raw and Acana puppy. Very active puppy. So I dont see why not. Go for it. Not more than 2 cups per day. You can give a bit less if she eats other things like, real fruits, veggies, Greek yogurt etc.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Just saw there was a sale this week at Petsmart Canada, 40.00 off on 100.00 and over purchase, which they seem to do monthly. So I bought 3x 2 pounds bags of Only Natural Easy Raw Grain Free Turkey and 1 x 2 pound bags of beef, https://www.petsmart.ca/dog/food/dry-food/only-natural-pet-easyraw-dog-food---raw-grain-free-dehydrated-turkey-and-sweet-potato-31483.html , and cost me 60.00 instead of 100.00 The meat is freeze dried and the veggies and fruit are dehydrated, so it seems good quality. My dog has still been licking paws on the Canisource Grand Cru Beef, which isn't grain free. Canisource makes a dehydrated raw grain free fish, but I'm trying to avoid fish due to heavy metal contamination in our oceans. Ill let you know how it turns out [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] in about 8 weeks.

Like most knows Orijen and Acana for me is hands down the best. Yes rich in protein but if your dog is active there is NO issues. My GS only ate orijen the blue bag. Even at 8yrs old he was still very healthy and jumping everywhere. He ate 2cups a day aside from his friuts, snacks, marrow bones etc. Nyala is 20 ish months old and eats, raw, home cooking, honest kitchen, spot farms, Acana duck or lamb and shes healthy n moves a lot. Very active dog. Duke eats raw and Acana puppy. Very active puppy. So I dont see why not. Go for it. Not more than 2 cups per day. You can give a bit less if she eats other things like, real fruits, veggies, Greek yogurt etc.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Oh, and I was unable to source Spot Farms dehydrated raw dog food in area where I live (Thornhill). The Petsmart promotion works by buying it online and getting that serious discount, and then going into store and picking it up. I did it twice before, first time worked ok and second time they refunded my money in about an hour automatically since they realized their store didn't have any stock.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, and I was unable to source Spot Farms dehydrated raw dog food in area where I live (Thornhill). The Petsmart promotion works by buying it online and getting that serious discount, and then going into store and picking it up. I did it twice before, first time worked ok and second time they refunded my money in about an hour automatically since they realized their store didn't have any stock.

Oh that's a great deal! Spot farms the only issue I would have to say it's like mash potatoes. I use one cup as per what she was having with HK n 2 cups of boiling water. I make 3 meals with it. I do add Acana duck but only 1/3cup. Her first time on duck n no issues so far. Her stools are a bit harder so I add coconut oil.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Why boiling water? Isn't warm water ok ?

Oh that's a great deal! Spot farms the only issue I would have to say it's like mash potatoes. I use one cup as per what she was having with HK n 2 cups of boiling water. I make 3 meals with it. I do add Acana duck but only 1/3cup. Her first time on duck n no issues so far. Her stools are a bit harder so I add coconut oil.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Idk warm sounds yucky. Like would you drink warm coffee or tea or warm meals? Im sure your answer is no lol im in the food industry and its more of a habit...i see n hear a lot....I rather boil it in case something is wrong with SP. I know water in Canada is extremely rare we get a boiling alert. But....... it's more me. I'll do that extra step to avoid issues. Dont ask ! Lol

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Oh ok, I don't need to because I only give my bullies water filtered through a carbon block counter top filter, most recently the Aquasana AQ-4000 countertop filter. Now if I could only get my son to use it :)

Idk warm sounds yucky. Like would you drink warm coffee or tea or warm meals? Im sure your answer is no lol im in the food industry and its more of a habit...i see n hear a lot....I rather boil it in case something is wrong with SP. I know water in Canada is extremely rare we get a boiling alert. But....... it's more me. I'll do that extra step to avoid issues. Dont ask ! Lol

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

We soak Castor's kibble (Orijen) in boiled hot water. Water here is great but I've always heard you shouldn't drink warm water from the tap. Possible corrosion from the pipes, I think?

Members online

No members online now.