Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: thinking of putting him on raw

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: thinking of putting him on raw

On the transition:

Raw is different from cooked/kibbles. It is better to transition completely into raw meat without phasing it in. Raw meat is processed differently in a dog's stomach - it digests much much faster. Cooked/kibbles passes through slower. If you mix cooked and raw meat in the same feeding, the raw food is going to get processed slower. Raw contains more bacteria than cooked. If harmful bacteria is left to sit in the gut, it may start to cause bad reaction on the dog. So, when feeding raw, you want that food to go fast through the system and to the digestive acids that will kill off that bacteria. If the dog is healthy, he should be able to handle the slower processing of raw meat and be fine. But, if the dog is already showing problems - allergies, indigestion, etc. - then this would just be another problem the dog has to deal with.

So, when transitioning to raw meat, my recommendation is to fast the dog so that his gut goes completely empty (24 hours for adults, 12-24 hours for puppies), and then completely switch to raw.

If you have to feed a mix of raw meat and cooked, then it is better to feed all raw meat in one feeding, then feed the cooked food 12 hours later.

In addition: How much you feed a puppy will depend on his projected adult weight, not his puppy weight. If the package comes with a recommended daily serving, follow that guideline first. Then you add or subtract after a few days or a week of observation. Dog getting too fat - reduce the amount. Dog getting too skinny - increase the amount. If you're going on your own (not pre-packaged stuff) - start with 3% of the dog's projected adult weight... for example, if your puppy is projected to be 50 lbs as an adult, then you can start feeding him on 1.5 lbs of raw food per day.

Hope this helps.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

2. Likes harveyspecter liked this post

thats brilliant thank you very much anatess

it says as a guide to feed 2to 3% of body weight on raw is this right ?? if so if he weighs 25kg how many grams should he have ??

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

500g-750g, but if your bully is not very active start with 500g.

ok thanks alot ,and just raw nothing else ie biscuits ,mixer etc etc

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stott View Post
    ok thanks alot ,and just raw nothing else ie biscuits ,mixer etc etc
    For me, it's entirely up to you. i used to not give my boy anything cooked or store bought treats but now i got lazy and i just buy him treats from doggie stores but i make sure to always check the ingredients and where it's made.

well archie is loving his raw diet but his stools are so hard and constipated ,and his tear stains are getting bad any ideas ??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads