well Hanks gone and done it, A REAL aggressive move towards me, him mom :(

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I think chemical castration drugs would be quite expensive. I would only try that if you are thinking of breeding him. Better yet, breed him now, then neuter him.

Yes, it is probably quite expensive, but for a year or so, to check whether the behaviour issues can be linked to hormone levels, it might be worth considering as it is not definite.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I had Monty neutered when he was 4 yrs a few months after we got him. Not because of any aggression but because he was marking everywhere and my other dog was scared of him! It all changed for the better. No more marking and my coward dog decided Monty was OK.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I want to thank you all so very much for all your input. A lot of thinking going on here (as well as fishing and enjoying this trip) and the one who absolutely did not want him neutered (not health or anything, just a 'guy' thing) is now on the 'must be neutered' path. I do believe it's going to be done. I know it's my responsibility to nip this and work to solve it, but because i would not be breeding him, and i kept them for him for 17 months, it just may happen. Im pretty sad about it as i feel like a failure for letting this happen, but he will be my baby with or without THEM so i will just have to make peace with it and then take it from there. It's hard being on vacation with his dad being worysome now, but it'll will work out....thanks again...

Please don't feel like a failure if you decide to neuter him... sometimes it just needs to be done. Honestly in all the research that I did on the subject some male dogs carry TOO much testosterone. That can cause problems for their human families, and other male dogs especially... I wish you all the best of luck!

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
again, thank you !!!!! it's so amazingly amazing how we can go rounds with our own thoughts on these dang dogs (our family) of ours.... I love him so much and want whats right.... this may sound 'gooie' but i love you guys for all you help with ....

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Jill... I don't know if you remember, but we went thru a bought of aggression w/Walter. I actually had 2 trainers involved, and went thru a thorough vet exam including x-rays and labs. I had initially planned on NOT having Walter neutered (he was almost 3) but overwhelmingly that was the first step that everyone suggested we complete first. Wally also has an anal gland issue, so I waited to make doubly sure that the glands weren't the main culprit. About a month after Walter was neutered we noticed a HUGE change in his behavior, now he is like the sweet ol' bully that we remember from his earlier days. He STILL had his anal issue, but I 100% believe his aggression was related to his testosterone levels. He was very aggressive to my hubby & son (the males in the home) and I was extremely worried that his male/hate aggression would transfer to my grandson.

Just going back over stuff here and at this point ;) I'm super happy to read this (again),,, and all other as well! but since he has an appointment tomorrow, this is where I'm leaning as far as need to hears :) I have read so much over this week and feel that even though I still would like to have keept 'them' I feel resolved about my decision. I realize that part of my desire to keep was as a statement to the good nature of the bulldog with or without them. He is one of the sweetest kids around, but he was accepted in my home with the agreement that he would be neutered so it's not completely my choice. I have questioned the vasectomy as well, but at this point, I feel that I don't see anymore need to keep any excess T for him or I to deal with. I almost feel that I'm being kind to let him just be Hank, not MR bad 'A' Hank ... lol I can actually see (I think) when he's struggling with an OD of T. Anyway, I love the kid, and am doing what I hope to be best and know I am doing with as much thought as I can muster :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending best wishes to Hank (and you) for his surgery. He will do well, I am sure and won't even know what's missing! He will not look through his legs and think "Oh my God,what has happened!" That's the plus for being a dog!:luv:

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
So sorry to hear that! I am sure you will get him back on track!

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Sending best wishes to Hank (and you) for his surgery. He will do well, I am sure and won't even know what's missing! He will not look through his legs and think "Oh my God,what has happened!" That's the plus for being a dog!:luv:

this cracked me up :) Yep, the advantage of being a dog ;) I cant even believe how calm I am and resolved once the decision was made. I really struggled till I read till .......... well you know the deal.......... your head explodes... He and I will be fine, and I am diligently taking my 'role' seriously now so as to make this an even better relationship :O He's such a good boy, absolutely (nearly) perfect, we both just went off track for a bit... anyway, thanks :)

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Best of luck to you and Hank

Well thank you Wes, it's a done deal, he flew threw with flying colors and is full of spit and vinegar... Hard to hold this kid down. I am actually relieved as he doesn't seem to mind a bit.. He's my bud :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Glad to hear he came through with no problems ! From what I read the half life of testosterone is 2 weeks. so in 2 weeks he will have 50% of normal levels, in 4 weeks he will have 25%, and in 6 weeks 12.5% and in 8 weeks 6.25% and gradually go down to zero. At around 10% of normal levels ( around 6-7 weeks ) you should not expect to see any hormone related behaviour. Apparently for about 2 weeks after neutering he can still sire children as there is residual semen in his tubules for that long.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Glad to hear he came through with no problems ! From what I read the half life of testosterone is 2 weeks. so in 2 weeks he will have 50% of normal levels, in 4 weeks he will have 25%, and in 6 weeks 12.5% and in 8 weeks 6.25% and gradually go down to zero. At around 10% of normal levels ( around 6-7 weeks ) you should not expect to see any hormone related behaviour. Apparently for about 2 weeks after neutering he can still sire children as there is residual semen in his tubules for that long.
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] OMG you are toooo much!!! I was spending much of my internet reading yesterday trying to find out that very information. All I found was that it takes about 6 weeks, Which, I kind of liked the fact that he still was getting some T as I had hoped to wait as long as possible ... so that would make him 18 months (to the day) at the doing, but still over 19mo b4 it was not getting. I never cared if he had 'them' just that he got what he needed from them.. ha! so, anyway, thanks,, Great information for one who 'likes to know' these things!! All will be well,. He's a good boy, doesn't seem worse for the wear, and healing well.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
All's well that (his) ends well! Happy that Hank is doing well,and will continue to do so. [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION]

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
All's well that (his) ends well! Happy that Hank is doing well,and will continue to do so. [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION]

Thank you [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] :) and cute ;) these guys/dogs are such blessings to us so we always want to do our best. That's what we strive for :-)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I hope Hank is recovering well from his "snip"!

Members online

No members online now.