Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Im going to say something and some will roll their eyes but that's ok. This is MY opinion...yes MY MY MYYYY opinion. Very true some dogs needs to have their "testies" as you put it..be addressed. But it's not all dogs. Hank's probably has to but who knows. Ive seen numerous dogs still with their jewels and not aggressive whatsoever. Does snip snip cure aggressions? You would need a Crystal Ball. I know it sure didnt do anything castrated my GS. He was worst. But that was him. I find its a personal topic for sure. On weds Duke is having his vasectomy done cause it's on the contract to get him neutered. I dont want him neutered or castrated so i opt for vasectomy even through the breeder didnt like it she didnt say much cause she knows im not going to breed. I want Duke to keep his little jewels and go through life with his hormones. Again that's ME!! If i need to discipline if he reacts i will. That's my responsibility. Only one boss under my roof and sure wasnt or isn't going to be a dog. These so call studies dogs live longer or healthier lives if they are neutered. Im sorry but that's BS. Just read in here would be a good example or dogs youve seen and heard throughout your live time. They still can get cancer or other sickness and most dogs dont live till they are 15 like when i was younger. They still get.little issues with eyes, bald spots, allergies, infections and all that jazz. Has nothing to do with getting your dog neutered and they'll live healthier. It's life, it's wbat you feed them just like humans. Aggression is and can be "testies" but boils down to the owners for discipline. So that's MY 2 cents on neutering cause of aggression.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Trust me Helene, i do take your opinion into thought hugely!! and really felt that this neuter stuff was not for hank!!!! He is a gentle boy and not dominant to me ever!! (well, pull on the leash stuff yea but not pushy,,, always willing to sit, stay, lay down, give me the ball, spit out what ever is in his mouth) .... and then this.... twice!!! And i hate to say it but it really had my heart racing as much as i wanted to 'act' in control,,,, my legs were shaking... I dont know if i could have held him down if i wanted to,,,,, OR, mabie i would have held him so tight something bad would have happened... Im 66yr old pretty fit old lady, but just something im not sure i want to 'play' with. His dad (he's my long time 50 years) friend who is my dear love was ready to 'shoot the bastard' lol... But it wasnt funny at the moment as here i was trying to be cool, telling him not to move his foot cause i was afraid Hank would just grab something, and then him wanting to protect.me..... ok,,,,, no after all that being said,,,, Hank never opened his mouth at either us OR the chair,,, no teeth were involved, but he was zoned on NOT doing what i wanted and a very vicious growl....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Trust me Helene, i do take your opinion into thought hugely!! and really felt that this neuter stuff was not for hank!!!! He is a gentle boy and not dominant to me ever!! (well, pull on the leash stuff yea but not pushy,,, always willing to sit, stay, lay down, give me the ball, spit out what ever is in his mouth) .... and then this.... twice!!! And i hate to say it but it really had my heart racing as much as i wanted to 'act' in control,,,, my legs were shaking... I dont know if i could have held him down if i wanted to,,,,, OR, mabie i would have held him so tight something bad would have happened... Im 66yr old pretty fit old lady, but just something im not sure i want to 'play' with. His dad (he's my long time 50 years) friend who is my dear love was ready to 'shoot the bastard' lol... But it wasnt funny at the moment as here i was trying to be cool, telling him not to move his foot cause i was afraid Hank would just grab something, and then him wanting to protect.me..... ok,,,,, no after all that being said,,,, Hank never opened his mouth at either us OR the chair,,, no teeth were involved, but he was zoned on NOT doing what i wanted and a very vicious growl....

Im not saying not to do it whatsoever. Always up the the owner and sure not me. Like I said, you would need a crystal ball but sadly we dont have crystal ball just dog balls! :D You do whatever you feel is right. It's your decision n nobody's else. Btw forgot to mention, all dogs should wear a choker or a solid collar. Anything can happen as they are animals. You need some sort of a grip if something does happen testies or NOT!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So sorry to hear what happened. Neutering shouldn't hurt Hank's health, and it's the right thing to do I think in this case.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I've found that the smarter the bully, the more personality and bigger battles with them! Congratulations on the decision to chop the suckers off! :up: I'm a huge proponent of spaying and neutering. Unfortunately, they're are WAY too many Bullies and others breeds, mutts, etc that need good loving homes with responsibility owners.

Told ya it wasn't too popular :p

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry to hear Hank has misbehaved - and such a situation would have scared me too. Coming from a country where most dogs are intact, my initial thought would not be to neuter him. However, I have not been in your situation and what eg [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] says seems wise so I'm not suggesting you shouldn't proceed if you feel this is what's best for Hank and your family. I wonder, though, if you have considered what I think is called chemical castration? I know that people here who are considering neutering try that for a year or so before making the final decision. As far as I know, it gives the same effect but does not involve surgery. I suppose it would give you a chansen to see if hormones are the issue.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think chemical castration drugs would be quite expensive. I would only try that if you are thinking of breeding him. Better yet, breed him now, then neuter him.

Sorry to hear Hank has misbehaved - and such a situation would have scared me too. Coming from a country where most dogs are intact, my initial thought would not be to neuter him. However, I have not been in your situation and what eg [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] says seems wise so I'm not suggesting you shouldn't proceed if you feel this is what's best for Hank and your family. I wonder, though, if you have considered what I think is called chemical castration? I know that people here who are considering neutering try that for a year or so before making the final decision. As far as I know, it gives the same effect but does not involve surgery. I suppose it would give you a chansen to see if hormones are the issue.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Ok, I pretty much know what needs to be done,, but will very much appreciate hearing all anyone has to offer. I know he loves me and have always thought he knows im alpha, but im guessing somewhere along the line, or his age, or his growing testicles, My 'alpha' went out the window. Last eve, when i asked him to get off the bed (he went to pee on it! in our lodge ! and something hes never ever done since adult) i very sternly said NO and told him off the bed.. His head lowered, he stared, and jumped at me like he would have bit if he could have. Not having a dreaded broom, i picked up a chair, pushed him off because he really seemed to stay with his aggression, and i put him in a corner with two chairs blocking him. He was mortified, and even when i moved the chairs, he stayed there another hour. During the night he wanted up on the bed but i did not allow. His dads immediate reaction is "he's gone!!" he was horrified! and of course protective of me.. Well, Hanks not going anywhere, i will work with this, but i do know it has to be nipped in the bud! anyway, he's nearing 17 months, has his testies but never seemed to miss behave because of them, about a month ago, he did this when asked out of my chair. so, one thing that has absolutely stopped is dads roughhousing!!!! never again with that! Also, just something both times that seemed to trigger it was my very loud voice. It was almost like it scarred him and he got protective of himself. I just dont know... Love advice from you bulldog people.

Jill I have gone thru this with Bulldogs and other breeds .
If this is the first time it has happened then it is a test , the pee on the bed is a perfect example of trying to be Alpha then the aggression right after to enforce that action in my view is a test .
When it has happened to Me ( from both male and female I have had it happen) the pee is one thing what I do not tolerate EVER is the aggression and I do not tolerate it IMMEDIATELY I let the dog know in No uncertain terms that will not be tolerated ever !!! I use aggression right back and hard aggression usually that is the end of it or even the second time .
If you see dogs in a pack that is exactly how they do it and really you have a pack and your the Alpha , My advice to you is do NOT tolerate it right away or Hank might think he can get away with it which causes other issues later.
Oh and BTW I have also had this happen with both female and male. Neutering or female fixing makes no difference I have had both eith fixed or not fixed do this , to me it is all part of growing up Bulldog style just like teenagers in human life .

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Jill... I don't know if you remember, but we went thru a bought of aggression w/Walter. I actually had 2 trainers involved, and went thru a thorough vet exam including x-rays and labs. I had initially planned on NOT having Walter neutered (he was almost 3) but overwhelmingly that was the first step that everyone suggested we complete first. Wally also has an anal gland issue, so I waited to make doubly sure that the glands weren't the main culprit. About a month after Walter was neutered we noticed a HUGE change in his behavior, now he is like the sweet ol' bully that we remember from his earlier days. He STILL had his anal issue, but I 100% believe his aggression was related to his testosterone levels. He was very aggressive to my hubby & son (the males in the home) and I was extremely worried that his male/hate aggression would transfer to my grandson.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I want to thank you all so very much for all your input. A lot of thinking going on here (as well as fishing and enjoying this trip) and the one who absolutely did not want him neutered (not health or anything, just a 'guy' thing) is now on the 'must be neutered' path. I do believe it's going to be done. I know it's my responsibility to nip this and work to solve it, but because i would not be breeding him, and i kept them for him for 17 months, it just may happen. Im pretty sad about it as i feel like a failure for letting this happen, but he will be my baby with or without THEM so i will just have to make peace with it and then take it from there. It's hard being on vacation with his dad being worysome now, but it'll will work out....thanks again...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I want to thank you all so very much for all your input. A lot of thinking going on here (as well as fishing and enjoying this trip) and the one who absolutely did not want him neutered (not health or anything, just a 'guy' thing) is now on the 'must be neutered' path. I do believe it's going to be done. I know it's my responsibility to nip this and work to solve it, but because i would not be breeding him, and i kept them for him for 17 months, it just may happen. Im pretty sad about it as i feel like a failure for letting this happen, but he will be my baby with or without THEM so i will just have to make peace with it and then take it from there. It's hard being on vacation with his dad being worysome now, but it'll will work out....thanks again...
Duke is having his vasectomy done as im typing this. Maybe go that way so Hank keeps his little jewels. Just a thought. Enjoy your vacation!! Hank is fine now so go have fun!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Duke is having his vasectomy done as im typing this. Maybe go that way so Hank keeps his little jewels. Just a thought. Enjoy your vacation!! Hank is fine now so go have fun!!!

Don't thinks a vasectomy affects the hormone testosterone,just the fertility/sperm.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't thinks a vasectomy affects the hormone testosterone,just the fertility/sperm.

From what ive read and asked the vet who also worked on Nyala, he said it does calm them down. Not like a neutered or castration job but brings them down a few notches. Guess we'll see

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

Oh boy!!! I bet you'll be glad when it's done. Although you seem to handle things a whole lot better than well me LOL love to hear when he's out :) I am going to do some more reading tonight as to vasectomy

Members online