Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Like I said it can be the food and to be certain go raw. Also raw has tons of moisture. I know a few breeders of poodles, yorkies n westies that their pups are so bad in stains as they get older it's not even funny. I mentioned breeders as it's a fact a lot of them will not wait till their dogs are over the period acidity time of any dogs which is usually 18months old before breeding. Im not saying they are all like that. You get the knowledgeable ones and the money maker ones and of course the clueless ones. It is what it is. You just need to change their diets.

Louie's mom was 2 when she was bred and this was her first litter. I can't go full raw right now because he has cystinuria so I need to just watch the protein % of what he eats until he gets neutered. HK has at least 4 formulas with 26% protein so I am going to pick some up and I'll do some Acana Singles for his breakfast.

But now that eyelashes have been mentioned, that very well may be the cause. I do remember at Louie's first vet visit, the vet mentioning his eyelashes could cause some issues but that it was possible he would outgrow it. Jax has his wellness appointment next week so I am bringing Louie too so the vet can take a look at his eyelashes and I can see where we're at.

Whose idea was it to get another dog? HAHAHAHAHA...oh wait, it was mine. He's lucky he's so cute!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
soooooooooooo, is this when the acv comes in handy? to alkaline them?? I mean, as in now, while they're in our care..

It wont hurt that's for sure. It's very hard to determine what goes in a body that's to acidity. Grains, high protein meats, sugars, fish, certain dairy products are just a few. It's all about balance. My sister has 3 poodles one black n 2 white. Both white has bad tears stains that days they look like raccoons. She's tried everything from the vet, from the breeder and I know she has a water filtered system in her house. She goes to the groomer on regular basis, the vet for nail clipping etc. She really takes care of her babies. But still bad stains. I even saw photo's of the breeder's dogs. Stains!!! Only thing left I told her is change their diet. I love my sister but she's the type that will listen ONLY to her vet. Same guy that told her to put her dogs on RC which she did for a while....:w00t: so I dropped the subject. I gave up. :yes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie's mom was 2 when she was bred and this was her first litter. I can't go full raw right now because he has cystinuria so I need to just watch the protein % of what he eats until he gets neutered. HK has at least 4 formulas with 26% protein so I am going to pick some up and I'll do some Acana Singles for his breakfast.

But now that eyelashes have been mentioned, that very well may be the cause. I do remember at Louie's first vet visit, the vet mentioning his eyelashes could cause some issues but that it was possible he would outgrow it. Jax has his wellness appointment next week so I am bringing Louie too so the vet can take a look at his eyelashes and I can see where we're at.

Whose idea was it to get another dog? HAHAHAHAHA...oh wait, it was mine. He's lucky he's so cute!

Funny, I went with Duke this morning to the vet. First time and I didn't bring Nyala. Her face behind the french door was like....what about me???? You forgetting me???? why im I not going with you guys??? Type of questions. Lol

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Funny, I went with Duke this morning to the vet. First time and I didn't bring Nyala. Her face behind the french door was like....what about me???? You forgetting me???? why im I not going with you guys??? Type of questions. Lol

Hahahaha...Louie's very first I had to bring Jax too cause he needed his bortadella for daycare. Oh my god, having both of them there was like having a million toddlers running around. Hahaha...I will make my boyfriend come with me so he can control one of them.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Speaking of vets........... I am so embarrassed to go with hank... I've always had such well mannered dogs that are a pleasure to treat... But Hank, NOPE! He's a lunatic!!!!!!! so darn happy to see strangers it's pathetic! No way could I take two in at the same time!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Speaking of vets........... I am so embarrassed to go with hank... I've always had such well mannered dogs that are a pleasure to treat... But Hank, NOPE! He's a lunatic!!!!!!! so darn happy to see strangers it's pathetic! No way could I take two in at the same time!

Jax was already a handful at the vet. He doesn't care at all that he is at the vet's office...everyone he sees he needs to greet and get love. And the vet loves him and always lets Jax jump all over him and lick his face. Now I have that times two!! So yeah, two of them at the vet is a challenge but I'd rather bring them both instead of having to go twice. I will just bring reinforcements with me...the boyfriend!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Jax was already a handful at the vet. He doesn't care at all that he is at the vet's office...everyone he sees he needs to greet and get love. And the vet loves him and always lets Jax jump all over him and lick his face. Now I have that times two!! So yeah, two of them at the vet is a challenge but I'd rather bring them both instead of having to go twice. I will just bring reinforcements with me...the boyfriend!!

Ha! yes!! the Boyfriend ;) Just take some patient pills and be kind to eachother... lol, I only say that as my BF and I once went to a pet friendly restaurant with HANK! He held him but!!!!!!!!!!!! he is so much more nonchalant about him than me and so I had to use every bit of patience in me to cope with the both of them...lol Talk ahead about how you will handle they're 'love of vets'...HA!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ha! yes!! the Boyfriend ;) Just take some patient pills and be kind to eachother... lol, I only say that as my BF and I once went to a pet friendly restaurant with HANK! He held him but!!!!!!!!!!!! he is so much more nonchalant about him than me and so I had to use every bit of patience in me to cope with the both of them...lol Talk ahead about how you will handle they're 'love of vets'...HA!

I know some dogs HATE going to the vet. So is it that bulldogs just love people and don't care where they're going or do I just have two knuckleheads? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
well I have one knucklehead that has the force of three!! lol enjoy :)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Just a thought.... Are you sure his eyelashes aren't bothering his eyes?
This is a good suggestion, ask your vet to check his eyes for entropion and eyelashes.
he has tear stains, no doubt.
From my experience with Tank, one of Acana foods, I think it was Duck and Pear (not sure where it was made, US or Canada, as it was a year ago and in China), gave him tear stains, or, as he has black mask, You couldn't see them, but his eye discharge was brown. Looked quite scary. Like you know, in the morning you wipe little eye snot and it should be whitish, transparent, but it was brown, and if his face were white, he would have bad tear stains. Also, amount of discharge was increased. I discontinued Acana, because he had loose stools also, then had a long period of trying medical foods, and finally started home cooking. Never had brown tears since then. And don't worry, they disappear pretty soon when you find right food.
What I want to say is, that I think it is unpredictable if your baby will have tear stains from certain food or not. I think it is very individual reaction, in some dogs some component causes dark tears. I'm not sure that it is grains or something else.
I think you should concentrate on finding suitable food for him, do slow change, and I think any kind of non-kibble food will work better for this problem. I don't think you should concentrate on tear removing remedies, they are pricey, but you must get rid of cause, not consequences. Also you say that eyes are running. If vet excludes entropion and eyelash irritation (most probably), running eyes also mean slight allergy, and you can face even more problems in the future. Raw skin in the folds, fur will fall out there etc. Not mentioning that feeding food which your dog is sensitive is a way to disaster.
So, my advice is - change food!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
This is a good suggestion, ask your vet to check his eyes for entropion and eyelashes.
he has tear stains, no doubt.
From my experience with Tank, one of Acana foods, I think it was Duck and Pear (not sure where it was made, US or Canada, as it was a year ago and in China), gave him tear stains, or, as he has black mask, You couldn't see them, but his eye discharge was brown. Looked quite scary. Like you know, in the morning you wipe little eye snot and it should be whitish, transparent, but it was brown, and if his face were white, he would have bad tear stains. Also, amount of discharge was increased. I discontinued Acana, because he had loose stools also, then had a long period of trying medical foods, and finally started home cooking. Never had brown tears since then. And don't worry, they disappear pretty soon when you find right food.
What I want to say is, that I think it is unpredictable if your baby will have tear stains from certain food or not. I think it is very individual reaction, in some dogs some component causes dark tears. I'm not sure that it is grains or something else.
I think you should concentrate on finding suitable food for him, do slow change, and I think any kind of non-kibble food will work better for this problem. I don't think you should concentrate on tear removing remedies, they are pricey, but you must get rid of cause, not consequences. Also you say that eyes are running. If vet excludes entropion and eyelash irritation (most probably), running eyes also mean slight allergy, and you can face even more problems in the future. Raw skin in the folds, fur will fall out there etc. Not mentioning that feeding food which your dog is sensitive is a way to disaster.
So, my advice is - change food!

Got Acana lamb and apple and HK Force. Will do transition to Acana and after that bring in the HK for a meal or two each day. He's still eating three meals a day and probably will until the end of September.

He sees the vet next Thursday to check on the eyelashes.

And once he gets neutered, he's going on raw!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Got Acana lamb and apple and HK Force. Will do transition to Acana and after that bring in the HK for a meal or two each day. He's still eating three meals a day and probably will until the end of September.

And once he gets neutered, he's going on raw!

Hank did real good on the Acana Lamb and apple, and the fish one too. According to my notes, he was getting those spots of hair loss and they went away when he went on the fish. I think it was just coinsadental though. ... Never tried Force, only Marvel and the two non meat ones. ..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank did real good on the Acana Lamb and apple, and the fish one too. According to my notes, he was getting those spots of hair loss and they went away when he went on the fish. I think it was just coinsadental though. ... Never tried Force, only Marvel and the two non meat ones. ..

Fish is very good as its loaded of omegas. That will help for sure if you cant feed all raw or HC. .

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

And once he gets neutered, he's going on raw! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duke's been eating 2x a day for a couple weeks now. If I feed him 3x he poops a lot more and it wasnt far from 8-9 times of pooping. Nowiits same amount but divided into 2x and poops 4x a day which is much easier to control the toilet training. Oh and he's growing at a normal rate.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fish is very good as its loaded of omegas. That will help for sure if you cant feed all raw or HC. .

I have been adding a little bit of the Stella & Chewy's meal mixers salmon and cod to his breakfast so he can get omegas and a little bit of "raw." Also, sometimes I will feed Jax sardines so I'll give Louie a little bit too. These boys LOVE their seafood!

Duke's been eating 2x a day for a couple weeks now. If I feed him 3x he poops a lot more and it wasnt far from 8-9 times of pooping. Nowiits same amount but divided into 2x and poops 4x a day which is much easier to control the toilet training. Oh and he's growing at a normal rate.

When Louie first came home he was pooping like crazy. Now that he has adjusted, he seems to be 4 or 5 times a day. How much do you feed Duke per day? About a week or so ago I weighed Louie and he was 30 pounds. He was a little underweight and then he got sick so lost a couple of pounds. I increased his food from 2 cups a day to a little over 2 1/4 and he is steadily gaining weight now. Not sure if he is still underweight, he is 5 months old. Standing from the side I think he looks good. If you look from the top, you can definitely see a waist, which you want, but I'm not sure if it's too much waist. I'll see what the vet says next week.

So I am wondering if I should feed the same amount per day of the Acana and HK? I think Acana is richer than Fromm??